JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am planning on more time in eastern oregon and thought of walking out in the flats with the juniper to set up targets. I see in Klamath Rouge area there are rattlesnakes. Anybody ever get bit by one?

Never thought about this until now. Say between Wasco and Pendleton south to about Bend. I know thats a huge area but generally.

range.jpg

I see in Klamath Rouge area there are rattlesnakes. Anybody ever get bit by one?
Not only NEVER having been bit by one but I have never even SEEN a rattler in Oregon (lots of other snakes but never a rattler)

Technically we only have one indigenous rattlesnake, the Northern Pacific Rattlesnake, and they are typically found around rivers, rocky, higher areas and not so much in drier, flatland areas.

Like anything they are one of 'nature's elements' and hardly a concern - but just be aware of any places you might stick your hands into you cannot see - and not just because of snakes but other critters as well.

Never had any problems myself, but I'm pretty observant. You can get snake boots that will protect from strikes if you are worried. You can also get snake shot for 38 and 44 cal revolvers.

Snakes are usually only a problem if you accidentally creep up on one and scare it. Outside of protecting themselves they really aren't a threat.

I have never been bit by one.
I have been in areas with rattlesnakes...and have found them to be "shy"...and willing to give warning of their intentions .
So , for me at least...they have been easy enough to avoid.
Andy

Technically we only have one indigenous rattlesnake, the Northern Pacific Rattlesnake, and they are typically found around rivers, rocky, higher areas
Every time I have run across one it's been in just such areas. The only time it was a worry was because buddy and I were camping with our then unwoodsy girlfriends and a dog. Just used a long branch to tease it to coil on the branch then threw the branch and snake across a very narrow section of the John Day River.

Heck we have more to worry about with "Hobo spiders' in Oregon - and this is what ya get when one gnaws on your ankle all night long! - and this was still about 3 weeks later - their venom hangs on for a while!

IMG_2697[1].JPG

The last live rattlesnake I encountered... The White River public hunting area on the east slope of Mt. Hood, near Pine Grove. He was in the green grass, and colored as green as the grass. Never coiled, never rattled. I very nearly walked over him. I had to take him out, as we had dogs working in the same area.

And an acquaintance recently killed a rattle snake in the hills above Mosier.

Just across the river, same type of terrain, near Yakima, Rattlesnake Hills and Horse Heaven Hills, I've seen more rattle snakes than I ever thought could have existed anywhere.

Last Edited:
Worked road construction and hunted all over eastern and Central Oregon. Saw a lot of rattle snakes over the years, all different sizes. Around Stanfield the snakes would stretch out on the new paved road and looked like a stick. As you got close they would slither off into a tumble weed and you couldn't even see them. If you walked in the tumble weeds you could get bit.

Biggest snakes about the thickness of your arm were north of John Day in the hills.

Paved around the snake River and plenty of rattlers there. The Dalles was full of snakes.

A lot more snakes in Oregon than people realize.

Oregon rattler and Pronghorn steaks for dinner, yum.

If you do get bit your screwed, dont try the bite kits or sucking the poison out it will make it worse. Keep the wound above the heart and get to a hospital asap is all you can do.

snake.jpg

I've never been hit by a rattle snake, but I've seen them plenty of times in Oregon (and other locales in the US and abroad.) I agree with @Andy54Hawken when he says they seemed "shy" and easy to avoid assuming you don't bother them.

I have run across several rattlesnakes in both Eastern (Smith Rocks) and Southern Oregon (Douglas, Jackson and Josephine Counties). I have come close to stepping on a couple of them. I only knew they were there because they warned me by rattling, at which time I reversed direction. Never saw one attempt to strike. The others I have encountered were either basking in the sun or or resting in the shade of structures on a hot afternoon. They usually try to escape when encountered. Generally, our native species is non-aggresive. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just watch where you are walking and if you should hear a rattle (unlikely) head away from the sound.

I have been around quite a few in the Deschutes Canyon over the years when fishing.
Make plenty of noise when you're in "snakey areas".
Don't step or reach into areas that you can't see completely.

And listen for that rattle.
They don't all sound the same.
I had a big one make a rattle that sounded like the gas escaping a propane tank.
A loud hiss.

Don't let "Fear of the Serpent" get in your head or you won't be able to enjoy the East Side.
Be aware, not scared.

Senseless to kill them, they are part of the eco system in the wild. I have seen eagles fly off with them so obviously they have predators that kill them.

Walking next to a new road cleaning up I heard a "tink" as a rattlesnake attacked my shovel. Didn't even see him they blend in in some areas so well. You don't hear them as traffic goes by.

Always let them go, they eat pest as is their job to do.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top