JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dave-
I started out with a Lyman C-Press in the late 1960's and still have it set up on my bench. I upgraded to a RCBS Rock-Chucker in the early 90's and use it for almost all of my loading. Lyman makes a good product. RCBS makes a great product. Kind of like the Ford-Lincoln thing. I don't think you can go wrong with either setup but I recommend you start with the RCBS if you have the choice. Customer service is excellent with both companies.

If you want to spend more time shooting than loading, I suggest you give Dillon a long, hard look. As you learn, you can load slowly. As you gain experience, you can load several hundred rounds an hour of QUALITY ammo. Some people will tell you it is easier to start with a single stage press. I do not agree. If you pay attention and follow the directions and the recipes to the letter, a progressive like Dillon will give you much more enjoyment for not much more $$$ than a single stage press.

Yes, I have been drinking the blue Kool-Aid, but 20 years of using a Dillon without any major issues has me sold on them.

That is all.

What do you plan on reloading? Pistols only, rifle? What's it for? Plinking, benchrest, to save money?

Here's a big mythbuster for reloading, you WILL NOT SAVE MONEY. You will simply shoot MORE.

If what you want is to shoot more, and spend less time at the reloading bench start with a progressive. I've started a lot of my friends and family on reloading on a progressive and if my younger brother and cousin can reload on a Dillon progressive ANYONE can reload on a Dillon progressive. lol

Seriously, it's not that hard. If you fight with remaining focus, not mechanically inclined reloading as a whole probably isn't for you. Doesn't matter what you reload on.

Dillon 550 is my staple response. 1050 if you KNOW this is a lifelong affair.

At this point, I'm looking to reload .223, .308 and maybe .45acp. Why? Good question. I keep reading that I won't save any money. Short answer is that I like anything involving tools and precision instruments that I can tinker with in the garage. My father-in-law has recently given me a number of rifles and pistols and I've been going to the range at least once a week burning through ammo. I'd like to trade a few of the rifles (ak-47, sks, etc..) for a quality target rifle that test my shooting abilities.

The best way to save your money reloading is to save your brass. If you were to buy all the components needed to load a round (brass, bullet, primer, powder) then it is almost a wash when comparing it to buying loaded ammo, but if you can save your brass and re-use it then depending on the caliber you can save up to half the cost of buying loaded ammunition.

There's no "clear" winner when it comes to reloading, but for progressive presses Dillon has been doing it for a long time. It sounds like everyone thus far is all "blue!" I think everyone probably has their own preference on what their favorites are.

RCBS is what I use, it's nice and sturdy. I've only been doing single stage, but I've got the itch for progressive. I've been looking very hard at the Hornady Lock-n-Load AP, and haven't found much to discourage me. You also get 1000 bullets for reloading if you buy the press and 100 bullets with each die set you purchase. Heck, if I don't like it after I reload all those free bullets, I can upgrade to a green or blue one. :)

To each their own. If you haven't looked at the Hornady, I'd suggest you take a look at their new model.

Buy once.....Cry once. If you "start out" with a single stage then "upgrade" later, you will have spent alot of money that would have gone to better use buying the press you really wanted in the first place.
I hope that made sense. :s0155:

If you're looking for a turret or single stage press (since Lyman doesn't make a progressive) I would go with RCBS.

If you aren't set on a single stage....go progressive or Turret. It looks like we're doing a good job advocating for a progressive. :)

If you start with a single stage and get a progressive later you will NOT have wasted any money. There's numerous people who use a single stage and a progressive. As a matter of fact I wouldn't own a progressive without a single stage. Many uses for a single stage, you'd be surprised. If you're new a single stage is a great way to get into reloading. You'll be good at all of the fundamentals when you do use a progressive.

Here's a long link with many pictures of peoples reloading areas: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=218720
Notice how many people have a single stage and a progressive or turret.

FWIW I've had my T-Mag turret press for over 20 years... I love it and it's always suited me. If I find enough spare change in the couch cushions I'll pick up a 1050 progressive...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top