JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Heck, I had to pull up the video online. Every. Single. Time. I finally bought that bushing from Tandemkross. It seemed like it really helped immensely the first time after installing it. Then the next time, not so much - back to the video. I have an MKIV now, so the MKIII rarely gets shot. And when I do, I usually just clean it without disassembly. The MKIV beats any other .22 pistol I own as far as ease of takedown, and there is no close second.
I tried a tandemkross part to put a spring on the slide release so I could slingshot the bolt. It required a lot of fitting, so I gave up. My VQ parts have all been great. I have the VQ bushing.

I tried a tandemkross part to put a spring on the slide release so I could slingshot the bolt. It required a lot of fitting, so I gave up. My VQ parts have all been great. I have the VQ bushing.
NOW you tell me. :s0092:

:s0108:

It was probably my fault. I didn't have that much trouble installing the part, and it did seem to work. I've generally been happy with the stuff I've gotten from Tandemkross, although it ain't cheap. I just didn't use the gun often enough and my memory didn't cling to the right information on proper reassembly. It's just so much easier to use the MKIV. My MKIII is a 22/45 and the MKIV is a 22/45 Lite, so not that much difference. I won the MKIV at a Friends of NRA banquet. Otherwise, I would have stuck with the MKIII and probably developed the skills needed to take it apart and put it back together. Since I only take it out once or twice a year, well, like I said, my memory sucks.

I stripped this one down a little to clean it up some, what a pain to get apart and reassemble. I think I built my AR quicker from parts.

Does look like it's a markII from doing some more digging, it seems to have all the papers minus a manual and even has the 1 spent case in an envelope

NOW you tell me. :s0092:

:s0108:

It was probably my fault. I didn't have that much trouble installing the part, and it did seem to work. I've generally been happy with the stuff I've gotten from Tandemkross, although it ain't cheap. I just didn't use the gun often enough and my memory didn't cling to the right information on proper reassembly. It's just so much easier to use the MKIV. My MKIII is a 22/45 and the MKIV is a 22/45 Lite, so not that much difference. I won the MKIV at a Friends of NRA banquet. Otherwise, I would have stuck with the MKIII and probably developed the skills needed to take it apart and put it back together. Since I only take it out once or twice a year, well, like I said, my memory sucks.
The BIG problem I had with my MKIII was the damn frame being polymer. It allowed just enough "give" that it allowed it to be bricked if you got it wrong. Once some nice gal at Ruger walked me through how to un brick it I knew but it was still a PITA.

You can pick up a plug and play Tactical Solutions upper for $200 and convert back to the original cinfig . I did that with my grandpops Ruger standard just did not like the idea of ruining it .
View attachment 1752258
The original Mk1 Grips are the thing that is pretty much irreplaceable on the old Mk1's. I would cry if I droped cracked broke one . But I still thinking about doing what you saying on the TacSol upper .
An integrated suppressed Amphib. build, on old Mk1, by AWC, that would be The $hit to Git .Would luv to get one.

-
- Mk1.jpg

The BIG problem I had with my MKIII was the damn frame being polymer. It allowed just enough "give" that it allowed it to be bricked if you got it wrong. Once some nice gal at Ruger walked me through how to un brick it I knew but it was still a PITA.
I never bricked one, but there were times it took me many attempts before I got it put back together. It seems like there was a thread a couple of years back on this forum and a couple of guys said they were basically the "go-to" guys for all their friends to unbrick their Ruger pistols for them. Practice makes perfect.

I've never even handled an MKII. My college roommate had one of the original Ruger Standard. I shot it a few times over the years, and had one nervous encounter with a cop who pulled him over for speeding on I-5. It was laying on the pickup bench seat between us and I had tossed my sweatshirt partially over it. The cop noticed it and was really pretty cool about the whole thing. He did ask if he could maybe hang onto it while he wrote out the ticket. When he gave it back, he told us we may want to pull over up the road a ways and pull the live round out of the barrel because it was corroded in place. :eek: I guess it shouldn't have surprised me a couple of years later when I loaned my Remington .30-06 to my buddy and he returned it with a nice rust orange color shining out of the end of the barrel. :(

The original Mk1 Grips are the thing that is pretty much irreplaceable on the old Mk1's. I would cry if I droped cracked broke one . But I still thinking about doing what you saying on the TacSol upper .
An integrated suppressed Amphib. build, on old Mk1, by AWC, that would be The $hit to Git .Would luv to get one.

