JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
True! Do not get me wrong, I love the cartridge, I just wish companies would make faster twist to keep up with modern advances of bullet constructions with high BCs, that is my only gripe. Shooting 150 gr 270W projectiles in a 1-10" twist works great, sure, but why suffer at the lack that it cannot stabilise 170 gr pills with plus .6xx BCs?
Try all of the heavy bullet brands. Chances are there is one that will still be happy. I have a .220 Swift 1:14. That's revolver twist! Still, I do not want to shoot the 80-90 grain .224 pills. The light speedsters are it's forte. I do not want to force it to do something it is not happy doing. Being a dreamer (not always a good thing), I would love to have an AR-10 in .220 Swift. The semi-rim aside, it might be the only one on the planet. Fine with me.

One thing to bear in mind is that we are living in a confusing age. .223 is thought of as a baseline caliber? In my day that was insane and it was a hated and maligned catridge through its early history. Our "on-demand" culture wants a new caliber on a regular basis. I'll be honest: to me it is more a sign of immaturity - of which there is no shortage. The caliber of the week may be the hot thing, but when all the "aging starlet" calibers are fading, the .270 will be left standing.

Have a 25-06? 3800fps out of 75 grain V-Maxes is awfully potent varmint-predator stuff.

Last Edited:
Try all of the heavy bullet brands. Chances are there is one that will still be happy. I have a .220 Swift 1:14. That's revolver twist! Still, I do not want to shoot the 80-90 grain .224 pills. The light speedsters are it's forte. I do not want to force it to do something it is not happy doing. Being a dreamer (not always a good thing), I would love to have an AR-10 in .220 Swift. The semi-rim aside, it might be the only one on the plant. fine with me.

One thing to bear in mind is that we are living in a confusing age. .223 is thoiught of as a baseline caliber? In my day that was insane and it was a hated and maligned catridge through its early history. Our "on-demand" culture wants a new caliber on a regular basis. I'll be honest: to me it is more a sign of immaturity - of which there is no shortage. The caliber of the week may be the hot thing, but when all the "aging starlet" calibers are fading, the .270 will be left standing.

Have a 25-06? 3800fps out of 75 grain V-Maxes is awfully potent varmint-predator stuff.
On the contrary, I am not all-about the speed from light bullets. My favourite round is the 6.5 Swede, which has just the right twist, likely since its inception. I equally love the 270W because it does not fail me, but come on, give it a faster twist! I used to want a 223/ 5.56 bolt rifle but companies made them in 1:12 and then 1:9 twist; why? When most ARs come in 1:7 twist. Rifle companies put out "long range" rifles but nothing changed when 308W and 300 WM still have 1:10 or 1:12 twist, which do not stablise those high BC 200 gr pills. I do not follow fads, just the science.

On the contrary, I am not all-about the speed from light bullets. My favourite round is the 6.5 Swede, which has just the right twist, likely since its inception. I equally love the 270W because it does not fail me, but come on, give it a faster twist! I used to want a 223/ 5.56 bolt rifle but companies made them in 1:12 and then 1:9 twist; why? When most ARs come in 1:7 twist. Rifle companies put out "long range" rifles but nothing changed when 308W and 300 WM still have 1:10 or 1:12 twist, which do not stablise those high BC 200 gr pills. I do not follow fads, just the science.
Probably explains why you have tried and true cartridges, and no Creedmores....

The bore size of .277 to .284 is only .007 inches difference. The grooves on a .270 are the same diameter as the lands on a .280. Wouldn't have to remove much.
Amazing how the difference between the two calibres accounts for an even larger difference in bullet selections. The shame, I tell ya!

If the rifles do not have sentimental value, you can sell them and finance the gun of your dreams. If they do, well, no sense in altering them. If it was called .277 Creedmore or 6.8 SealTeam6 instead of .270 Winchester, it would be hot poop. Still, the .270 will do anything and everything it ever could. Even more, with advances in propellants and bullet design.
Where can I get dies for 6.8 SealTeam6

What are your plans for the rifle? Will it be used for hunting elk and deer at extended ranges or paper punching long range? The .270 win is already pretty darn capable with some of the 140-150gr offerings.

What are your plans for the rifle? Will it be used for hunting elk and deer at extended ranges or paper punching long range? The .270 win is already pretty darn capable with some of the 140-150gr offerings.
All of the above! But why be limited to fewer bullet choices? If I want to load long and heavy for calibre, I want to do so without worry that my gun cannot stabalise it. The 1:10" is outdated, not the cartridge.

If the rifle is in good shape and shoots good I would be hesitant to do anything with it other than use it. I think nosler makes a 150gr accubond long range for the 270 that should perform great in that 1-10 twist. I have had fantastic results with a 129gr ablr in my 6.5 creedmoor.

If the rifle is in good shape and shoots good I would be hesitant to do anything with it other than use it. I think nosler makes a 150gr accubond long range for the 270 that should perform great in that 1-10 twist. I have had fantastic results with a 129gr ablr in my 6.5 creedmoor.
Yeah, i have decided that leaving it alone and hope to burn out the barrel first is the way to go but that is unlikely in my lifetime. I will not buy another rifle with a slow twist (of today's time).

Call Jess about reboring to 280. Shouldn't be hard to use your 270 brass and fireform it to 280 using a long bullet. All sorts of Jess info on internet and how to fireform and salvage brass. I think Jess is in your part of the world.

Call Jess about reboring to 280. Shouldn't be hard to use your 270 brass and fireform it to 280 using a long bullet. All sorts of Jess info on internet and how to fireform and salvage brass. I think Jess is in your part of the world.
Pray tell, where would I find this person, Jess?

Edit: I net searched "Jess gunsmith," surely you meant J E S of WWW.35caliber.com?

I am sure the fantastic result your are getting is because historically, rifles chambered in a 6.5/ 0.264 calibre have all come in fast twist rates. My CZ 550 in 6.5 Swede is a 1: 8" which can probably stabalise most of the heaviest 0.264 bullets. Your rifle is likely the same twist, too.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top