JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Slightly off-topic, if I can be forgiven for posting it.

Back in '97 when most of us had to hand our handguns over to the police for destruction or 're-assignment' to the police armouries [like three of my 9mm Glocks] - maybe even getting sent to the national collection like three of mine, a shooting pal went to the temporary office set up at the local county police HQ to hand in his Colt Gold Cup target .45ACP pistol, as required by the new law.

It was his only handgun, and he'd won dozens of medals with it over the years he'd used it in competition, here in UK, over in Europe and even in the USA. It was his baby, and cared for in every way. He'd even made a French-style box for it. For those unfamiliar with the term, it is a gun box made of solid wood that has been cut out precisely to the outline of the contents.

This is important to remember.

Andy worked for a very progressive small-scale precision engineering company in Huntingdon, making very special items for Lola Racing, which was then alive and well and just across the road from Andy's company. His company had some VERY interesting and state-of-the-art metal-working equipment, as you'll see, and later on actually made some of the parts for the British Mars lander project as well as racing cars.

Andy moved to the counter, produced his FAC and little wooden pistol case. He opened it up, so that the police officer [PO] could verify the serial number, and then, in a low voice, said 'I wouldn't try and pick it up if I were you'. The police officer looked at him as though he was crazy, and asked 'Well, I HAVE to check the gun is safe for me to take off you, right?'

'Suit yourself', said Andy, 'but I suggest that you just stick a pencil in the muzzle to lift it out of the box.'

'Tell you what,' replied the PO, 'YOU do it, and I'll start the paperwork as soon as I see it's OK'.

Andy carefully put a handy pencil into the muzzle, and lifted out the first couple of inches of the complete pistol - barrel bushing, barrel, and slide - leaving the rest of the gun where it lay.

'WTF?' sputtered the PO, 'What have you done to it?'

'Well,' replied Andy, holding the 'slices' of his pistol carefully on the pencil' 'I'd heard on the grapevine that the Chief Constable is putting together a 'private museum' of interesting handguns seized [and that's the right word] from their legal owners, and thought, b*gger that for a game of soldiers, no f****r is going to enjoy MY pistol after having taken it off me.

So yesterday, after I'd gone to the club and shot my last-ever box of ammunition, I came to work and used one of my new precision water cutting machines to micro-slice my pistol up into forty-five slices, just like a sliced loaf. I'd like to see you or anybody else try and shoot it now.'

'And before you say anything, when I did that, it was MY property to do with as I wanted. Now it's YOUR property, and you can do sweet f***-all with it, unless you're very handy with the old super-glue.'

With that, he walked out of the door. :D

tac

It depresses the hell out of me to see how we are being shoved in this very same direction. Good for your friend for not allowing his pride and joy to be confiscated and put into another's collection. Well maybe if said collector is into jigsaw puzzles!

Sad, painful and freaking hillarious. Damn, would have killed me to do it, but faced with no other choice, what a great way to go out. Brilliant.

I really hope it doesn't happen within my lifetime here. Dam.

Good for him. It was his pistol and he was the last to use it.

Might as well go kiss your car goodbye. Looks like bad poeple use them in Europe kill others. WTF

That's the way to take the pi$$ out of them, tac. Keep calm and carry on, indeed! Thank you, brother. That made my day. I think I will have a drink tonight and toast Andy and his Colt. I might even have a gold cup (glass, not the pistol) to pour it in. :)

I did enjoy the story and I would most likely do something like it but it would not be pretty or precise when I was done.

To me there is a morel to this story and that is, if we allow registration then this can and will happen to us. How else could this happen except when the government knows you have it giving you one of two choices turn it in or fight and be killed or arrested because there is no hiding it as they know you have it and know where you live.

Many of us have nothing to hide we are honest folks just wanting to be left alone and so was Andy but many even on this forum feel registration would not be bad if it just saved one life or kept bad guys from getting guns but we have seen even in England and Australia with registration and gun bans gun crime still happens and more than we know. So Andy lost his prize gun and the bad guys did not.

You may not like ARs, AKs, or other evil black rifles or semi auto of any kind, you may not like open carry of rifles or handguns but if you are not willing to fight for the RIGHT of others to do it then you have said that it is ok for the government (state or federal) to control guns and I mean all guns including your single shot 410 and by giving them control in the name of safety then what happened to Andy will happen to us!

