JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all!

I love the 270 Win cartridge but dislike my 1-10" twist. I want to load long, high BC bullets for the 270W but as many of you know, the .277 is pretty limited in offerings. I have a lot of leftover brass of 270W and wondered if it could be used to form 7x64 Brenneke or 280 Remington or A.I. ammo; yes, I know it is necking up but it is not as if I am going to a .30 cal. I am thinking of the .284 calibre for its long selection and long, high BC offerings, plus I could get a faster twist with a re-bore in an extisting .277 bore. I have read some opinions on the 7x64 and 280 Rem/ A.I. and they read well in the ballistics and recoil and barrel life areas. I do not want anymore magnums, I still have my 300 Win and Weatherby offerings (eventually, those will go). I imagine re-boring would be the economical option over replacing a barrel for a faster twist in the same cartridge, yes? The idea is to be smarter about my cartridge selections and usages, as I want to keep a fewer range of ammo; I am a hunter first over long-range shooting/ hunting, and prefer optimum performance with wide bullet selections permissible by faster twist, thus, being able to use said rifle in long range shooting for fun.

Has anyone changed their 270W to a .284 chambering? Or, necked up their spent 270W brass? Thoughts and opinions?

Thanks!

I'm not the expert, but I don't think you would have enough metal left to get a decent land if you changed the twist. I would think it could be doable using the same twist though. Is re-barreling out of the question?

I'm not the expert, but I don't think you would have enough metal left to get a decent land if you changed the twist. I would think it could be doable using the same twist though. Is re-barreling out of the question?
I do not want to re-barrel due to cost, plus the current barrels have such little use that I feel like I would be throwing away money. If I did re-barrel, one would stay a 270W and the other to a 6.5 Swede as I have brass and re-loading components already for both.

Presuming it's a factory barrel, probably cheaper and easier to put on an aftermarket barrel.
What action is it? Remington, Savage, CZ ?
edit: Just saw your comment on cost. What action?
My remaining 270W rifles are both SAKO's - A7 Roughtech and a 85 Hunter.

Basically, you cannot do what you want to do the way you want to do it for the price you want to do it at. Sakos are very nice rifles and well worth rebarreling. Start saving? Back in the 70s, I remember the E.R. Shaw company used to advertise barrels and re-barreling in the Shotgun News. I see they are still going strong and have expanded into turn-key rifles, bolt and semis.
Give me an ERS-10 in .308. Starting at $1200, it is rather enticing.

Basically, you cannot do what you want to do the way you want to do it for the price you want to do it at. Sakos are very nice rifles and well worth rebarreling. Start saving? Back in the 70s, I remember the E.R. Shaw company used to advertise barrels and re-barreling in the Shotgun News. I see they are still going strong and have expanded into turn-key rifles, bolt and semis.
Give me an ERS-10 in .308. Starting at $1200, it is rather enticing.
Your first sentence saddens me, if it is vastly true. Never had a custom rifle job before, so I really have little idea what it cost.

For the average hunting rifle, I believe it's usually more cost-efficient to just sell the one you have and buy another in the caliber you want, than to rebarrel or rebore. That is, unless you have the tools to do it yourself.

I found a great deal on a nice hunting rifle a few years ago, on the used rack at a gun shop with a bulged barrel. I thought I'd rebarrel it and have an inexpensive rifle. I ended up just selling it again as-is to a buddy, to use for a custom rifle he was having built.

If you're attached to the rifle, want a nice custom project and don't mind spending the money, then it's probably worth it to find a good gunsmith and have it done, but it's not cheap.

If the rifles do not have sentimental value, you can sell them and finance the gun of your dreams. If they do, well, no sense in altering them. If it was called .277 Creedmore or 6.8 SealTeam6 instead of .270 Winchester, it would be hot poop. Still, the .270 will do anything and everything it ever could. Even more, with advances in propellants and bullet design.

Okay, some ideas are making me rethink my want. So, let us chat about 270W brass, what can I convert them to? Are they suitable to a 7x64/ 280 Rem/ A.I.?

If I do a complete barrel change, then I need to know which cartridge i benefit most from.

The shoulder of the .280 Rem is further forward than the .270 Win, so it's really not practical at all to reform 270 brass into .280. It looks like the 7x74 S&H is even longer. Again, really more practical to sell your brass and buy new. Sorry.

If the rifles do not have sentimental value, you can sell them and finance the gun of your dreams. If they do, well, no sense in altering them. If it was called .277 Creedmore or 6.8 SealTeam6 instead of .270 Winchester, it would be hot poop. Still, the .270 will do anything and everything it ever could. Even more, with advances in propellants and bullet design.
True! Do not get me wrong, I love the cartridge, I just wish companies would make faster twist to keep up with modern advances of bullet constructions with high BCs, that is my only gripe. Shooting 150 gr 270W projectiles in a 1-10" twist works great, sure, but why suffer at the lack that it cannot stabilise 170 gr pills with plus .6xx BCs?

The shoulder of the .280 Rem is further forward than the .270 Win, so it's really not practical at all to reform 270 brass into .280. It looks like the 7x74 S&H is even longer. Again, really more practical to sell your brass and buy new. Sorry.
I have had my SAKOs a while and bought them at a great price then, I cannot fathom paying what they are going for now. I am particular about the action types; I prefer controlled feeding with the exception SAKOs. I either will have to change the barrels on them or leave it alone.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top