JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Since it doesn't say anything about the steel or country of origin, I'd say it's from China and of a mystery steel.
If you want a good cheap Chinese bowie to use, get a Western or Winchester at Sportsman's for $20 on sale.

A "collector" reproduction, sure is pretty, but it's hard to tell about the quality. I think I'll grind the clip on mine to look like it.
To me this is what a real Bowie looks like.
Here it is for sale as a licensed replica.
There are tons of them available, the movie people must be getting a good royalty from the sales.

The Alamo Jim Bowie 17.5" Bowie Knife w Leather Sheath Officially Licensed New | eBay

I'm not really impressed with the look of the sheath, but what the heck that is easy to fix.

Gabby

Last Edited:
A "collector" reproduction, sure is pretty, but it's hard to tell about the quality. I think I'll grind the clip on mine to look like it.
To me this is what a real Bowie looks like.
Here it is for sale as a licensed replica.

The Alamo Jim Bowie 17.5" Bowie Knife w Leather Sheath Officially Licensed New | eBay

I'm not really impressed with the look of the sheath, but what the heck that is easy to fix.

Gabby
That is a copy of a movie Bowie. The original design is well known. Many were made in Europe for civil war soldiers. It was a popular gift for a family or community member off to the battle. Many were made in both Sheffield and Solingen.

That is a copy of a movie Bowie. The original design is well known. Many were made in Europe for civil war soldiers. It was a popular gift for a family or community member off to the battle. Many were made in both Sheffield and Solingen.
Yup I know its Hollywood, but I love the design! And it is very similar to some of those European Bowie knives, but they weren't any more the true knife than this one or any other. It was lost at the Alamo remember. There are now as many Bowie knives as there are knife makers, actually more because they often have different models. From what I've read, the Blacksmith that made the first one even made copies, but not exact ones as he made improvements to the design. So take your pick whichever one looks best to you, Sort of your very own Iron Mistress. :s0045:
Gabby

Last Edited:
The recent research says that it wasn't Jim but his brother Rezin that designed and made the knives. There is an article that talks about it in this (or last?) months True West magazine. Like most popularized stories, myths were promulgated by the dime novelists of the day. Off course, Jim died at the Alamo but his brother was the real trail maker. so, I am sure there was one at the Alamo but probably not the only one. The blades are described as 8 1/4 inches long and 1 1/4 inches wide.......kind of long and skinny.

Last Edited:
The reticent research says that it wasn't Jim but his brother Rezin that designed and made the knives. There is an article that talks about it in this (or last?) months True West magazine. Like most popularized stories, myths were promulgated by the dime novelists of the day. Off course, Jim died at the Alamo but his brother was the real trail maker. so, I am sure there was one at the Alamo but probably not the only one.

Do you mean to say Recent Research?

As you say there are many myths, and there really isn't any way to prove or disprove any of it, so lets just say it is an iconic design that many have copied in one form or another that stirs the imagination of any warm blooded boy or man, and possibly a few of the other sex! :D
No need for us to get into a snit or anything over it, there are many beautiful "Bowie" designs and some resonate with us and others don't. To each his own! I sort of like the skinny kind! But not too skinny. Just like my women, they have to have the right curves. :rolleyes:
Gabby

Last Edited:
Do you mean to say Recent Research?

As you say there are many myths, and there really isn't any way to prove or disprove any of it, so lets just say it is an iconic design that many have copied in one form or another that stirs the imagination of any warm blooded boy or man, and possibly a few of the other sex! :D
No need for us to get into a snit or anything over it, there are many beautiful "Bowie" designs and some resonate with us and others don't. To each his own!
Gabby
yes, off course but the original design really isn't that large. The movies had to make it bigger to add drama to the camera, just like they make buildings on the set 7/8th the size of real buildings to make the actors look bigger. The original was about the size of a USMC Kabar knife. 1 1/2 inches wide is pretty narrow. My Puma original Bowie blade is about 6 3/4 long and 1 1/4 inches wide.

yes, off course but the original design really isn't that large. The movies had to make it bigger to add drama to the camera, just like they make buildings on the set 7/8th the size of real buildings to make the actors look bigger. The original was about the size of a USMC Kabar knife. 1 1/2 inches wide is pretty narrow. My Puma original Bowie blade is about 6 3/4 long and 1 1/4 inches wide.
Puma makes a beautiful Bowie!
G

If you would like a really nice custom Bowie give my friend Dave a shout. He is in central Washington and does beautiful work. He can work around any design ideas and parameters you give him, and make no doubt these are ultra performers. Sure they look nice but they are built to be high-performance tools.

dav1.jpg dav2.jpg dav3.jpg dav4.jpg

http://davidlisch.com/contact.html

Ah , yes... The Bowie Knife.
No quicker way to start a argument or verbal "knife fight" , with knife connoisseurs , than to say :
"A Bowie knife looks like this..." :eek::D

Much like the fabled "Kentucky Rifle" or "Hawken Rifle" label...A Bowie knife can many many things to many different people.
Over the years and continuing thru to today , there is a thriving industry in making Bowie knives.
With such a long history of fact , myth and outright falsehoods mixed in the story it is easy to understand that one can get tangled up in what should be a simple question of : What is a Bowie knife?"

I do not claim to actually be an expert on knives or even know what a Bowie knife looks like or was.
My main thought and interest , however is just what a "Bowie knife" was to Jim Bowie himself and in the immediate time of his fame...

For this , I think about just where Jim Bowie lived ..which was in the South...Louisiana , Texas , Missouri , areas of French and Spanish influence.
We also need to look at just what goods and the countries they were from , that were available for purchase in these areas.
Again French and Spanish come to mind along with products from England. ( Mainly)
So it seems to me that one needs to look at knives made in the 1820's-30's made from France , Spain and England to begin to get an idea of just what might have been around for Jim to use and be familiar with.

My thoughts are that Jim Bowie used a knife made in France , Spain or England...Or perhaps a American made one with influences from those aforementioned countries.
But this doesn't really tell us just what it looked like...
Since no one took a photo of his actual knife , or knives , after all just how many of us own just one knife?...I think we will never really know for sure just what his knife looked at the time of his fame.
Andy
Edit to add:
Damn , just noticed that this thread dates from 2014...
I'm not saying is a zombie thread...but I'm calling it a Historical Thread...yeah that's the ticket...:D

Last Edited:
My friend that I built the holsters for got a deal all he had to do was pay the shipping
about $6 or 7, and he received this knife or one very like it.
He had to show it to me and I'll have to say I was impressed, it really felt good in the hand and was factory sharp, I touched it up for him :rolleyes:, SS from China or Pakistan, but looks well made, I wouldn't mind having it, not that I really need it, but it's PURDY, what can I say? LOL
Gabby

https://www.amazon.com/Elk-Ridge-ER...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=NJ489KCZBF3KG1BNPB9D

Another

https://www.amazon.com/Elk-Ridge-ER...rd_wg=XiLUm&psc=1&refRID=6DJXH8C3M5S6CV76FRB8

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top