JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Had to chuckle…

I meet my buddy at a nearby field to fly RC planes whenever the wind is calm. He showed up a few minutes late yesterday and saw the white 30" powered glider lazing around a couple hundred feet above me. My trusty red Carbon Cub was sitting at my feet.

Perpetually amused and a little annoyed with my single-guy philosophy (he who dies with all the toys wins), he asked "So, what the hell is this now?"

"My new glider, you like it? I can get it way up there, let it float, switch channels and launch the Cub too. That's 20 years of air traffic control experience right there… multi-tasking at its finest. Watch this!"

Zoom! Off goes the little red Cub! Loops, aileron rolls, flat-hat fly-bys, etc. Glider slowly circling above on a thermal. "I'm just glad they're different colors."

Rarely at a loss for commentary, he stood and watched silently. After about 5 minutes he finally said, "Okay, I'm impressed. How the #@$% do you do that?"

I said, "See that couple sitting 100 yards up the hill over there? I can't really tell from here, but I suspect that's a radio in his lap."

Last Edited:
Interesting question Ric.

I've seen military RC surveillance aircraft launched and recovered on Navy warships. In that light, it woudn't occur to me to classify my own 3-4 ounce park flyers as "drones."

But, sadly, I expect that someone with little/no experience or perspective will be appointed to invent laws specifying which is which. And then impose expensive red-tape restrictions on the hobby. Maybe Obama's guffawing jester Joe Bidet can manage that project? "Buy a shotgun!"

Familiar theme? You bet.

Last Edited:
But back to the joy of flying...

There are very few things I can think of (with my clothes on) that can erase day-to-day mental turmoil (work stuff, bills, conflict, aches and pains, etc.) for a few minutes like performing my own private airshow.

It doesn't get much more zen than "survive... survive... survive..."

Last Edited:
Good link there Modeler. Thanks. I hope that definition and the current regulations can remain more or less intact.

As rotor & fixed wing platforms for digital cameras and such proliferate at relatively great prices, I hear acquaintances (who can't tell a Cessna from a Chevy Caprice) making innocent comments like, "Looks like fun! I should buy one of those 'drones' to fly with the kids."

It just gives me a little uneasy deja vu when I think of the similarly blurry boundaries (if any) that some of those same people imagine between "guns" and "assault rifles."

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top