JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For me it would be a gun I do not enjoy shooting.
I love all my firearms but the Henry Golden Boy Silver is the one gun I may just need to sell.

Too nice to shoot, I worry about a scratch or nick happening to it.
Heavy
Buckhorn sites suck azz

These are readily available so if I lost $125 on it to purchase say a .357 lever I would not loose any sleep over it.

Wish it was that easy. It would be same thing as telling a drug user to quit until he has honest money to spend on his habit. I'm addicted to the purchase.
Enroll in Sonoran Desert Institute. Use student loans to pay off your gun parts and float more gun parts, you'll need them for class. Defer the loans until you graduate. Find a way to not graduate by extending your program. Rinse and repeat until student loan debt is washed away by the powers that be or you die, whichever comes first.

that was a joke. :rolleyes:

It's tough, I know. I get a ton of enjoyment out of buying gun parts and building guns. Really love all the hand fitting required for the cowboy guns. I haven't made any big sell offs yet but it's coming ahead of a move. We may end up in an assault rifle restricted state, so that'll suck but also force my hand. (Especially with a no expenses spared 20" upper…think Seekins, JP, Krieger :eek:)

What I'm crunching numbers on now is an attempt to break even. Over Black Friday, for example, I picked up some blem Aero parts that were discounted 20% off their normal price, and then applied a 10% coupon code to the cart. I'm fairly certain that I could sell those specific parts at a slight profit…though I'd end up using that profit to cover parts that I couldn't find as deeply discounted. The net result would, hopefully, be a firearm I sell for what I spent to build it.

More and more, I'm looking into restorations.

It's not that I'm quitting the game, it's that I'm changing my self imposed rules to both stretch out the completion time and lower the cost to acquire.

As for dealing with selling at a loss? I don't expect my hobbies to bring in money. The last time I turned a hobby into a productive enterprise (photography), I did make good money. I then burned out so hard I didn't touch a camera for a decade. I don't want that result with guns. So, it's a hobby, and it costs money. See above strategy for minimizing money spent for maximizing pleasure gained.

If I do end up having to sell off AR's, I'll probably cope with bourbon.

IIRC, took a heavy loss on my AR50, but made some of it back on the .50 ammo and other ammo I sold. Then used those $ to buy more guns and ammo - which put me in the red (figuratively with regards to how much I spent vs. how much I sold).

The loss amortized over the time of ownership makes for, essentially, a cheap rental.

A good way to avoid losing money is to only buy H&K or pretty much any popular Euro semiautomatic. Or milsurps like MAS 49/56, K98k, Russian SKS, etc. A good way to lose tons of money is trying to sell a PSA AR build or pretty much any AR unless it's LMT or LWRC.

Focusing on the finances of supporting a hobby can rob the joy from the hobby.

It's just stuff.

Right now I have more than I really need or even shoot. I've completely lost interest in the AR stuff. I should probably sell them all, but I have no real reason to either. The hassle of selling private party in WA takes away from the minimal monetary gain I'd see. On the other hand, it would be nice to throw another few grand at the MT property and gain that one extra inch closer to getting out of here.

Focusing on the finances of supporting a hobby can rob the joy from the hobby.

It's just stuff.

Right now I have more than I really need or even shoot. I've completely lost interest in the AR stuff. I should probably sell them all, but I have no real reason to either. The hassle of selling private party in WA takes away from the minimal monetary gain I'd see. On the other hand, it would be nice to throw another few grand at the MT property and gain that one extra inch closer to getting out of here.
Now is not a great time to be selling AR stuff but if one party regains control of House and or Senate in November, I predict we are going to see Trump era pricing again. That means people will be putting together complete ARs for sub $300 again. I will try to sell whatever I don't want before spring while tax refunds are coming in.

Now is not a great time to be selling AR stuff but if one party regains control of House and or Senate in November, I predict we are going to see Trump era pricing again. That means people will be putting together complete ARs for sub $300 again. I will try to sell whatever I don't want before spring while tax refunds are coming in.
I'd just assume keep it if all that happens.

Sure, it might help a tiny bit if I had the cash for something else, but it's not really going to make a great difference in the grand scheme of things.

I could get hit by a bus while out walking my dog this afternoon.

If Oregon IP 18 passes (a copy of the Connecticut Assault Weapons Ban), then AR stuff will be in high demand.
Good point but that will be local demand though and buyers may just purchase components online instead of paying higher local prices. It could go the other way too like AR pistols and braces. With the pending restrictions I have seen a ton of sellers dumping them and that includes commercial sellers.

I don't buy anything unless I can pay for it immediately with cash or a check.

And when I used to use a card and get rewards - free gasoline - I paid the bill in full EARLY - ahead of time or when it was due. I did this a LOT before I went on some trips too. I did not want the bill to FLOAT IN while I was back on the east coast or when my late husband was overseas.