I do not know if it will not happen in my life time as I am much older than I wish to admit but it could very well happen to my children and not that far down the road. It is already happening in Washington, Oregon, California, New York and Nevada so is the whole US that far away.

If Hillary would have one it might be happening now!

So if nothing else please use this story as a reminder that it could happen here and do you want to lose your rights just to feel safe because laws do not stop crime or murder would be a thing of the past and there would be no crime being committed at all now with all the laws that are on the books.

Sorry for the rant but I see it happening here and we gun owners are letting and even voting to make it happen in the so called name of safety.

Fear has always been the greatest motivator, and most often the results are the opposite of reasonable. The greater the fear, the more unreasonable the response, until you reach panic and utter chaos. Anger acts much the same way, but to a smaller degree as most humans are wired for flight before fight.

I gotta ask.....is ammo restricted as well in UK ? Is powder + shot restricted ?? Do people hoard powder/shot .....
I AM JUST LOOKING AT THE BONES....FREEDOMS ARE DAY TO DAY...PATRIOT ACT...STORY I SCARE MY SON WITH AT BEDTIME.
TIME FOR UK AND USA TO HUG....ANDY CAN RUN BLACKPOWDER 101...YOU GUYS CHOOSE EM...I SEE THE DRAW NOW AND NEED FOR SKILL SET
Thanks Tac

I gotta ask.....is ammo restricted as well in UK ? Is powder + shot restricted ?? Do people hoard powder/shot .....
I AM JUST LOOKING AT THE BONES....FREEDOMS ARE DAY TO DAY...PATRIOT ACT...STORY I SCARE MY SON WITH AT BEDTIME.
TIME FOR UK AND USA TO HUG....ANDY CAN RUN BLACKPOWDER 101...YOU GUYS CHOOSE EM...I SEE THE DRAW NOW AND NEED FOR SKILL SET
Thanks Tac

Powder is limited to a total of 25kg of any kind. Nitro and the BP subs can only be bought by a person with a Firearms Certificate [FAC] anyhow. Black powder is licensed with a five-year [free] license to acquire/possess and transport. We have to have certified-design wooden storage boxes that hold up to six pounds in compartments. Again, only a person with black powder arms on his or her FAC can buy it.

Ammunition amounts are regulated by use. A .22 target rifle shooter in serious competition can buy and hold up to 10,000 - so can a pest control-based FAC holder. Ordinary Joes like me usually have between 500 and 1500 at any one time. Centre fire is different, depending on individual need. Because Swiss GP11 can be sold in bulk - in 480 round boxes, I can, in theory anyhow, have two. But this is UK, folks, and I've never seen such a thing.

I usually self-limit my ammunition holdings because unlike many of you, I don't have endless space in my tiny house, so I rarely load up more than hundred of each of 45-70, 308, 6.5, 7mm, 7.5, but DO load up my maximum of .357Mag in low loads, 500.

IF I was a game shooter, be aware that soft-point/fragmenting ammunition and bullets [for reloading] are even more controlled] and only shooters who have a FAC for the 'good reason' of game shooting can buy and possess them. If they make their own from component reloading they are required by law to enter them on their FAC as acquired ammunition. If I am found in possession of such a round of ammunition, I face a five year stint in jail.

I'm not lying to you.

1. ALL shooters must produce his or her FAC in order to buy primers, powder or propellant and the aforementioned style of bullets.

2. ALL ammunition and propellant sales are face-to-face only.

3. ALL gun sales are face-to-face or via and RFD [your FFL].

There is, of course, a lot more.........

tac

An academic question, as I'm sure you'd have done it if you could have, but did they actually specify that you couldn't sell or donate the guns to outside parties?

Nope.

Just had to hand them in or make time-consuming arrangements with people in other countries to either take your guns off you, or to store them so you could go visit and shoot them. Many people with only one or two handguns did the latter, and still go to France or Belgium or Holland or Switzerland - even Northern Ireland, where the local gubmint told Westminster to go p*** up a rope. Until a year ago the UK pistol team had to train in Switzerland.

Three of my handguns went to the MoD Pattern Room Collection, now the National Collection located at the Royal Armouries in Leeds.

A few others went to the USA.

Apart from seven I kept as de-acts, all the others went into the furnace.

tac

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews