JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I fortunately have never been threatened with a gun or anything I deemed at the time to be a crideble physical threat. So I have no actual idea how I would handle a situation like that.

The two worst situations I have been in are:

A person in a large SUV took out their road rage on me and started following me on the highway. I took an exit with a round about, did a full lap and took off towards a fire station about 5 blocks down.

Customer was yelling and screaming their displeasure about something. Started throwing stuff. Told them they needed to leave and a co worker was calling the police. Went out to their car and kept yelling but didn't get in said car. Locked the door to the business and told anyone near by to not unlock it till the person left. Cops showed up, made contact with them and they left.

What do I think I would do in a worse situation? Comply as best I can to avoid harm to myself and those near me and/or GTFO. Sure as bubblegum not going to draw my firearm or reveal that I have one if someone has the jump on me. Take the wallet/keys/phone.

Bears and cougars don't shoot at you.....I may freeze up when shot at. Hope I never find out. Plus you don't have to go to court and jump threw all the hoops when you defend yourself against a 4 legged critter

Unless it's a Wolf
Fortunately getting anyone to testify is a challenge to prosecution. The city dwelling population may love the wolves, but those that live where the wolves roam sure don't. I sure as heck would never report anyone if I was a witness.

When I was 21 in 2004, I was in a shooting against two teens in a camp ground in Lewis County WA. I had befriended an older man who turned out to be a complete and utter psycho, and I missed all of the very clear warning signs. All I knew was that I had a friend whom I thought I could trust, and we both liked guns.

Long story short (lots of details), we confronted two teens who inadvertently shot a .22 towards our campsite. Some shots were fired, and the teens sped off. It was an absolutely terrifying experience, made worse by the fact that it was partially my fault (and everybody involved had their own part to play in this mess).

An army of police officers showed up and I sat in the back of a patrol car for over 2 hours while they did interviews. I spent the time praying and trying not to piss my pants. My supposed friend lied and put his felonies on me, and the police initially charged me with them. And if it hadn't been for some smooth talking on my part that came from crime scene investigation classes and competitions in school, and what I learned as an Explorer Scout, I probably would have been taken to jail for them. Once I said my piece, he called one of the teens, confirmed my story, and admitted he had the wrong person in custody.

My now former friend was arrested, charged, and sentenced to 10 years in prison for two counts of Felony Assault. I never saw him again, although I tried to briefly care for his wife but she was as batbubblegum as he was, and one crazy person was enough for me so I cut her out of my life too. He tried to get a hold of me from prison but I wanted nothing to do with him.

I went through 9 months of court proceedings and got my gross-misdemeanor charges of unlawful display bargained down to unlawful discharge (misdemeanor), with a deferred one year sentence. I was never cuffed, booked, or jailed, and it was removed from my record after a year so I never had to claim it on job applications. I thank the sweet Lord it wasn't worse.

I was immediately terminated the day after this incident from the Explorer Post that I had been with for over 6 years, and once I came out of the Commander's office I sat in my car contemplating suicide for the first time in my life. I was utterly broken. I had wanted nothing more than to be a police officer, ever since I was a child. That was all gone in one stupid night of poor choices. I knew exactly what I was going to do: drive to the I-205 bridge and jump off.

Thankfully I didn't. However, this incident caused enough trauma that it ripped a band aid off of my life and three years later in 2007 I actually did try to commit suicide for a whole host of personal issues. I held a gun to my head for 2 hours, but I just couldn't do it. Also very thankful of that. I did a lot of counseling and therapy after that, and It took me over 10 years to recover mentally and emotionally from the entire ordeal, as well as make peace with other demons in my life involving a lot of childhood trauma.

I just turned 40 this May, and besides some bad teeth and obesity I'm doing pretty good. I've trained and worked as an Armed Security officer in a couple of states and with two different companies, and I've taken a couple of self-defense courses and firearm safety courses here and there over the years to reaffirm to myself that I do indeed want to be a safe and lawful citizen who can responsibly handle a gun. Gaining that confidence back helped a lot in my healing, and today I do everything possible to avoid trouble and study up on the Use Of Force Continuum.