I have never paid interest or a late fee or any of that crapola for a 'card'. Ever!

I am too cheap (LOL) aka FRUGAL to do that and it is against my principles even when I was a fairly poor Nam era USN bride starting out in life with my late husband. Most young people starting out in life are SELF MADE and not trust fund babies. That was us.

I do not really believe in USURY. I think it is wrong morally and a 'sin' too.

I was taught to use personal responsibility in life in all things, we had some chores and we got an allowance as children too. I had a job as a young lady growing up. I worked a bit as a teen (60's) in Aunt C's law firm, she became a partner in the late 40's or early 50's, and I baby sat too.

I did without and/or I saved up my money towards my extras in life.

Although I am FRUGAL with my money and can budget well - I can be a generous lady too. That makes no sense to some people but such is life! That is moi! Grin.

I don't believe in paying INTEREST for anything other than a house construction loan - we bought the LAND first, a vehicle if you can't pay it totally IN FULL and only owe a small amount - pay it off EARLY or a boat like my late husband bought and his EXTRA money paid for it and it was for a very short time. I ended up paying that in full.

My only boat purchase was a Sunfish sail boat and I saved up for that boat. IT was my 30th birthday gift to myself.

My late husband owned more sail and power boats over the years too. ALL extra money that he earned and it was not in the household budget.

I told him that I would pay off the construction loan before it was DUE - end of the loan and before I turned 40 years old and I did just that too.

We worked hard and smart. Sometimes LONG hours. I worked for myself and for other people in my lifetime.

We built a lot of our former house ourselves - we did NOT lay the brick or put up the frame. Etc.!

I am not trying to sound like a smart @@@ or full of it in this post.

Pul___________leeze do not 'take me' that way. Thank you!

I think that if you always have a PRICE in your head about NEVER paying for something that you can't afford to PAY IN FULL before a bill arrives or PAY IN FULL immediately ON THE SPOT and/or NEVER giving any financial institution INTEREST as in a 'card' or extra loans... that may HELP you control your budget.

Take care!

Blessings to you again.

Cate

That means people will be putting together complete ARs for sub $300 again.
Not AR10s.

Of all the money I've spent to poke a hole, guns and ammo have been the cheapest.
Spot on.
Two years of spousal support cost me more than all the money I have spent on firearms, ammunition, optics, gear, reloading, and safes, combined.

I didn't consider that, but in same cases never shot may be a benefit!
I never shot it, but PO did.

I didn't shoot it because it is a scope only rifle and because I had no place to shoot a .50 BMG rifle. No ranges within 100 miles will let you shoot a .50 and I would have to mount the scope (which I never did - I still have it) and find some place way out in the hills that it is safe to shoot a .50 at a distance. By the time I was ready to do that, I was getting too old to consider moving around a 30+ pound 5 foot long rifle - it hurt my back to move it around.

So I sold it - it took years to sell it and I had to drop the price $500.

I do have a few other guns I have not shot - yet. But I intend to keep them. One, a Miroku/Winchester 92 takedown carbine in .44 mag with an octagon barrel, I shot once, and will keep it as a safe queen.

I tried setting aside some cash for firearm related spending in early 2021. I had almost 2k and blew through it. Lately I have been spending out of general funds and have used a credit card as well. I have about $1300 on credit card. I went off the rails this year with spending. Not good.
Get rid of the credit card........ I do not have one and dont miss having one either, they just get ya in trouble. I did have one with a 35,000 or so limit at one time but they ticked me off and I got rid of it years ago.

Wish it was that easy. It would be same thing as telling a drug user to quit until he has honest money to spend on his habit. I'm addicted to the purchase.
HI my name is deadeye and I'm a gunaholic, welcome to the group......... :s0104::s0082:

Last Edited:
I used to get caught up in that trap a bit. It hurt to sell something for less than I "had into it". On the other hand, it was easy to pass along a real bargain if I'd bought it cheap. I've seen guys at gun shows, asking top dollar for something that never sells, because that's what they "have into it". So it sits there for months or even years.

One day someone was explaining business to me in a way that really made sense. What you have into something is completely irrelevant. What it's actually worth is all that really matters.

If you're in business then you need to make a profit, but even then there are many times when it's better to sell something at a loss than to sit on it; free up that capital and shelf space and use it for a product that will turn a profit.

The same principle holds true for hobbies. If you have something you don't want or need anymore, sell it for whatever you can get, and use that money for something that you do want. A few dollars "lost" is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

I have some money sitting in a savings account, that I'd been meaning to invest in the stock market for a couple years. I haven't done that before and didn't know where to start, and am a bit nervous about it. I just recently got serious about it again, and realized just how much money I'd "lost" by having it sit in the bank versus stocks. :eek:

Yeah, I could have bought a safe full of guns with what I missed out on because of that poor decision.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top