JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Too funny!

Whenever the safe is open, and my wife is around, she'll look in and just shake her head and walk away. :s0114:
Husbands (and gun owning wives) take note: Bore Store socks turn everything into a mass of gray indistinguishable blobs; difficult to tell what is inside.

I am revisiting my collection of firearm related stuff and thinking hard about selling more of it. My shopping addiction for firearm related products is not subsiding but I am running out of money to spend on the habit and running out of room to store the new purchases.

How many of you have bought parts to build a firearm and ended up selling the parts before completing the project?

I am planning on selling some of my firearms in the near future. In today's over supplied market, I'm expecting to take a loss on the sales. One way I am trying to make myself feel better about the loss is by estimating what it would have cost to rent the firearm vs buying it for the same period of time I have owned it.

Another way to look at the loss is how much did my ownership of the firearm cost per day. For example if I paid $300 for a rifle 5 years ago and sold it for $150. It cost me about 8 pennies a day to own the rifle. I doubt you could rent one for anywhere close to that.

Is renting a firearm by the month or year even an option in this country?

How do you make a loss on a firearm sale more palatable?
I think about the new gun I'm going to buy with that money.
Once I've made the decision to sell, that gun is dead to me. If I have any pangs about it, I won't sell it.

The collection ebbs and flows, as my tastes change and new interesting firearms are introduced. There's a core to the collection that will never be sold off, others are always eligible for replacement. Always keep sufficient replacements parts for 2x or 3x replacements.

As for reloading supplies and equipment, those are going to remain on the shelf, based upon current availability and pricing. Only time I'd liquidate reloading supplies would be if I liquidated that caliber from the collection.

I keep a separate fund for firearms and firearms related purchases. I try to keep this funded properly, $25-$100/month depending on budget surplus. Any firearms sold fund this kitty as well. This affords sufficient funds for purchases without impacting the household budget.

Just one ole guys way of dealing with the addiction!

I tried setting aside some cash for firearm related spending in early 2021. I had almost 2k and blew through it. Lately I have been spending out of general funds and have used a credit card as well. I have about $1300 on credit card. I went off the rails this year with spending. Not good.

I tried setting aside some cash for firearm related spending in early 2021. I had almost 2k and blew through it. Lately I have been spending out of general funds and have used a credit card as well. I have about $1300 on credit card. I went off the rails this year with spending. Not good.
Too many toys to drool over. I've only been able to set aside what I do because entertainment expenses are way down, thanks Covid. That, coupled with a long overdue promotion and associated raise, has eased the strain on the budget. However, Biden's economic plans and related inflation are starting to eat into that breathing space. :(

I was working at a place where I was getting some pretty massive bonuses for a few years and then I did substantially well in some crypto and real estate transaction in the last couple of years. Rolled some of that into guns but I wanted to curb my buy and sell instinct so I SBR'd most everything. NFA is the kiss of death resale wise unless its a machinegun so it helps me maintain my collection.

I am revisiting my collection of firearm related stuff and thinking hard about selling more of it. My shopping addiction for firearm related products is not subsiding but I am running out of money to spend on the habit and running out of room to store the new purchases.

How many of you have bought parts to build a firearm and ended up selling the parts before completing the project?
Hello,

I never built a firearm. I never bought parts for someone else or for me to change it from the NIB gun that I bought be it a handgun or a rifle. I never bought or personally owned a shotgun. (I am NOT knocking people who choose to do this. I am speaking for myself.)

I think that if a person has not completed a GUN PROJECT (Or any other project not gun related.) or used/shot a firearm in X amount of time.... it is time to say bye bye to it. PASS it on or finish the job.

Disclaimer: I do not know jack squat about some of the gun projects that a bunch of you talk about for rifles and some other guns. Some of it - I do understand because I asked my husband about it in the past.

SELL IT - receive the money.

Gift it.

Sell it for less money and consider the time that you had 'said gun' a rental for the time that you used it a LOT and often or even if you did not use it that much or often but it was a 'house gun' - insurance for your safety and for your loved ones.

SELL IT as a stand alone sale OR sell it and get a full in store credit to buy something else that you may use more OR if your tastes have changed or if you want to try out something else that is different or if your physical disability and/or age makes some firearms easier for you to shoot.

