JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes I "attacked" big pharma in a blanket statement because I had just had to pay way too much for a synthetic bread mix for my sons low protein diet, and the effed up healthcare system was on my mind at that moment... I wasn't interested in writing a novel to explain my rational, or start a debate about it. But it obviously struck a nerve... and you've been critiquing my posts and making assumptions about my "logic" based on semantics. You are pushing for a battle here, and the way I see it we are on the same side. At this point it seems you are just creating arguments to confirm you win at a debate that doesn't exist.
But I'll try to explain myself one last time, and then I'm done.
I am not anti medication as long as it is correctly prescribed. I have to take a lot of medications myself. I do believe medication should be a last resort, but doctors seem to just throw meds at symptoms instead of taking the time to find a cure. Sometimes thier hands are tied by insurance coverage, and sometimes they can't be bothered to try.
my biggest gripe with pharma is thier role in raising health insurance costs... I take a nausea medication that was at one time over $200 per pill, and through a loophole a canadian manufacturer was able to produce and sell it for pennies. I understand r&d, testing, and all that costs money, but not to the extent that warrants that kind of mark up. High cost of medications means insurance companies(yes equally if not more evil)often won't cover the right medication, so doctors have to prescribe alternatives that only kinda work. Surgeries and other procedures that would have better effect or even fix the ailment are not covered, so we are stuck treating symptoms and the only winner is Pharma because they sell pills to treat the symptoms, and more pills to treat the side effects.....

My logic does not put Firearms manufacturers in the same light without some major bias confirmation at work. The major diference between pharmaceutical and firearm manufacturers... like you said anti depressants( and I'm just using them as an example) as well as many other drugs are a lifetime commitment, giving thier manufacturers a steady stream of revenue..
a knee jerk gun purchase is a one time investment, that may likely just end up in a closet, and eventually forgotten. There are those of us that do get addicted to buying guns... so I guess there is some correlation there.
Pharmaceuticals mess with your health, your brain function, and can greatly influence your personality. Pharmaceutical companies release drugs to the market knowing that a certain percentage of those that use them will have major adverse effects including death.
If only a fraction of a % of a new gun set to hit the market was proven to cause physical changes, alter brain chemistry or kill the user because of a flaw in the design, it would never be allowed to be released... yet there is an acceptable margin of danger or possibility of death for drugs? And then there's the advertisements on every other page of every major publication, and aired on every channel, even during children's programming...only doctors need to know what percription medications are available, and then they prescribe them when appropriate. Prescription drug advertising is targeting a nation of hypochondriacs, sending them to thier doctors wether they really need treated or not.... which not only makes doctors have to question the legitimacy of every patients complaints, and adds to wait times for appointments.. it costs insurance companies more money... which raises insurance costs.
You only see gun advertising in related publications, and on outdoor cable channels.

Buying a gun just in case you have a home invasion is no different than buying a chainsaw in case a tree falls over your driveway. Doesn't mean Stihl lobbies for wind storms. Apples and Oranges.

Yes Pharma does good. It helps a lot of people. And it is a necessary part of our society. But it has a very dark side.
Dave Chepelle did a more than a little tasteless bit about Bill Cosby that comes to mind..
somthing about how he did so much good from the years he entertained people, and cheered them up with his comedy, but occasionally he rapes...
That's all I have to say about that. Sorry if it offends you.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top