JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking for some reloading data for a .308 with a 20" BB. looking specifically for a good powder/primer/bullet combo that someone has come up with an accurate velocity for. since most reloading books test off a 24" barrel, load data for a 20" barrel has been a little hard to come by. also does anyone know of a range that has a chrono to rent?

I hunt with a Savage 10PC with a 20" barrel. Here's my load for deer. Rem case, 47gr Varget, CCI LR primer and a Barnes TTSX. In my gun it's a tack driving load, no chrono data but Barnes says a max load of 48gr. does a little over 2900 from a 24" barrel so I'm probably around 2800. Deer don't know the difference. Varget is one of the faster powders that works great in .308. Your mileage may vary!:)

For my Kimber-converted M96 Swede, 22" barrel, this is what I settled on after a year of playing with it:

48.0g RL-15, Fed 210 primer behind a 150g Ballistic Tip. Chronographed (Oehler 33) at 2933fps.

Don't go there right away. Take the scenic route.

thank you all for the load data, I will be checking out ARPC and trying both RL-15 and varget powders. when I was at nosler in Bend they turned me onto a website JBM this website has a calculater that will tell me my exact bullet trajectory out to 500 yards, since my scope (leupold VX3 6.5-20x50mm) adjusts at 1/4 MOA if I have an exact range with a rangefinder I could be VERY accurate with this weapons system. as soon as I find a chronograph I will post my load data so you guys can try it out!

All well and good, Donovan, but here's something learned the long way, the hard way, and not disputed by anyone having done so:

Ballistic tables are a reference only. There is no book and no computer and no scope and no drop compensator that will tell you what your load will do out of your particular rifle (even if you use the same bullet mentioned in the book, and have chronographed it at that precise velocity).

Your equipment is very good. What will make you "very accurate with this weapons system" is actually launching bullets repeatedly at the range you intend to shoot. Then repeatedly launch some more. Then launch bullets at the range you intend to shoot. When you've finished, go back and launch bullets at the range you intend to shoot.

At first you will be very surprised how hard it is to hit ANYTHING at long range. Eventually, and after you have launched lots of bullets at the range you intend to shoot, you will begin to learn what YOUR gun does.

I assure you it will be significantly different than what a book, table, program or BDC tells you. If it is similar, you (and your gun) are of the chosen very few.

I don't think that's accurate. Once the bullet exits the bore it's pretty much subject to the laws of physics (which is why they aren't called "the suggestions of physics). At that point it's starting velocity, gravity, aerodynamics and atmospherics. All are pretty predictable in their effects. So you need velocity, bullet weight, ballistic coefficient, spin rate, humidity, wind, and temperature.

John

Precisely, John.

You listed exactly what one needs for a reference.

And then you launch bullets at the range you intend to shoot, out of YOUR rifle in YOUR hands, and you find out how the laws of phyisics actually apply toward where your bullet is actually striking.

There is no substitute for shooting, and there is no hard accurate prediction of the result from shooting. At one time I believed there was. It was a long hard route (with many, many rifles) to discover otherwise. I'm trying to save Donovan all that heartache, but I also realize that some people may be just like myself and have to learn it themselves. Can't say there wasn't some fun in the process.

Marketers of "Gadget Scopes", ballistic programs, range finders and the like are making a fortune off people who don't believe they need hard practical hands-on experience to hit targets at long range. "It can all be found in a book, a dial, a keyboard, a button!" Each of these products has a definite purpose and a usefulness; but only in partnership with actual launching of projectiles repeatedly and results compared to the references.

Looking at my previous posts, I realize a practical example might help:

Donovan, Spitpatch, and Onebigelf are issued three identical .308's with Leupold scopes, along with Federal Match Ammo.

Each is allowed to sight in their gun dead-on point of aim at 100 yards.

PRACTICE DAY:

The target is an 8x10 sheet of typing paper at 650 yards (definite,measured).

Spitpatch elects to shoot his gun and see where the bullets go.

Onebigelf rests his success confidently on a computer program (since he knows each item on the list necessary for a reference, and has the laws of physics firmly on his side). He wastes no ammo needlessly this day.

Donovan consults the computer program, uses it for reference and shoots his gun to see if it agrees with what actually happens. He is surprised to find that the suggestions from the computer result in misses. Wisely, he keeps this information to himself, makes the necessary adjustments based on actual results.

COMPETITION DAY:

Each is issued one cartridge. Identical target at the 650 range.

My money's on Donovan and Spitpatch, with the speculation that Donovan got to a successful practice shot on the previous day only slightly ahead of Spitpatch.

i have a 22 inch barrel on a custom mauser. the load that works for my setup is: 42g Reloader, 168g hornady amax bullet. ive shot 5 shot groups 3/8 inch.but once again thats what works for me.this website really helped in finding some loads, .308 Winchester Cartridge Guide, but you are going to have to find what your rifle likes, bullet weight, type of powder etc...it gives a good starting point.

A couple of hints:
* read about Optimum Barrel Times, Optimal Barrel Time Paper
* Budget some $$ for Quickload s/w
* Get your own chrony, the affordable ones run for just over $100.

I've found 308Win is not too finicky. My 24" 308Win is guaranteed to shoot MOA. I've shot MOA with likes of 155gr scenars, 168 and 180 gr Partitions. I've loaded Varget and RL15. Also got IMR4895 and will try it some day. Varget is very temp insensitive but i'v found RL15 a bit more accurate. I invested on Lapua brass and use only CCI BR2. I've shot .75 MOA at 100yd and MOA at 200/300. Lost interest in long distance shooting before I got to 600yd. Some day...

Reputed LRS Zak Smith swears by 155gr scenars. His thinking is wind drift will affect less a light/ fast / slick bullet. I'd try Varget or faster powders (i.e. RL15 and IMR4895 are slightly faster) on a 20" bbl. If you can afford it, VV N140 make very accurate loads, but be warned it is been said it is very temp sensitive.

That's it. Can't share much more. I stopped shooting/loading 308Win about a year ago and have not gone back. Some day...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top