Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Rattling?

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by orygun, Oct 15, 2009.

1. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Anyone got experience successfully rattling for Blacktails they would like to share?:confused:

2. MilitaryMan84

MilitaryMan84 Mcminnvile, Oregon Member

Personally I have never tried it. I would like to know how it works for our shy blacktails as well.

3. BrianL

BrianL Hermiston Active Member

I have tried it with no luck, however I did it early in the season. I'm going to try it again along with some doe sent near the end of October. I have been told by other hunter that is does work.

4. Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter Beaverton New Member

I have tried it a few times with my dad and we did not have any luck either but I have some friends that have been very successful closer towards the rut though..

5. Deavis

Deavis Mid Willamette Valley Active Member

I do have some success.... check out videos on You-Tube... pretty much exactly what I do. Especially the one from the Field and Stream writer.

6. Greenbaum

Greenbaum Vancouver, WA Member

Yes, its worked for us. Hard to say why or what made it so special. the success rate is usually 50%. Try late October through November. The rut definitely helps, but its worked either or.

What happened with me, is the dear tend to become curious. The bucks don't come rushing in like the Whitetails or bull elk when bugling, they stand up and move into range with curiosity.

Send someone into some cover with the horns (big thick ones) and the other hunters need to position around, but in positions with visibility of the area. Give it thirty minutes max, ten minutes min., then move location.

Thats the best advice I got.

Goodluck,
    Mike

7. BrianL

Well I tried some rattling this evening for a couple hours. Even put some doe sent out. The only thing I got was a sore finger when I hit it hard with one of the antlers. Ouch! It may still be to early for rattling. But I'm going to keep trying.

8. ehunter

ehunter Hilllsboro Oregon Member

It helps to be in a area with good buck to doe ratios and we don't have that in the coast range but it works better down south and in the valley. But I will be trying that along with a coyote call and any thing else I can think of good luck.

9. johnboy

johnboy Hillsboro Member

I usually hunt East but a friend does do the rattling here. I will try it and fawn bleat (fawn bleat will occaisionally work) as I will be hunting here this year (no draw East) Saw this guy in city limits......

10. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I put a tree stand up for the first time ever last Sunday in an area I've had contact with bucks the last few years. Let it set for almost a week before climbing into it an hour and a half before sunrise on Saturday. Rattled a few times before noon. I did it like the dude from Field and Stream did when trying to imitate two young bucks. About 40 seconds of fairly light rattling. Twice about 20 minutes after rattling I heard something crashing the brush about 50 yards away from me.

I think that I had drawn a buck in and I either got "busted" by movement or by scent.

today I didn't get any action at all in the same location. hmmm...

11. BrianL

I've been rattling for about a week now, and only today, I may have gotten some results. I also heard some movement in the bushes but could not see anything. On the way back to my car I saw a doe, but that was a full hour after rattling. Those squirrel can make a lot of racket.

12. BrianL

Ok, I came to the conclusion that rattling is worthless.

13. coyote223

coyote223 NW Oregon Stamp Collector,,,

Came to the same conclusion. Tried it most of the season, no response at all.