JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone know a good way to remove a rat from under your house when poison isn't an option and traps don't work and cats can never get him when they go under there.
I have a norweigen rat under my house and he keeps borrowing I to my walls and below my bath tub and I am afraid he may be chewin wire or ruining insulation below the house while he's down there as well.

Grateful for any advice that works. Tried many things they all seem to end In failure. Even tried crushing urinal cakes and throwing them under house.

Jp

Trust me, unless you know the process to trap rats out hire a professional.
We're licensed and very well experienced and trained.
If you just chucked a trap down there and it was tripped but nothing was caught, there is a very likely chance you've A. Made it/them trap shy or B. The Alpha male or female ate the carcass.

I do NOT advise just throwing bait down there, god forbid there are semi subterranean tunnels, insulation nesting pockets or potentially accessible wall voids the rat(s) may die in there and then you're stuck with the smell of a dead rat or two.. And its quite pungent in a house. Even large houses.

If it cannot be trapped, then baiting and glue traps are the only other solutions, but odds are it can still be trapped out.

These old wives tales are cute, but I'd stick with the advise from a professional.

There is hope yet brother.
Killin rats, its what I do.

Yeah I tried a lot of what people suggested but I am afraid to go the poision route due to as you said it dying in my wall somewhere. I had hired a professional and he did live catch traps and covered all its holes up. I think after a few weeks he caught one but only one. The one under my house and in the side of my shower is a smart bubblegummer if the urine cakes didn't work on it I doub the dryer sheets will :) and I am not prepared to poision it yet and I don't think that's a possible route I can go anyhow I have multiple dogs and at and if they vet it positioned because of it I would forgive my self. I think I have made it trap shy as it won't trigger any traps no matter what bait I out on it. I tried sticky traps before but to no avail. If I do saucer of anti freze or windshield fluid how fast does it die? Would it take a while and more than likely die in its nest? Sigh I hear it scratching around in the wall by my bath tune it sounds huge. I am hoping its not a female I heard they mate in march and can have up to 8 baby's per litter. Wish I could bait it out and hoot it trust me I would if it was possible.

Decon - buy it at wall mart or the grange. I live in the woods in as long as I have lived here one or two died in smelling range. They are small and three days it is gone forever unless you want to remember it for the rest of your life. You are welcome to if you are so inclined.
I keep it in three buildings and a few farm vehicles they all start right up due to the ready availability of a food source- De-con.
Just one bite - Kills UM Dead never lost a dog, cat, chicken or sheep, from them eating the stuff either. Usually they make it out side looking for water to die but not always.
Silver Hand

Bacon burn it, singe it with a bic real good tie it to a rat trap trigger with thread place the trap anywhere he is known to linger you will have him the next day or so. If not check the trap and re bate the same place you will get him and his kin one after the next.
Silver Hand

Ok I will try both of those thAnks or the suggestions guys much appreciated I am going to try these out on it one of them has to work right?

Jp

Don't laugh at this one, it works. Have a little time on your hands? Use a small sharp treble hook baited with your choice of bait, set it in a likely location, string out your line and get ready to set the hook and reel the varmint in. Its a kick in the arse and works. Helps to have a six pack of your favorite beer on hand to pass the time until the bites on!

I like salmonriverjohn's idea. Got to try that sometime.

About 20 years ago a friend of mine had a skunk living in the crawlspace of his first floor apartment. He called animal control, and convinced them to come out and have a look. The guy who came was brand new to the job. He told my friend that unless the skunk was rabid, he wasn't allowed to do anything. My buddy asked him to just have a look, so the guy crawled down and flashed his light under the apartment--and there was the skunk right in front of him. So what did he do? He drew his sidearm and shot the skunk. But he only wounded it so everyone got sprayed, and the dying skunk bombed the entire crawlspace. My friend moved out the next day.

Some victor rat traps and peanut butter is all supplies you need. It's where, when and how you set the traps. Salted Weapon hit most of the important points in his post above. The only things I can really add to what he has mentioned is look for paths of travel and water sources. They tend to travel along walls and edges. An often overlooked source of water is the drip pan under a refridgerator or freezer.

Gopher snakes.
They are hard to keep contained and cats will attack and kill them. I used to have a lot of gopher snakes on my property in Redmond and would throw every one I could capture under my house but they never stayed put. I did however read somewhere once about how to make the best rat/mouse trap ever. Take a five gal bucket and engineer two uprights across from one another with a small shaft and a can that will spin freely on the 'axle' Make a ramp up to the rim of the bucket, fill the bucket with water and smear the can surface with peanut butter. Rat/mouse walks up the ramp, jumps to the can which spins and sends it to the drink. Google or Yahoo 'bucket mouse trap'

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top