JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My poor Remington 700 SPS Tac has been through a few different sets of furniture.

It started its life in its factory Hogue (garbage) stock with an X-Mark Pro (garbage) trigger.
rem 700 oem.jpg

It's next stage of life it received a Timney 510 Straight Shoe with an MDT Tac21 chassis system with and SWFA SS 10x w/ Burris XTR rings.
IMG_20150407_170545.jpg

As of this weekend it now finds itself with its Timney still remaining and the addition of a Rainier Arms (Mega) Orias Chassis with a new Magpul PRS and Vortex PST 6-24x50 scope w/Talley 20moa base. Big fan of this setup.

Orias.jpg

Hope to add a Bartlien barrel and blue printed action sometime in the next year or so.

Nice. They are pretty inexpensive guns that usually shoot pretty well. How many rounds do you have through it?
Dont keep track that well of round count on any of my guns. Probably 400ish through this one. Yea, for being a stock barrel/action and not having any reloads with me that day I shot a .463" group last weekend without too much effort and off the shelf reman 168gr rounds.

If it is shooting that well, why are you thinking about rebarrelling? You have plenty of barrel life left. Use that money on ammo until you get closer to shooting the barrel out. My 700 in 308 is at 1975 rounds and still going strong.

If it is shooting that well, why are you thinking about rebarrelling? You have plenty of barrel life left. Use that money on ammo until you get closer to shooting the barrel out. My 700 in 308 is at 1975 rounds and still going strong.

Im not barreling right now but probably in 2 years. I take it to the range twice a week about so the round count will get up there, the main purpose is I want a heavier profile and I want a 24 or 26" for certain hand loads. I can only go out to 300 yards at my local range but plan to do some stuff much further out here pretty soon. 20" has noticeable drop over a 26 at 300 yards but it isnt too much. Stretching further gets exponentially worse of course.

Ok, to each his own. I am shooting my 20" barrel 400/600 to 1000 pretty regularly...... The drop stays the same as long as you know what it is. All I am saying is that the cost of rebarreling pays for a lot of ammo either way. Yes, your drop with a 26" barrel will be a little less than mine with a 20" but I bet I will still have a lot more rounds down range. ;) What ever makes you happy is great with me though.. :)

If you're going to rebarrel it I would seriously consider a caliber change. If your goal is to reach out farther something like 6.5 creedmoor will give you great barrel life with a significantly better round as far as ballistics go.

If you're going to rebarrel it I would seriously consider a caliber change. If your goal is to reach out farther something like 6.5 creedmoor will give you great barrel life with a significantly better round as far as ballistics go.

Yea I have looked at that 6.5 Creedmore. I think i would rather do 6.5x47 Lapua if I were to rebarrel. I have so much .308 stuff around Im not sure I want to change over...but maybe.

I dropped one bullet but got a decent target out of it last week. 100 yards, 32 degrees, high humidity, no wind. Load was PMC cases, 44.5 grains Varget, cheapy jacketed boat tail 150gr Hornadys

rem target.jpg

Yea I have looked at that 6.5 Creedmore. I think i would rather do 6.5x47 Lapua if I were to rebarrel. I have so much .308 stuff around Im not sure I want to change over...but maybe.

Any reason you would go with the 47? Ballistics wise the 6.5x47, 6.5 creed, and 260 are all quite similar. I ended up going creedmoor as the first gun I built in it was a gas gun and one of the criteria in the creedmoors design was reliable function in a semi-auto platform. I'm glad I did go with the creedmoor though as it has really blown up making ammo and components far more available. If its lapua brass they're releasing 6.5 creedmoor in Q1 of 2017 according to their website.

Anyways, I will always have a .308 in the stable but a 6.5 will give you significantly better performance if you really want to do some long range shooting. Another option to consider is the possibility of keeping this gun chambered in .308 as its already treating you well and rather then rebarreling it in .308 again Put the money you would have spent into a second longer range rifle in another caliber. In the end between blueprinting, New barrel, Getting the barrel fitted etc you're probably looking at close to the price of one of the new factory chassis built rifles like a ruger precision for instance.

Any reason you would go with the 47? Ballistics wise the 6.5x47, 6.5 creed, and 260 are all quite similar. I ended up going creedmoor as the first gun I built in it was a gas gun and one of the criteria in the creedmoors design was reliable function in a semi-auto platform. I'm glad I did go with the creedmoor though as it has really blown up making ammo and components far more available. If its lapua brass they're releasing 6.5 creedmoor in Q1 of 2017 according to their website.

Novelty I guess, but yea Lapua makes the brass for 6.5 i hear now so that's a good thing. This thing is shooting pretty well now so Ill probably just keep is as is. Might just stay a 308 forever since I have so much brass around for it. Picked up a ski boat recently and as the saying goes theyre like a hole in the water to pour money into so new barrels are on the back burner for a while haha. Im really pretty surprised how well this thing will do for a factory action/barrel combo. Technique goes a long way I suppose.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top