(I am not talking about some people who buy/own/store SAFE QUEEN firearms because it is some SUPER duper collector item that they think may bring in tons of money in as an investment down the road or when they retire. Some people ARE into those deals and it may or may NOT work out well for them money wise. It depends on the market and many other things for said item.)

When my MT husband changed around ALL or 99% of his firearms as he aged and with one physical issue... he either got another firearm OR he used his FULL IN STORE CREDIT for some RF and a bit of CF ammunition, reloading supplies, a few books, a knife, some hunting gear, etc. I did the same thing when I sold many of my firearms. Only I did not BUY exactly what my husband bought with the full in store credit. And I gave him MY full in store credit sometimes as a GIFT too.

BOTH of us sold firearms outright too.

We did not sell them because we needed the money even though some people may have to do that. A lot of people think that if a person is selling ANY ITEM in life it is because they need the cash but that is NOT ALWAYS THE CASE!

Building a smaller home is a choice that some of us made/make after a spouse's death and not having any children or other family living or even close by, moving across the country or within the same area, retirement, professional moves due to a job change, downsizing/consolidation to make it easier to reload IF they even reload or to buy factory ammunition, LESS TO CARE for in life with all things in your life when it comes to STUFF, travel, military moving time for some people - overseas or stateside, STORAGE in your home, garage or barn, being more organized, rotating your stock, simplification in caring for all of the STUFF in your home, etc.

There are tons of reasons why people sell and gift things in their life. And when it comes down to it - STUFF is just STUFF!

We sold and gifted many things over the years and not only some guns or knives.

I did this back east with my late husband a lot too. We were downsizing somewhat over our entire lifetime of married life even before his cancer discovery even though we were self made people, started out with only a few things STUFF WISE, built the home, had very nice things and enjoyed ALL of it and planning for our future retirement which never happened for HIM.

Stuff is just stuff and I am a USE IT or lose it type of lady.

I have NEVER EVER regretted selling or gifting any item or object or THING in my 71 years on earth. I never had a 'bad gun' OR issues like some people talk about on forums. NO kidding!

I ENJOYED shooting, using, reading and looking at every single item when I owned them too. GUNS to many books to clocks to knives to beautiful household items to you name it!

Did you get part of your gun room items grouped together in piles or on shelves or wherever yet? I bet that it will shock you on what you have if you have not spread it all out yet.

My MT husband was somewhat shocked but not totally when we SPREAD out his and her items out on the clean oak floors in GROUPS of like items, brands, types and calibers when we downsized some more.

I do not reload, I never did reload and have no plans in doing that but HE has reloaded since the early 70's.

His stock was fresh not old and kept/stored properly and it was CLEAN. When he went to LESS calibers - he just zoomed through ALL of his stuff for sales and gifts.

There are many regular and professional people in the GUN world who really want and need supplies when it comes to some specific items, all kinds of RF, CF and shotgun factory ammunition and reloading supplies. Guns are still being bought too.

I wish you well. If I lived near you and if you wanted/needed my help - I would help you organize and help you with some of your sales or gifts too.

Take care.

Blessings to you and your wife.

Sincerely,

Cate

Last Edited:
PS:

I am sure that some forum members, here or on other forums, and professional reloaders in the business (Licensed people.) would offer you good money for some of your supplies and you would NOT lose money selling some of your STOCK on hand.

You would get what you paid for the items if not more - a little bit more for your STOCK.

Guns and other parts?

You might be able to get what you paid for the gun or a little bit less or more depending on the BUYER and if it is an individual sale or someone in business that may take it on consignment with YOU naming the price or using some other price method for the sale.

Sell outright - split the cost of those FEES with the FFL dealer.

Cate

Bad @arakboss, bad!
Discipline, man!

Pssst, got a gun I can sell you, real cheap!

Take your lashes and move on...
good-friday-self-flagellation-and-crucifixion-in-the-philippines.jpg
Think of the chitlin's!
pigs-trough.jpg

Wish it was that easy. It would be same thing as telling a drug user to quit until he has honest money to spend on his habit. I'm addicted to the purchase.
That is me and my prepping spending. Spent $275 at Costco yesterday, most of it on shelf stable food that I don't need. Good thing is if I run out of $ I can just eat the food and not feel guilty about it - at least with regards to finances.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top