JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Okay, I was able to participate in a long range rifle match and ended up getting second place. Very windy day. Only my second match. I used my Bergara 6.5cm with the primary arms platinum series 5-30x56 Deka reticle which is mil/mil. The scope performed very well. The turrets track and feel very high quality. Held zero perfectly. The range of the match was 200-1300 yards for the portion I used this rifle. Compared to my Burris xtr ii 5-25x50 the primary arms platinum series 5-30x56 Deka reticle is a step up in glass, feel and overall quality. However I would buy another Burris without hesitation if I couldn't swing the primary arms platinum series. I plan on getting a 338LM and plan to put one of these two scopes on it. It just depends on what funds I have at the time. First choice is the primary arms platinum series 5-30x56 Deka reticle because it compares to the Nightforce NXS, Sig Tango 6 and Vortex Razor Gen ii for a lot less money. It would be very hard for me to spend more than the primary arms platinum series 5-30x56 after using it. I was right there with guys using S&B, Razors, Sightrons, Nightforces, etc. Very happy with my purchase. Wasn't sure about the chevron in the Deka reticle but once I used it a few times it was fine. The primary arms platinum turrets are tactile without being too stiff. The clicks are crisp and precise. The zero stop on the burris is not as easy to set up as the quick and simple zero stop on the PA. The focus knob is smooth and so is the power adjustment ring. They are both stiffer than the burris but not too stiff. The burris turrets are on the verge of too stiff, you really need to grab them good. I've held, looked through and played with Nightforce NXS, Sig Tango 6, Vortex Razor HD gen ii, Burris XTR ii, Vortex Viper pst and the primary arms platinum series 5-30x56 Deka reticle. They're all really nice. My opinion on best value, bang for the buck is the PA. Let me know if anyone has any questions. Sorry it took so long to get back to you guys.

Last Edited:
The matches are held east of Bend Oregon COSSA range. It's a private gun club similar to the Douglas Ridge Rifle Club, but their range goes all the way out to a mile. At the first match I participated in I hit the mile 3 of 3 shots with my savage 110 ba in 300wm with the Burris XTR ii 5-25x50 on it. Great Day for me. Photos, the scope photo with the red cap release is the primary arms platinum looking at about 1200 yards. The other scope photo is the burris at my first match looking at 750 yards at the same shooting range in Bend. The range photo is my Cousin's customized ruger RPR with a vortex razor gen ii 4.5-27x56 and my savage 110 ba on the right. He was shooting 6.5cm and I was shooting 300wm. 20170923_091104.jpg 20170923_091116.jpg 20170805_094146.jpg 20171007_124501.jpg 20170805_100038.jpg

Long range shooting is similar to golf but using rifles. Hit ball with correct club and get it in the hole, account for range, terrain and wind. Long range shoot you use the correct rifle and caliber, account for range, terrain and wind. Get the bullet on the target. It's a blast, literally.

Ive also been looking for the lower cost / "same performance" option. Has anyone used and hopefully compared the Athlon Cronus or Cronus BTR to this class of scopes? They are a few hundred more than PA but still much less than the Tango or Razor. Notable differences:
-The Athlon has 32/18 mil travel compared to 23.6 for PA
-Athlon has a more conventional cross hair / Christmas tree reticle. The PA may have some good features and be designed well, but it is considerably unique
-Athlon has 4.5 mag on low end vs. 6 for PA but gives up 1x on top, which I would prefer.
- Athlon is slightly lighter than PA
A warranty is only as good as the company behind it. I can't find any information on how long Athlon has been in business. They get nothing but excellent reviews from everything I've read.
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/cronus-btr-4-5-29x-56mm-from-athlon-optics.3924119/

I have heard of Athlon but I have no personal experience with them. At the two matches I've competed in I didn't see any in use. Most people were using the usual suspects like vortex, Nightforce, Burris, S&B, I did see a sightron for the first time.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top