JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have installed an RDS on my S&W TRR8. After a few hundred rounds, it loosens to the point where it forms a small amount of forward/backward play on the rail. And, yes, I have used Blue Loctite on the clamp screw. Looks like all that does is delay the loosening.
Does anyone have a more permanent fix for this? One that still allows me to remove my RDS when I want to?

Yes, it's called Red LocTite. There may be another fix but I'm not going to make another suggestion w/o having the Firearm in my hands. And, since I'm no longer in that business, I simply suggest you find a Gunsmith in your area and pay him/her for their time and knowledge.

What are you using to tighten it down?
Find the specs for the mount and use a torque driver to tighten it.
I used to tighten by hand and had similar issues with my dots. I found that they need to be much tighter than I expected and a torque driver allowed me to get them properly tight without over tightening. It fixed the issue without drastic use of Loctite (or any Loctite really).

Leupold recommends 65 in/lb on the cross bolts for their mounts. Other manufacturers are 30-45 in/lbs. That's a lot tighter than I was comfortable doing it by hand.

I use this one:

Sounds like the bolt, and/or the picitinny space is out of spec. How much forward/aft slop is there? A trick I've used, is to fill that space with a single wrap of shim material. No idea if it will work, but try cutting a strip from an aluminum can, to wrap the bolt. Odds are it will be too thick. If it is, try cutting the shim to fit the rear of the picitinny slot only.

I have installed an RDS on my S&W TRR8. After a few hundred rounds, it loosens to the point where it forms a small amount of forward/backward play on the rail. And, yes, I have used Blue Loctite on the clamp screw. Looks like all that does is delay the loosening.
Does anyone have a more permanent fix for this? One that still allows me to remove my RDS when I want to?

Did you de-grease prior to using the Loctite? Blue should be fine, check the thread see if they're stripped out.

tig welder
I was gonna go right to ARC and really glob it on there! :s0140::s0140::s0140:

Possible the Rail is not Mil Spec, or the mount/bolt is wrong! Bolt stretch could also cause this, and blue loc-tite should prevent things from loosening up!

Check your rail against the specs and see if that helps!

1583449688038.png
And this is for Weaver styles!

1583449751352.png

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads