JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
looking for a powered trimmer and case prep center all in one. Think i have narrowed it down to rcbs universal case prep or the hornady case prep center.

will be doing 223, 30-06. while i dont trim pistol brass, i may try it when i get the trimmer. for pistol 38, 44, 45.

while the frankford arsenal has had great reviews, i have the extra cash and have the hankering to be able to do pistol if i desire. starting to learn my lesson of spending the money once for the best and be done with it.

i also currently run rcbs and hornady equipment and like both so would like to stick with those companies.

so which one and why?

I reloaded for about 10 years give or take and used only rcbs..never had an issue with quality. Reloading is a 50/50 deal in my opinion when it comes down to it..quality of equipment and quality of knowledge

I use the RCBS case prep center. I have one stage set up with a primer
pocket uni-former. I always uni primer pockets first time brass is reloaded.
A high primer can result in a slam fire. Which can destroy a rifle.
No experience with the Hornady.
From what I have heard they make quality products.
RCBS Trim Mate Case Prep Center Carbide Primer Pocket Uniformer (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1458146201/rcbs-trim-mate-case-prep-center-carbide-primer-pocket-uniformer)
RCBS Trim Mate Case Prep Center Carbide Deburring Tool (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/653377/rcbs-trim-mate-case-prep-center-carbide-deburring-tool)
I have used a lot of different trimmers. Some leave a much larger
burr on the case. I have been using this WFT trimmer for a year
or so and really like them. Hardly any burr. Fast and easy to use.
I have one in 223-308-30/06. Started reloading 38/357 in 1978.
I have never trimmed pistol brass. I reload for 9mm-38-357-40S&W
45acp-44mag. :eek::eek::eek:
Little Crow Gunworks World's Finest Trimmer 6x45mm (6mm-223 Remington) (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/230394/little-crow-gunworks-worlds-finest-trimmer-6x45mm-6mm-223-remington)

Last Edited:
After looking at my safe, I decided I needed rifle rods and a door organizer vefore spending the extra cash on the hornady or rcbs universal.

So I will be back to looking at the franford, or wft. I think the frankford has the edge in my mind. A heck of a lot of praise going on with it over the web.

After looking at my safe, I decided I needed rifle rods and a door organizer vefore spending the extra cash on the hornady or rcbs universal.

So I will be back to looking at the franford, or wft. I think the frankford has the edge in my mind. A heck of a lot of praise going on with it over the web.
@tarster
Share the process you went through... costs etc.

@tarster
Share the process you went through... costs etc.

not much to it. ran out of room in the safe so time for a re-org or another safe. no room or money for another safe so spent a couple of hundred on organization.

rifle rods are everywhere and seem to work from the online stories.
Rifle Rods - 20 pk - Gun Racks (http://www.deansafe.com/rifle-rods-20-pack.html)

the harder part was the door organizer. I have a fort knox 6637 with steel on inside of the door. So I was having troubles figuring out which organizer would work. the molle systems would work if i could attach it, but since i didnt have any gear, it would cause me to do a lot of purchasing to put stuff up. so i decided on the acorn holsters. plus other small pouches, etc

Acorn Velcro Pistol Holsters | Velcro Handgun Pockets | Free Shipping (http://www.deansafe.com/aco-acornpistolholsters.html)

i will just go down to the local craft/fabric store for some loop fabric and spray glue it onto my panel.

I did decide to to for the frankford case trimmer. while wft is great, i dont have a drill press and dont like the idea of holding a hand drill for 223. and still needing to deburr,chamfer by hand. the frankford is only $150 at walmart
Frankford Arsenal Case Trim and Prep Center - Walmart.com (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Frankford-Arsenal-Reloading-Tools-Platinum-Series-Case-Prep-and-Trim-System-9031/36128113)

@gtivan Close.. close.. What @Dyjital was referring to was I was doing quite a bit of research on the WFT and WFT2 trim body before I ultimately ended up buying the Frankford Arsenal Prep Center. Here is my reasoning.. I primarily trim 223 and 308, but my buddy does 22-250, 30'06, 300 win mag, and 270 win for my dad..

So here is the issue I came into.. I could buy a WFT for every caliber I run, 70$ a piece, 420$ total, or I saw the WFT2, which sounds great, 70$ body and then 20$ per insert per caliber 190$.. well that started sounding quite a bit better..

That was until I watched a few videos on youtube about it.. then the main issue with the WFT came to light for me.. It uses 2 set screws into the side of a carbide or HSS endmill to set the cut amount.. there is no fine movement, there is no threads, no hash markings.. nothing..

I was a machinist for about 7 years before following my career path into computers, but that taught me plenty of how inaccurate the setup that WFT uses would be..

Then to complicate it.. if you changed calibers.. you had to reset the whole thing every stinking time..

I then watched a youtube video and the gentlemen was explaining how the Frankford Arsenal Prep Center uses the same shoulder technique as the WFT, but.. it has a threaded collar that adjusts with .005 incremental hash marks, which you can very very easily split to get down to .001+- .00005 accuracy... And the best part.. 150$ and it does .17 - .458.. OH.. and here is the kicker..

With a WFT I would still have to pick up a hand drill after I trimmed the brass and do the inner and outer chamfer to the brass with a hand drill.. The Frankford has it all built into a single machine, I trim the brass and then immediately pull it out and chamfer and debur it on the same machine at the same time.

I will tell you what.. this thing is well worth the 160$ for it.

If you do MASS amount of a single caliber.. then the WFT would be a great option, but for my self when Im doing a few hundred here and a few hundred there of different calibers.. the frankford is by far the better option for price and for what it brings to the table.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top