JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
The GunWorks in Springfield OR.
May be your best bet...
You can order it direct...but usually only in 25 pound case lots ...which you can mix and match powder grade...say like 10 3F and 15 2F...
But that gets spendy ...like around $350 or so....
Andy

Mmmm...I'm helping a friend shoot his CVA Hawkin for the first time. Prob 20 years old never fired. Despite making sure the bore and nipple channel were clean and dry, I had trouble getting ignition with RS. Fellow shooter had some flint lock 4f and that work great under the nipple. Im thinking real BP and maybe hot shot nipples might cure it?

Make sure to "bust a few caps" , before you load your rifle...I like to pop 4 of 'em....
I have also had far better luck with real BP....Hot shot Nipples are okay...more of a marketing ploy to my mind...
Andy

Black powder is a great idea. If you want to make the drive to Vancouver I will gladly give you a pound of it.

I suggest though that there is another reason that you are not getting proper ignition with RS.

Here is a photo showing what's inside the breech of a CVA sidelock muzzleloader.

CVA-BREECH-web-01_zpscf1b958c.jpg

Take a look at point D. They call it a communication hole but I have always called it a bolster chamber. It is about a thirty calibre hole. I suggest that fouling is contaminating that chamber.

Even if you clean the barrel and the nipple channel the chamber may be clogged. I suggest that after you clean the barrel as per normal you wrap a patch around a damp 30 calibre brush and twist it into the chamber to clean it.

DON"T reverse direction and unthread the brush! ;)

Ogre
Most kind offer and really educational regarding the CVA. Ive shot several TC hawken/renegades with nary a problem like this. This rifle supposedly was never fired so I assumed it was clear and clean. Bad assumption so Ill clean out that smaller comm hole. Have you shot these and what do you use for powder, nipples and caps?
Thanks a bunch.
Craig

I prefer Olde Eynsford or Swiss powder although I still have lots of GOEX and WANO. RWS caps and TRESO nipples. Not a huge fan of CVA products although many people like them.

I have slowly been distancing myself from percussion firearms. I just received a Larry Horrigan 62 calibre, swamped, 56" long barrel and will try to build a flintlock smooth rifle out of it.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.