JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Oops.

Old west re-enactor sent to prison

"The Old West re-enactor who fired four bullets into a crowd of tourists in downtown Hill City in June 2011 was sentenced Monday to 7-1/2 years in federal prison.

Paul F. Doering had earlier signed a plea agreement where he admitted that he concealed evidence after a June 17 Old West re-enactment of a gun fight on a Hill City side street in which three out-of-state visitors were injured, two seriously.

Federal marshals placed handcuffs on Doering immediately after U.S. District Judge Jeffrey Viken sentenced the 49-year-old Summerset man.

A six-time convicted felon, Doering was arrested last summer after authorities learned that one of two guns he fired during a Dakota Wild Bunch Reinactors’ performance held live ammunition.

“None of this would have happened if the defendant would have complied with the law,” said assistant U.S. Attorney Eric Kelderman. “This whole incident would have been avoided.”

“It’s an absolute miracle that someone wasn’t killed,” Viken said Monday. “It’s important that we don’t lose sight of what happened and the impact.”

Viken read a portion of a letter from Carol Knutson, a Minnesota grandmother, who was shot in the leg.

In the letter, Knutson said that not only were she and her husband traumatized by the incident, but so was their 13-year-old grandson. A bullet grazed his pant leg before hitting his grandmother.

According to Knutson, Doering proclaimed to everyone within earshot that he was not the shooter.

Immediately after the shootings, Doering fled to his car where he threw away four spent cartridges and buried the remaining live rounds. He asked his girlfriend to take his two guns and leave, but she stayed at the scene.

In two separate interviews in the first two days of the investigation, Doering denied knowing anything about live ammunition.

One week later, Doering admitted to investigators that the four bullets came from a .45-caliber Ruger he used during the shoot-out.

“I panicked,” Doering said when Viken questioned him about his actions on June 17.

The judge questioned Doering extensively during the sentencing hearing to help him understand what happened that day in Hill City.

“I’m at a loss to understand how someone with your background, at 49, could get caught in this situation,” Viken said.

Viken also listened intently as several friends of Doering spoke on his behalf. They described him as a hardworking, trusted friend, a non-drinker and someone who enjoys doing charity work.

An emotional and apologetic Doering told Viken that members of the re-enactors group routinely checked each other’s guns before a performance to make sure they contained blanks.

Doering’s only excuse was that he was fatigued from trucking and in a hurry.

“I’ve gone over this a million and a-half times,” he said. “Trying to figure out how I let this happen.”

Doering’s felony convictions made it illegal for him to own or possess a firearm or ammunition. He was charged with a federal violation of the law but was allowed to plead guilty to a lesser charge of tampering with evidence.

Doering’s attorney, Neil Fulton, explained that the plea agreement was reached because of issues about Doering’s right to own a weapon.

Doering’s criminal history reaches back more than 30 years in Minnesota. At one point, some of his civil liberties were restored, but it could not be verified exactly what rights were restored, Fulton said.

Doering’s last felony conviction was in July of 2001. He was within six weeks of having his civil liberties restored by Minnesota when the shooting occurred, Fulton said.

According to the Minnesota Department of Corrections, Doering served time in prison for two first-degree assault convictions in the early 1980s and second-degree burglary in 1990. He was also charged with escape.

Doering was back in custody in 2000 and 2001 after he was convicted of fleeing from law enforcement

Viken stressed that while Doering was allowed to plead to a victimless crime, people were damaged.

“I’m not saying you’re a bad human being. I think you’ve accomplished much,” Viken told Doering. “It’s important that we don’t lose sight of what happened and the impact.”

Doering will also be responsible for restitution. An attorney for Pennsylvania optometrist John Ellis presented a request for more than $89,000 in restitution Monday. Knutson’s letter indicated that she had spent more than $5,000 out-of-pocket. Jose Pruneda of Nebraska has requested more than $2,700.

A sentencing hearing could be scheduled to settle the matter of restitution for Doering who is represented by a public defender."

Four shots - three wounded - a heckuva lot better than the average LEO can muster!

Seriously, though, this guy has too many convictions to be given yet another "second chance." There's no way on God's green earth that I'd stand for a six-time felon pointing a weapon at me and my family, blanks or not.

Some people believe that the right to bear arms belongs to everyone.

Some people believe that if they've paid their debt, they are entitled to their rights, and if they haven't paid their debt, they should be in prison.

I remain ambivalent. What I am certain of is that felons will have guns. I understand the case for redemption, and I understand the case against the leopard's spots. This is not an easy question. Simplistically, idealistically, it would come out as all rights, all people, all the time. In reality, it's not that simple.

Take away the convictions, and this is a tragic mistake with permanent consequences.

Four shots - three wounded - a heckuva lot better than the average LEO can muster!

Seriously, though, this guy has too many convictions to be given yet another "second chance." There's no way on God's green earth that I'd stand for a six-time felon pointing a weapon at me and my family, blanks or not.

Why would you,as a fellow actor,allow this guy to even participate?
I mean the guy was obviously a loser.I sure wouldn't be around the guy with a gun or let him point a gun at me.

I remember reading about this when he was arrested. I still have to wonder who would set up a reenactment where the audience is in the line of fire, even with blanks.

I just watched a horse back cowboy shoot,where the rider was shooting at balloons and you could see the spectators in line with the shot.
Didn't quite understand that one either

I just watched a horse back cowboy shoot,where the rider was shooting at balloons and you could see the spectators in line with the shot.
Didn't quite understand that one either

It seems to be that there are actually very few who even know about the 4 Rules, let alone abide by them. Knowing it's "empty," or, in this case, has blanks in it, seems to be about all the thought that goes into it. Hence, we still read about junk like htis all the time.

I did not read all of the article but I suspect this was an SASS event? If so I would think their safety standards would be higher let alone a multiple felon with a firearm.

The times I've shot SASS it was live ammo, not blanks. I seem to remember this was a tourist show of some type.

That man should not be allowed to have children and spread his defective genetics. I would bet that the average special Olympics attendee would know better than firing a loaded gun into a crowd (actually I know they would know better being that I volunteer to work at special Olympics events)

People are convicts for a reason and it's not generally there hi IQs.

People are convicts for a reason and it's not generally there hi IQs.

their

high

just how many felonies are you sporting DT?

2i0ll5.jpg

this was definately not a SASS event.At our live ammo shoots,the crowd is ALWAYS behind us. Now,at mounted events,the ammo is strictly controlled,and I do mean strictly,but I too think it's a bit unnerving to be watching one head-on.
whoever was running the event that this guy was at was sorely lacking in safety training methods to allow a loaded gun to be holstered and used.Id almost be willing to bet that he had live ammo in his gunbelt for looks,and in a brain-fart moment loaded from his belt.Just conjecture on my part there.

I'm really glad that no one was killed.quite a miracle actually.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top