JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you use real BP or one of the modern substitutes in your muzzleloader ?

• Real BP (Goex, Swiss, Skirmish, KIK, etc)

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Modern Substitute (Pyrodex, 777, etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
Since I shoot mostly flintlocks I stick with real BP, with FFFg Goex being my go to powder.

I've tried some of the substitutes in my cap locks but haven't found any real advantage to them and a few negatives (like harder to ignite) so I just keep it simple and stick with GOEX in everything.

I have used pretty much all of it and have various results, most work fine with not much problem in ignition arms, but the substitute seem to be harder to ignite with flings. I make my own Black Powder, and it seems to work great on every thing, so that's what I stick with.

So... I'm into cannons and most of what I run BP in is a coehorn and my 37mm, I run real black occasionally in the coehorn, however most of the time I'm using American Pioneer 3F. I can't recommend at least trying it enough. It's a joy to work with.

I like my powder black like my coffee!
Goex for me.
I can't imagine using a substitute in any of my originals...Yikes! :eek:

I haven't had much luck other then bad when attempting to use the substitute powders.
Failure to fire or hang fires .. Too many to recommend using a substitute.
So , Yes I belong to the church of the Holy Black.
Besides if it was good enough for Daniel Boone , David Crockett , Jim Bridger and Kit Carson ... Its good enough for me. :D
Andy

Last Edited:
Been a LONG time since I played with smoke poles. When I did it was mostly hand guns. At that time there was just Goex and Pyrodex. Black was hard to get as only one store sold it. They could only bring in a certain amount at a time to the store. Meant calling daily to check for it at first. Soon I had a good supply laid in. While starting I tried Pyrodex since several stores could sell it. Sucked in caplock hand guns. It was not so bad in a shotgun I had for a while after I had new nipples made. This was before the inline using primmers. Don't know if they have improved the synthetic stuff since then. I some times miss them. Kind of wish I had kept at least one of the Ruger's I had. Don't miss the mess of the clean up though. :cool:

I shoot replica rifles and pistols. Black just does the job. I am particular about clean up, so there seems so little advantage to the alternatives.
One of my favorites is black 45 colt. BP is the way to go with this one.

At the moment I only use black for cartridges, no muzzleloader. But I use all blackpowder. It is almost as easy to get as substitute, and the same price, so why not? I like Old Eynsford.

I use real BP in flintlocks only. I use the cleaner BP alternatives (Clearshot, APP, and Black MZ) everywhere else. I prefer those BP alternatives slightly over the real thing too. Not a fan of the long black tar and soot clean up that has to happen when it's beer o clock.

I avoid Pyrodex entirely. It's the worst of both worlds. Corrosive AND not original.

You are a bit of a rebel using black powder in a smoke less cartridge ( .30-40 Krag ). :D
Andy

Yes, it's not popular on Krag forums haha. But, since the 30-40 was inspired by the .303 British and that was originally a BP round, well I just had to try it. It works great too. Highly recommend it.

I once owned a Savage 219 rifle in .30-30 ( Should have never gotten rid of it)
I don't remember the loading I used , but I shot black powder rounds from it , from time to time.
Just so you know that you aren't alone...:)
Andy
Edit for pre-coffee spelling.

Last Edited:
I have been using B.P. in brass. 12 gau shot shell for a while now, works just about as good as smokeless, and most importantly, I have it! Picked up 20 rounds of brass and useful wads and waxed wads for seals.:)

I use real BP in flintlocks only. I use the cleaner BP alternatives (Clearshot, APP, and Black MZ) everywhere else. I prefer those BP alternatives slightly over the real thing too. Not a fan of the long black tar and soot clean up that has to happen when it's beer o clock.

I avoid Pyrodex entirely. It's the worst of both worlds. Corrosive AND not original.

If you use natural based lubes real BP is very easy to clean up, mine is beeswax, Crisco, and lanolin. One patch with warm soapy water, one pass with a brush, a few more water, and one with solvent, then a dry patch then oil. Easy.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top