JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After reading that thread about motorcycle racing (particularly about Joey Dunlop) it occurred to me you might like to read about another quiet and unassuming Irishman, Jim Corbett - who hunted man-eating tigers in India.

This book was a best-seller in 1945. Imagine, true stories about hunting!

The pdf appears to be the version in the best shape. There are some blank pages up front, just scroll through them. Prepare to read, and to feel your hair stand up on the back of your neck...

https://ia902604.us.archive.org/32/items/maneatersofkumao029903mbp/maneatersofkumao029903mbp.pdf

I read the Man Eaters of Kumoan over fifty years ago, when I was about 10 years old. It made a big impression on me at the time, and I still remember the matter-of-fact tone as he was describing some very tense situations.

Corbett was no swaggering braggart. He was a dedicated professional hunter who didn't have to exaggerate his feats. I wish we had more men (and women) like him these days.

My favorite tiger story was about some British SAS officers traveling through Japanese held Burmese mountains in WW2.
Their native guides stopped early to made camp at the top of a mountain pass and refused to go down into the next valley until day break the next morning.
The British Commandos tried to talk the guides into continuing down the trail because there was plenty of daylight left. They wouldn't budge.
Right at first light the native guides took off down the trail at a full run and the Commando's had a very hard time keeping up. They couldn't figure out what the big hurry was until they got down to the bottom of the valley.
They all came to a sudden halt when they reached the creek bed located at the base of the mountain.
There was a sign in a tree written in English and Burmese warning of tigers living in the vicinity and not to make camp in that area.
Right next to the creek were Japanese patrol tents and gear. All had been shredded and spread around, along with some human remains, mostly gnawed on bones and heads.
The officer that was relating the story said that he beat the native guides to the top of the next mountain pass even while carrying a heavier load then the smaller natives.

Last Edited:
A VN Vet told me once when on patrol walking down a road they saw a tiger up ahead. He said it was crouched by the side of the road sniffing things then all of a sudden it sprang into the air and leapt across the entire road. He said it was at least a 20-foot leap.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top