JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been reloading 9mm, among others for a while now with no issues. I started with speer bullets, went on to 1000 Montana Gold in 124g HPs. I am now trying Berry's 124 hps. The Berry's are .020 shorter than the MG, but the straight portion of the berry's bullet is considerably longer then the MG bullet, .050-.070?. This is causing a problem in Wifey's Kimber Pro Aegis II 9mm, the bullet is hitting into the riflings and not alowing the slide to close fully. Even the Montana Gold bullets are stopping jusst slightly before, but the slide will close, and the gun fires normaly, I DO understand this is still not good and will NOT use the MG reloads in the Kimber either. These reloads do fine in my SR9c.

I put an MG reload back into the press to see how far in I needed to seat the bullet to get that nice "THUNK" sound when dropping the ammo into the Kimber barrel. It was about .025-.030, "THUNK", the bullet was not hitting the riflings.

My concern is pressure, seating the (MG) bullet .025 deeper than recomended in the book may not be an issue. Seating the Berry's bullet an extra .050-.070 MAY be an issue? I believe I will end up selling the other 450 Berry's anyway and getting another K of Montana Gold.

I'm currently using Titegroup at 4grns, but I'm wanting to switch to W231, which I think is also 4grns, and meters better for me.

Talk pressure to me GURUS, please.

Mike

The Speer book calls for 1.120 on 124gr, so that's what I've been doing on the MG 124hp with no issue in my SR9c. BUT, those same rounds in Wifey's new kimber 9mm are barely in the riflings. When I seat them to 1.090 they do NOT hit the riflings. I'm not so worried about pressure with the MG being seated .030 deeper, it's the .075 to .100 deeper that I would need to seat the berry's bullet that concerns me.

Again, the striaght part of the Berry's bullet are cosiderably taller than the Montana gold, so the side of the Berry's is into the barrel farther if I'm seating to what the book tells me too.

Sorry if i'm not getting this to the screen the way I need, to make it understandable. If I would take the time to learn the picture thing I'm sure that would help, as it's pretty obvious when looking at the two rounds side by side.

Ok, I need to seat the Berry's to an OAL of 1.010 to keep the bullet from hitting the riflings. That is over .1" deeper in the shell than shown in the Speer14 book. AND, the round seated to 1.100 drops in the barrel of my SR9c with a perfect "Thunk". That kimber barrel is a different animal than the Ruger and the XDm I figure.

Hmmmph!

Mike

Wondering: does Berry's offer any customer support? You cannot be the only one with this question.

I was going to try that too, I really think though that this board has some mighty good heads, that is why I wanted to try here first.

Mike

What's wrong with using the MG's in the Kimber? There are probably millions of them shot through Kimber's every year with no issues.

I load MG's exclusively and find them to be as good as any jacketed bullet I've ever bought. Not necessarily a good SD bullet, as there are others far better, but definitely nothing WRONG with them. I go through a couple of cases of them each year in a Sig and a "fussy" CZ. I found I just have to load for the OAL that the CZ likes with it's shorter leade. 1.125" works great for both using max load of Power Pistol.

I've been fine with Montana Gold, good price and good service, I just decided to try something different.

It seems the riflings in the Kimber (mighty accurate gun by the way) start well closer to the chamber than in either the SR9c or the Sig P239, though the Berry's seated to 1.100 OAL bind in the Sig also. The Kimber handles factory 115gr RN just fine. I'm needing to rduce the OAL over .100 using Berry's, my concern would be excesive pressure. I only need to reduce OAL with the MG .030. I don't want to mess with making special rounds for Wifey's gun either, PIA.

And, this may, just be a case of having to deal with a PIA!

Thanks.

Mike

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews