JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Since the boardware offers only limited poll options, I thought I'd try a workaround for rating various mag manufacturers to build a quick community consensus and educate the rookies like me. I'm assuming we're sticking to the standard 30-rounders here...

Simple approach: For each mag you've had a positive experience with, post them and "+1." Negative experience gets a "-1." Let's just keep it simple, a clean thread with just ratings and Q&A. :) I'll manually update this post to keep score, just like I did when keeping the Good/Bad Trade List on a WWII miniature collectors' board years ago.

For example, if you wanted to report a Pmag G2 w/Window positively and a Thermold negatively:
--Pmag G2 Window +1
--Thermold -1

I'll post scores in a "+/Net/-" format, for example:
+3/+2/-1 "Kickass Mags"
+1/-2/-3 "Brand Turd"

If you see something particular I've missed that you think should be added whether good/bad/ugly, please toss in a mention and I'll add 'em. (I'm reluctant to just say "GI" because there've been so many suppliers over the years and some have been mixed bags reliability wise.)

By Brand, as of midnight 8/30:
Amend2
+1/+1/-0 Blackhawk stainless
Brownells GI
+2/+2/-0 D&H GI
ETS no-couplers
ETS w/couplers
+1/-1/-2 Hexmag
+2/+2/-0 Lancer
+6/+6/-0 Magpul G2 no-window
+4/+4/-0 all other Magpul
Okay Surefeed
+1/+1/-0 Rhino
+1/+1/-0 Surefire
+0/-1/-1 Tapco
+1/+0/-1 Thermold
+0/-1/-1 Troy Battlemag

By Score:
pending data

Last Edited:
Thanks for starting the party, amigo--I'll collect data at the end of each day and update the OP the next morning except Wednesdays. (Wednesday, it has to wait until my column for RedState's ready. Older commitments come first, ya know... :) )

In order of best to worst from what I have owned.

DH GI aluminums - Best and most reliable, none have broken.
Magpul anythings - Used the most, but have had one break.
Hexmags - Cracked mags due to storing rounds for less than a month.
Surefire (60) - Kept getting stuck would not feed. Returned the 2 I bought.

Mostly own and use Magpuls. They get used the most out at the range.

I use what's proven and have not went beyond these two.
GI issue +3
Magpul G2 w/o window +2

I use them both about the same.
Always fully loaded less 1

Last Edited:
Can you really judge a magazine without judging the gun?

Should Receiver maker and gun type be included? I have owned AR's that would not take certain polymer mags without modification. But they worked fine in my Colt AR?

And I also own many guns that take AR mags but are not AR's. With different style internal controls that interacted differently to AR mags than an AR.
^^thats a good point

I was originally going to ask for multiple-sample reports, like three of the same mag on same guns, or same individual mag in three different guns, but figured letting you guys figure out each for yourselves how best to describe aggregated experiences would be best.

Do I need to change to a five-point scale? If so it'd be like "5 = would pay full MSRP for, 4 = would buy again but had some bugs, 3 = ambivalent, 2 = some good points but more bad than good, 1 = Couldn't PAY Me To Take 'Em."

The worst I've had was DH mags which had some coating on them. Seems the coating 'ran' on the inside of the mag and the follower would catch on the run and stop following the rounds up and cause failure to feed. I sent back the whole lot and never looked at DH again.

With the multiple generations of MagPul, why are they continuing to upgrade? I have a few but honestly have never ran them. They're for trading when panics arrive.

I personally like the Okay and Colt mags. I have a few Lancer as I like the clear mags to see instantly how many rounds I have while running in PR matches. I have a bunch of other manufactures that were once mil. suppliers and they all run well but I've never really took the time to detail which manufactures they were.

My scale:
0 = doesn't work or not worth the hassle
+1 = OK for range use and other situations where my life is not on the line
+2 = OK for tactical use where opponents are not likely trained and probably outnumbered
+3 = OK for combat use where opponents will be trained and may have a numerical advantage

My experience/confidence level:
GI mag w/ anti-tilt follower = +3
MagPul Gen 2 = +2
Troy Battle Mag = acquired in trade, but have not used. Will likely be +2.

With the multiple generations of MagPul, why are they continuing to upgrade?

The different gens are mostly to provide compatibility with other 5.56 NATO platforms as many have slightly different mag well dimensions. Gen 3 was I believe to provide proper compatibility with the SCAR. All GI mags work in all 5.56 NATO platforms - it's the standard they use during design.

I can't follow the "points" system everyone is using or just making up.
But I like GI mags with Anti-tilt followers. PMags are ok and I have plenty but they don't drop free reliably. They feed/function just fine.

Kruejl, everybody's just declaring their own as they go... as I collect data I'm interpreting it into "Positive/Neutral/Negative" as best I can. If y'all would like I'd be happy to puke up a GoogleDoc spreadsheet so you can check my work. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top