JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have RCBS die set made in 1961. The decap die is aluminum body. Anyone ever seen this before ?
Have not found anything online regarding this, maybe someone here has seen one before ?
It works fine, I just never had one before. My friend passed and I inherited most of his firearm related items. RCBS38spl.jpg

The odd one out looks a whole lot more like a seating die to me?

The early dies sized separately, then expanded and decapped in the second stage of a 3 die set. My understanding is that with the advent of progressive presses, they had to move the decap and expander ball to the sizing die.

That's the way they were made it is a decal / flaring die and is run as the second die it is old school and works fine in a single stage press yes they changed it for progressive pressrs

The body of the expander and seating dies do not contact the case, so they could be made with pot metal (if they could take the pressure).
All my RCBS dies from that period we're steel.

Other than aluminum, it looks like my steel decap and size die.
Maybe it has a steel sleeve or liner?
No liner or sleeve. Decap and expand is steel. Only the part that screws into the press is aluminum. Works fine. Just seems to be an unusual die as all Ive seen before is all steel. Perhaps RCBS ran a batch then decided to stay with all steel decap dies. the caliber is 38 spl. I use carbide dies now and will just keep this set around with all the hundreds of other gun items I have but no longer use.;)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top