JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am considering one of these two offerings in the long range 5-30 x 56 magnification area. I would like to hear from folks who have one of these or has done a side by side comparison. Let me know your thoughts and experiences with them. Thanks!

I have been as well. I haven't seen a clear difference searching and reading other forums on the topic. One thing that I have noticed with my other optics (18-25x max.) is that 27x - 30x is a lot of magnification and not necessary for most shooters and applications. Between the brands Sig has a clear advantage with the 4-24 over 3-18. I am considering this to save a few bucks. I am building a 6.5 CM, which is what the next optic purchase will be. I want to step it up to a premium optic, but I am pretty happy with the SWFA 5-25 HD for 1/2 the price. I haven't had he opportunity to look through the Razor or Tango6 in the field.

I have been as well. I haven't seen a clear difference searching and reading other forums on the topic. One thing that I have noticed with my other optics (18-25x max.) is that 27x - 30x is a lot of magnification and not necessary for most shooters and applications. Between the brands Sig has a clear advantage with the 4-24 over 3-18. I am considering this to save a few bucks. I am building a 6.5 CM, which is what the next optic purchase will be. I want to step it up to a premium optic, but I am pretty happy with the SWFA 5-25 HD for 1/2 the price. I haven't had he opportunity to look through the Razor or Tango6 in the field.

I have not had the opportunity to use or look through an SWFA HD optic. What other brands would you compare it to? How does it compare to the vortex viper pst series for example?

I have the Gen II Razor and love it. I haven't compared it to the Tango6 but I do have a Gen I Razor and Nightforce NXS to compare it to. I will say that none of them are slouches but I feel the Gen II is definitely worth the money. As far as magnification goes, I would much rather have it and not need it than the other way around.

I agree with you on the magnification, having it available if needed is great.

I just had a new scope pop up on my radar. The primary arms platinum series 5-30 x 56 with the deca? Reticle. Seems like a contender.

I have the Tango 6 in 30x magnification.
It's a great piece. Heavy but well built. The Vortex is heavier IIRC.
I haven't owned the Razor HD but in looking through one, am also very impressed.
I don't think you can go wrong. I would ask a dealer that carries both if they have any room to work on the price... I have "noticed" the Sig can have a little more flexibility in the pricing than the Vortex.
Good luck and enjoy! Can't make a wrong decision with either

So I ended up with neither of the original posting optics. After hours of careful and critical research I ordered the primary arms platinum series 5-30x56 Deka reticle which is mil/mil. I will be able to compare this scope side by side with the razor hd gen 2, burris xtr 2, Leopold vx6 and a 1st gen viper pst. I will report back my findings. I spoke directly with a rep from primary arms and he claimed the platinum series is as good as or better than the razor HD gen 2 and the nightforce nxs. We will see.

Last Edited:
Looking forward to the results. Was curious how the xtr II would do. It seems comparable to the SWFA HD when viewing through both. It is heavier built and has 34mm tube over 30mm for SWFA. The PA is more n line with razor or Tango6 specs considering tube and objective diameters. Too bad you don't have a tango6 for comparison as well. I really struggle with the cost of $2,500 + optics per rifle. I have several that this type of optic would apply to and can't have that much in them x6 + rifles. You do get what you pay for in glass, but like you I am always looking for that high value. I have Swarovski, Zeiss and vortex razor in spotting scopes and binos. I've only heard good things about SWFA optics and they are often sold out.

Yes when you have a few rifles it's expensive to put good glass on all of them. I have a burris xtr 2 5-25x50 and I love it. Very nice scope for the money. Very excited to see how the primary arms platinum compares. I have looked through and played with the tango 6 at cabelas, but I don't have one available for a side by side comparison.

So I ended up with neither of the original posting optics. After hours of careful and critical research I ordered the primary arms platinum series 5-30x56 Deka reticle which is mil/mil. I will be able to compare this scope side by side with the razor hd gen 2, burris xtr 2, Leopold vx6 and a 1st gen viper pst. I will report back my findings. I spoke directly with a rep from primary arms and he claimed the platinum series is as good as or better than the razor he gen 2 and the nightforce nxs. We will see.
So are you on the PA waiting list?

I have it in hand already! Need to mount and zero, then run some tests. It feels like a razor HD 2 or any Nightforce I have played with. More details to come. Bought through optics planet.

Just for reference, all of those scopes, save Leupold, are all manufactured in the same place, with the same quality glass. The difference being the features in the scope and the design as that is owned and created by each individual company. Even Leupold get almost all of their internal parts, including glass from the same place. They just put it together in Beaverton.

The gen 2 vortex and nightforce source their glass from japan.
The vortex amg is made completely in America.
Pst lines and a lot of the scopes less than a grand get their glass from the philipines.

Last Edited:
My Burris XTR ii 5-25x50 says made in the Philippines. My Vortex Viper pst 6-24x50 is also made in the Philippines. The primary arms platinum series 5-30x56 is made in Japan. I have 2 othe vipers with different magnification ranges and they are also made in the Philippines.

I just got my 34mm rings yesterday and mounted the primary arms platinum series scope on my Bergara 6.5 cm. Hope to get out to the range this weekend. Should be able to compare the scopes side by side and report back.

Curious to hear how well the turrets track - if they return to the same zero after being adjusted several times. Also did you get the DEKA or ACSS reticle?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top