Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

RC Flying

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by teflon97239, Aug 12, 2014.

1. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Had to chuckle…

I meet my buddy at a nearby field to fly RC planes whenever the wind is calm. He showed up a few minutes late yesterday and saw the white 30” powered glider lazing around a couple hundred feet above me. My trusty red Carbon Cub was sitting at my feet.

Perpetually amused and a little annoyed with my single-guy philosophy (he who dies with all the toys wins), he asked “So, what the hell is this now?”

“My new glider, you like it? I can get it way up there, let it float, switch channels and launch the Cub too. That’s 20 years of air traffic control experience right there… multi-tasking at its finest. Watch this!”

Zoom! Off goes the little red Cub! Loops, aileron rolls, flat-hat fly-bys, etc. Glider slowly circling above on a thermal. “I’m just glad they’re different colors.”

Rarely at a loss for commentary, he stood and watched silently. After about 5 minutes he finally said, “Okay, I’m impressed. How the #@$% do you do that?”

I said, “See that couple sitting 100 yards up the hill over there? I can’t really tell from here, but I suspect that’s a radio in his lap.”

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    ZA_Survivalist, Sgt Nambu and RicInOR like this.
  2. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

What is the essential differences between an RC - which I associate with the hobby -
    UAV, Drones and the like?

3. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Political Correctness

ZA_Survivalist likes this.
  4. teflon97239

Interesting question Ric.

I've seen military RC surveillance aircraft launched and recovered on Navy warships. In that light, it woudn't occur to me to classify my own 3-4 ounce park flyers as "drones."

But, sadly, I expect that someone with little/no experience or perspective will be appointed to invent laws specifying which is which. And then impose expensive red-tape restrictions on the hobby. Maybe Obama's guffawing jester Joe Bidet can manage that project? "Buy a shotgun!"

Familiar theme? You bet.

5. teflon97239

But back to the joy of flying...

There are very few things I can think of (with my clothes on) that can erase day-to-day mental turmoil (work stuff, bills, conflict, aches and pains, etc.) for a few minutes like performing my own private airshow.

It doesn't get much more zen than "survive... survive... survive..."

6. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

Per the FAA, hobby/recreation vs. business purposes and visual line of sight.

http://www.faa.gov/uas/faq/#qn2

RicInOR likes this.
  7. teflon97239

Good link there Modeler. Thanks. I hope that definition and the current regulations can remain more or less intact.

As rotor & fixed wing platforms for digital cameras and such proliferate at relatively great prices, I hear acquaintances (who can't tell a Cessna from a Chevy Caprice) making innocent comments like, "Looks like fun! I should buy one of those 'drones' to fly with the kids."

It just gives me a little uneasy deja vu when I think of the similarly blurry boundaries (if any) that some of those same people imagine between "guns" and "assault rifles."

8. Sincere

Sincere Between Cascadia and Jefferson Active Member

Well the feds are banning fpv flying which is bullbubblegum.

It's coolest and most fun development in flying today.