-
-View attachment 1812867
The "original" original grips (on the Ruger Standard) had a red "Eagle" (or Hawk) on the medallion. When Alexander Sturm (Ruger's partner) passed away, Bill Ruger switched the Eagle color to black.

Threading the barrel for a comp? I have a brake that you remove the front sight and screw it into place with front sight hole.

Here is a nice pre mark 1. Still Dead nuts accurate.

View attachment 1383394

-
-View attachment 1812867
A little clarity here.
The guns shown are Ruger Standards. I suppose saying "Pre-MKI" is somewhat correct, but only if the gun was made in 49-51. The MKI Target came out in 1952 and the MKI designation is only applicable to the Target, which had adjustable sights and a heavier barrel than the Standard shown in the second picture above.

Back to the OP, I'd leave that short slabside alone. A different upper could be purchased if a suppressor or brake is wanted.

I'm a little partial to the old Rugers. I've been shooting the one on the right for almost 55 years. It's the first handgun I ever shot. It was Grandpa's "cheap" replacement for the Woodsman he'd had to sell years before. I added the wood grips and the original ones are safely tucked away.

Pair of em 2.jpg

I never bricked one, but there were times it took me many attempts before I got it put back together. It seems like there was a thread a couple of years back on this forum and a couple of guys said they were basically the "go-to" guys for all their friends to unbrick their Ruger pistols for them. Practice makes perfect.

I've never even handled an MKII. My college roommate had one of the original Ruger Standard. I shot it a few times over the years, and had one nervous encounter with a cop who pulled him over for speeding on I-5. It was laying on the pickup bench seat between us and I had tossed my sweatshirt partially over it. The cop noticed it and was really pretty cool about the whole thing. He did ask if he could maybe hang onto it while he wrote out the ticket. When he gave it back, he told us we may want to pull over up the road a ways and pull the live round out of the barrel because it was corroded in place. :eek: I guess it shouldn't have surprised me a couple of years later when I loaned my Remington .30-06 to my buddy and he returned it with a nice rust orange color shining out of the end of the barrel. :(
I have a MKII 22/45 I got not long after they hit. That one if you don't get the hammer spur correct it just will not work until you try again because the frame is metal. On the MKIII 22/45 the frame is polymer so it has just enough give that if you got that spur in the wrong place the entire gun was now locked. I thought I was going to have to send it back to Ruger as a Smith at the shop could not fix it. So I bought a MKIV then when I called Ruger to see about an RMA to send it back they put me on with a gal who walked me through the fix. I am sure she spent a LOT of time explaining this to other owners :s0140:

A little clarity here.
The guns shown are Ruger Standards. I suppose saying "Pre-MKI" is somewhat correct, but only if the gun was made in 49-51. The MKI Target came out in 1952 and the MKI designation is only applicable to the Target, which had adjustable sights and a heavier barrel than the Standard shown in the second picture above.

Back to the OP, I'd leave that short slabside alone. A different upper could be purchased if a suppressor or brake is wanted.

I'm a little partial to the old Rugers. I've been shooting the one on the right for almost 55 years. It's the first handgun I ever shot. It was Grandpa's "cheap" replacement for the Woodsman he'd had to sell years before. I added the wood grips and the original ones are safely tucked away.

View attachment 1812941
I never owned one that old. like 40's-50's . the one I have in Pic. is a only a 1961 .
Thanks ... I always thought that it was just classified as just a standard mk1 Mdl. . ( pre 80's production ) with no adjustable sight /so no target Mdl.
Did not know that Mk1 was only to apply to target mdl.

I never owned one that old. like 40's-50's . the one I have in Pic. is a only a 1961 .
Thanks ... I always thought that it was just classified as just a standard mk1 Mdl. . ( pre 80's production ) with no adjustable sight /so no target Mdl.
Did not know that Mk1 was only to apply to target mdl.
Yep. And there's nothing to be ashamed about having a Standard. They are fantastic handguns. The one I've been shooting for all of these years is very accurate. I've owned other 22 pistols and they didn't stick around cuz they didn't shoot anything like the Ruger. The other one I've only shot a little, but it gives every reason to believe it is a twin to "mine".

I do have a faint longing for a MKI Target, just because.

I thread 3-5 rugers a week.

The good thing about early early Rugers is they can be converted to slide lock easily and the receivers are a full 1 inch diameter which mates up with 1" tubes perfectly. Later Rugers went down to a .994" diameter receiver for some unknown reason.

jGhQMR.jpg