Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Rare S&W 581: Pre-Dash, Pre-M

Discussion in 'Handgun Classifieds' started by Ginocide, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Ginocide

Ginocide Oregon Member

This rare beauty was built just before semi-autos came to dethrone the revolver as the police duty pistol of choice throughout the US. This particular model is in it's completely original finish and format save for the Pachmayr grip it's wearing. Those of you familiar with Smith and Wessons know that their pre-dash models can be difficult to find and will only become more difficult over time. Those of you very familiar with the history of S&Ws also know that this model and a few others had an M modification they made early on in their design and that a pre-m is virtually impossible to find.
    small1.jpg
    small2.jpg
    small3.jpg
    small4.jpg
    It's pretty easy to find a pre-dash in 85% condition that goes for near $500. This item is probably about a 95% and is not only a pre-dash but a pre-m and still has a bright shining bore with sharp rifling. For the right deal I will throw in several speed loaders as well as some .38 special ammo, and maybe some other stuff I could rustle up. I'm trading this since I feel like it's more valuable to a collector where as I am simply an enthusiast.

I'm looking to trade this, face-to-face in Oregon, for guns or gun stuff. For those interested in straight purchases price is now $700. Please feel free to contact me with offers.

I'm a newbie and this is only my second post so please exercise patience if I have trouble with my lack of familiarity with this site. I do my best to be reasonable and cordial and request you do the same.

small1.jpg

small2.jpg

small3.jpg

small4.jpg

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  2. Robinett_11B

Robinett_11B Everett, WA Member

Being "Pre-M" doesn't make this gun any more desirable. All that stamp signifies is that the gun was sent back to S&W to fix a potential misfire/hangup issue. It's also not rare.

pdx210, aksu747, fry and 7 others like this.
  3. Ginocide

Ginocide Oregon Member

I request that all persons interested in this item read the forum rules (namely section 14.1) and abide by them as I have striven to do.

I also invite anyone to do their own research and contact me with any questions. It's no "Registered Magnum," but I assure you that you won't find many of these.

Interested in trades of any kind and straight purchases.

4. PuddleMonkey

PuddleMonkey Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

if you have read the rules then you'd know in order to have the WTS tag you need to put a price on it. 2wrhpg6.jpg

don't worry, we were all new once.

aksu747 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

Production of the L frame 581 started in 1980, it ended in 1988.

It's a 586 with fixed sights.

6. unklekippy

unklekippy In The Mountains Near Sprague River Well-Known Member

Production ended in '92. Production of the nickel model ended in '88. Still, nice gun. What cash value do you put on it? Kip.

7. Dazed

Dazed Coos County Member

:huh:

8. Dazed

Dazed Coos County Member

What are you asking for it cash wise? And where located?

9. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

What's your source for the 1992 date? The Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson lists discontinued in 1988.

10. Spiritof77

Spiritof77 Eugene, OR New Member

Another person here, interested in cash pricing.

11. Ginocide

Ginocide Oregon Member

My dream price is 750 but it is really or best offer. This will include some ammunition, speed loaders, and one competition speed loader.

12. Ginocide

Ginocide Oregon Member

Item is still available, now $700 in cash pricing. Still primarily interested in trading for guns, accessories, ammo, etc.

13. motoman98

motoman98 Gresham, OR Active Member

ss

14. Ginocide

Ginocide Oregon Member

All PMs responded to but no deals yet, generated some interest at the gun show but had to leave early. Looking for trades of a

Good luck finding one of these anywhere else!

15. BEN LILLY

BEN LILLY Lincoln City, OR NRA LIFE MEMBER Bronze Supporter

Bri, abd we'll work a trade.ng it over to Lincoln City

16. Ginocide

Ginocide Oregon Member

Weekend bump. Few more inquiries but nothing is decided yet!

17. Ginocide

Ginocide Oregon Member

Last price drop for thanksgiving. Now $650, buyers dropped out. Don't think I'll be going any lower.