JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was having a debate about this with a friend. Not sure the answer

Can a person keep a loaded pistol in say...the cup holder of their car or somewhere else that deems it 'readily accessible' if they have a CHL?

I was under the impression that once you have a CHL you can keep it pretty much anywhere you would like. My friend seems to go back to a topic in our CHL class where the instructor had told us we should put a small safe in our car and have it locked up in that safe while driving. I'm not the best at reading the laws so I thought I could get away with just sasking you guys instead ;)

Can a person keep a loaded pistol in say...the cup holder of their car or somewhere else that deems it 'readily accessible' if they have a CHL?

I was under the impression that once you have a CHL you can keep it pretty much anywhere you would like. My friend seems to go back to a topic in our CHL class where the instructor had told us we should put a small safe in our car and have it locked up in that safe while driving. I'm not the best at reading the laws so I thought I could get away with just sasking you guys instead ;)

ORS 166.250 does not apply to persons with a CHL.

166.260¹
Persons not affected by ORS 166.250

(H) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 (Issuance of concealed handgun license) and 166.292 (Procedure for issuing) to carry a concealed handgun.

ok great thanks. I knew that I knew that... just confirming. That's what I had been doing on long drives where the holsters can get a little uncomfortable plus you never know how fast you might need to get to it

Looks kind of like the one the NRA sells on their site.

8 US Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower,
John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member

With a CHL you are exempt. You could duct tape it to your forehead if you so choose....

Correct me if I'm wrong it sounds like a grey area but I think that if you have a passenger who is in the car who doesn't have a CHL you shouldn't have the gun near where they can access it (i.e. glovebox, passenger side door, etc)

I'll look it up to double-check but I think I remember hearing something along those lines.

Correct me if I'm wrong it sounds like a grey area but I think that if you have a passenger who is in the car who doesn't have a CHL you shouldn't have the gun near where they can access it (i.e. glovebox, passenger side door, etc)

I'll look it up to double-check but I think I remember hearing something along those lines.

I guess one could make that argument but I would imagine that it would be a non-issue for LEO. If they did try to cite/arrest a person for it while the licensed owner of the pistol was in the car, especially if it was the firearm owners car, it would be easily arguable in court. Wa. law is written much better in my opinion for car carry.

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top