JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
...what's the deal with Drams?
You know, when you look at a box of shells and the powder charge is given in drams equivalent.
At one time or another, I'm sure we've all reacted to that with "What the?!" :s0077: :s0092:
Well, I may have an answer for you!
According to The Encyclopedia Britannica.....The avoirdupois dram contains 27.344 grains (1.772 grams) and is equal to one-sixteenth avoirdupois ounce of 437 1/2 grains.
In other words, 1 Dram = 1/16 oz. (27.34375 grains).
SO, that means that a shotshell that lists "2 Drams Equivalent" as its powder charge, should then contain about 54-55 grains of powder.
If it lists the charge at "2 1/2 drams equivalent", then it should be about 68 grains of powder.
So there you go......in case you ever curious.

...what's the deal with Drams?
You know, when you look at a box of shells and the powder charge is given in drams equivalent.
At one time or another, I'm sure we've all reacted to that with "What the?!" :s0077: :s0092:
Well, I may have an answer for you!
According to The Encyclopedia Britannica.....The avoirdupois dram contains 27.344 grains (1.772 grams) and is equal to one-sixteenth avoirdupois ounce of 437 1/2 grains.
In other words, 1 Dram = 1/16 oz. (27.34375 grains).
SO, that means that a shotshell that lists "2 Drams Equivalent" as its powder charge, should then contain about 54-55 grains of powder.
If it lists the charge at "2 1/2 drams equivalent", then it should be about 68 grains of powder.
So there you go......in case you ever curious.
Only thing is you have a black powder unit of measure and a smokeless powder shotshell.
You can't put 54-55 grains of smokeless powder into a shotshell. Well may a 4 gauge shotshell. LOL

I've always looked at "dram equivalent" as an antique way to describe "weight of shot/speed of shot"

I think you will find that "dram equivalent" means that the performance of that current load is equivalent to the performance of a load using that many drams of black powder.

Only thing is you have a black powder unit of measure and a smokeless powder shotshell.
You can't put 54-55 grains of smokeless powder into a shotshell. Well may a 4 gauge shotshell. LOL

I've always looked at "dram equivalent" as an antique way to describe "weight of shot/speed of shot"
Why would you see it that way?
Even in the descriptive, it says nothing about the shot charge.
The Dram Equivalent spec is clearly for powder.
Sounds confusing to me.
I did take a look at some shotgun handloads, and you're right. None were near 54-55 gr. amount. More like 15-20 gr.'s of powder.

LOL! I remember researching this LONG ago as I had the same question at the time!
Damn near so long ago I almost forgot, too.
I think you will find that "dram equivalent" means that the performance of that current load is equivalent to the performance of a load using that many drams of black powder.
I believe so, too. Black powder and references to black powder stayed around for a lot longer than we might think these days.

Why would you see it that way?
Even in the descriptive, it says nothing about the shot charge.
The Dram Equivalent spec is clearly for powder.
Sounds confusing to me.
I did take a look at some shotgun handloads, and you're right. None were near 54-55 gr. amount. More like 15-20 gr.'s of powder.
Maybe I shouldn't have grouped them, but you will see a speed relationship when reading through the "dram equivalent" data.
In shotgunning it's always about speed and weight of shot charge when evaluating a load.
The end result with the given powder charge.

Maybe I shouldn't have grouped them, but you will see a speed relationship when reading through the "dram equivalent" data.
In shotgunning it's always about speed and weight of shot charge when evaluating a load.
The end result with the given powder charge.
Sorry about that Direct Drive.
I should've deleted that post.
I see now that you and Lilhigbee are essentially saying the same thing.
It makes sense now.

Sorry about that Direct Drive.
I should've deleted that post.
I see now that you and Lilhigbee are essentially saying the same thing.
It makes sense now.
As you know, it's a carry-over from the old days when the industry was converting from black powder to smokeless powder. An effort to help people understand the charge value, I suppose.
I don't know why they still print it on the boxes. I don't pay much attention to it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top