JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know the great people of this sight can help me with this.

I've looked and looked through web pages for anything close to a value on this pistol. There are some previously sold LAR mark 1's on gun broker from the $1900 to $2500 range. None of them are stainless or engraved.

LAR mark 1
45 Winchester Magnum

There were about 1000 produced per year for 15 years total. 1982-1998 The serial number is A000598. I know the "A" is for Mark 1, and I only assume it's a first-year production.

This pistol appears to be engraved by Keith Smith. Well it says that on the side.

The assembly by Browns Guncraft on the other side I only assume is the compensator. Jerry "Lee" Brown (Browns Guncraft) passed away in 2004 I believe. He was known for compensators etc.

Any information would be great.
Thanks in advance.

IMG_3396.jpg IMG_3397.jpg

Being an engraved and customized version of a limited-production niche weapon, it is difficult to attach a value to it. If the seller is asking a ridiculously low price, then add half or even double it to at least equal the sales prices on the web. If a very high price, then the special features must appeal to you for you to remain interested in it. Others are out there, and they do appear for sale from time to time. Like buying a car, you do not want to get caught up in the excitement of the moment. Will you shoot it or collect it? Shooting requires handloading. If it is unfired, shooting it will drop the value considerably to others who might later be interested in it.

Try a magnet on it, it is possibly hard chrome, a popular finish at the time. I have seen and examined a few of these back in the 90's this one is truly unique. If you have provenance that traces its history of ownership it would add to the value. I could see this going to auction with a start at 4-5 thousand and selling between 7500 and 10000 dollars.

Tip: put it next to a known stainless gun, if the stainless gun looks almost yellow in comparison, it's hard chrome.
Tip: there is ammo out there for these, it's over 2 bucks a round though.

Last Edited:
The only caveat is that some stainless is mildly magnetic, and some not at all. Chrome has almost a tinge of blue in its coloration and nickel a hint of eggshell. Stainless is, well, stainless.

There is seemingly a lot of money chasing things for sale. Dunno if its fear of the end of the world, fools and their money, collectivitis, or whatever...

Chrome or stainless, would either drastically reduce the price of the pistol? I would assume the chrome just because of the plating. There are no signs of flaking or peeling.

Thirty plus years ago I shot one of these. Not fancy like the one in the picture. Kicked the empty case the length of my pickup. I still have it.
Recoil wasn't that bad. The guy that owned it is long dead and I have no idea where the gun went.

Chrome or stainless, would either drastically reduce the price of the pistol? I would assume the chrome just because of the plating. There are no signs of flaking or peeling.
You are under a mistaken impression,industrial hard chrome is perhaps the most durable finish available. It bonds directly to the steel on a molecular level, has natural lubricity.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top