Thanks to what happened in 2004, I don't have many friends, but that's the way I like it. Those few friends whom I do have have EARNED my trust and my friendship by showing me their kindness, mental stability, and responsibility. There's some things I don't like about my life currently, but nothing that isn't fixable by me with the right effort. I've also re-found my faith in the Lord through Jesus Christ at least twice since then, and that has helped immensely. I'm certainly not the same person I was in my 20s, and thank God....my 20s were an absolute mess.

So I can't tell you how I would respond to a violent confrontation NOW. What I CAN tell you, however, is where I've been, what I've been through, and how much it toughened me up and gave me a whole new perspective on life and my awareness of the world around me. Let there be no doubt that when I carry a gun today that I MEAN it, and I know how to use it. And I've overcome too much to have some POS take my life over a wallet, and I WILL fight back.

After all....we are all going to die one day, but it should never be for a lack of fighting back. I think Clint Smith said that.

I don't talk about this often, so thanks for reading.

In the title they call the person who was shot a "suspected armed robber" but then twice in the story they call him a "victim".
The NY authorities literally arrested the senior citizen for defending himself against an armed victim attempting to rob him.

We are living in strange times.

About 6 years ago my wife and I were taking a walk in a rural setting near our home and as we were returning and about to take a left onto our street my wife pointed out the neighbor's aggressive dog wasn't behind the chain link fence as usual; we wondered where it was. Suddenly the crazed behemoth came charging at us from our left (our home street). The dog was huge, raving, slobbering and barking like it was about to tear us to pieces. It stopped only a couple of feet from us as time stood still. We tried backing away slowly to try and calm it down and/or get away and then yelling at it when that didn't work. That didn't work either. It appeared things were not going to end well. I drew my .357 Ruger LCR from it's holster, pointed at the dog demon and pulled the trigger.

Somehow I missed. But the report of the 125 grain Buffalo Bore hollow point round coming out of a 2" barrel got it's attention and it scurried away back to it's home across the street. I just stood there for several seconds trying to process it all and finally calmed down a bit as we walked the rest of the way home.

In retrospect, here are some thoughts and observations:

In the moments leading up to taking the shot, my mind understood that there was going to be no de-escalation; it was going to be the dog or us. Those few seconds felt dreamlike and like being outside my own body. At the same time, I remember having the capacity to process the situation and execute what needed to be done. I never felt the tension or break of the trigger and I did not hear the shot.

I was equally dumbfounded how I could have missed and thankful that I did, relieved it ended without having to deal with any fallout. While firing a 2" barrel .357 is difficult to get on target even on a good day, I do believe my aim could have been better had I expended more effort into practice and range time.

Hope that helps!

About 6 years ago my wife and I were taking a walk in a rural setting near our home and as we were returning and about to take a left onto our street my wife pointed out the neighbor's aggressive dog wasn't behind the chain link fence as usual; we wondered where it was. Suddenly the crazed behemoth came charging at us from our left (our home street). The dog was huge, raving, slobbering and barking like it was about to tear us to pieces. It stopped only a couple of feet from us as time stood still. We tried backing away slowly to try and calm it down and/or get away and then yelling at it when that didn't work. That didn't work either. It appeared things were not going to end well. I drew my .357 Ruger LCR from it's holster, pointed at the dog demon and pulled the trigger.

Somehow I missed. But the report of the 125 grain Buffalo Bore hollow point round coming out of a 2" barrel got it's attention and it scurried away back to it's home across the street. I just stood there for several seconds trying to process it all and finally calmed down a bit as we walked the rest of the way home.

In retrospect, here are some thoughts and observations:

In the moments leading up to taking the shot, my mind understood that there was going to be no de-escalation; it was going to be the dog or us. Those few seconds felt dreamlike and like being outside my own body. At the same time, I remember having the capacity to process the situation and execute what needed to be done. I never felt the tension or break of the trigger and I did not hear the shot.

I was equally dumbfounded how I could have missed and thankful that I did, relieved it ended without having to deal with any fallout. While firing a 2" barrel .357 is difficult to get on target even on a good day, I do believe my aim could have been better had I expended more effort into practice and range time.

Hope that helps!
You sound like a remarkably honest and humble person. Welcome to NWFA and I hope you stick around.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top