JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Itemization may be handy for those who are unfamiliar with a certain firearm
Example :

Right now I have a muzzle loading rifle for sale...and not to many folks here are interested enough in them to understand my original asking price.
So when I dropped the price...I made mention that if one bought just the parts of the rifle...that would cost more than , what I am now asking for my assembled and ready to fire rifle.

While reading a classified ad...it may be best to just to read and accept the ad for what it is...
As in someone is trying to sell or trade something....and not what you think it is.
Andy

Example :

Right now I have a muzzle loading rifle for sale...and not to many folks here are interested enough in them to understand my original asking price.
So when I dropped the price...I made mention that if one bought just the parts of the rifle...that would cost more than , what I am now asking for my assembled and ready to fire rifle.

While reading a classified ad...it may be best to just to read and accept the ad for what it is...
As in someone is trying to sell or trade something....and not what you think it is.
Andy
What are you selling?

I went to bed and almost forgot about this post but .... com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2014%2f03%2fits-alive.jpg

Example :

Andy
Right. A major reason seller might itemize or give extra info is to help buyers understand the asking price instead of thinking it is outrageous because they don't know enough or are misunderstanding something. For example sellers of pre-lock SW revolvers usually explicitly mention the gun is pre-lock, even though that is obvious from photos. Just an added hint that there is a reason why the asking price is higher than for brand new guns that seem equivalent. A SW 629-4 .44 mag revolver in excellent condition, for example is generally valued higher than a new current model brand new 629 or anything 629-5 or later because on the 629-5s and later SW switched to cheaper MIM metal on several parts and took much less care with fit or finish. And by 629-6 they moved the firing pin and added the lock, a serious redesign and the addition of something at the least unnecessary and to many of us a serious impediment as its hard to shoot enjoyably and well while vomiting or wetting ourselves because of seeing the lock.

Right. A major reason seller might itemize or give extra info is to help buyers understand the asking price instead of thinking it is outrageous because they don't know enough or are misunderstanding something. For example sellers of pre-lock SW revolvers usually explicitly mention the gun is pre-lock, even though that is obvious from photos. Just an added hint that there is a reason why the asking price is higher than for brand new guns that seem equivalent. A SW 629-4 .44 mag revolver in excellent condition, for example is generally valued higher than a new current model brand new 629 or anything 629-5 or later because on the 629-5s and later SW switched to cheaper MIM metal on several parts and took much less care with fit or finish. And by 629-6 they moved the firing pin and added the lock, a serious redesign and the addition of something at the least unnecessary and to many of us a serious impediment as its hard to shoot enjoyably and well while vomiting or wetting ourselves because of seeing the lock.
OTOH - there are ads with minimal info. One day I expect to see a for sale ad for ammo with no mention of caliber or anything else - if it hasn't happened already. I regularly see ammo ads (IIRC) with no mention of brand, much less the type of projectile (it makes a difference to me whether it is FMJ or JHP), much less the weight of the projectile.

Then there are gun ads where no mention is made of the barrel length, whether it is stainless or not, etc.

I don't mind info like that, but as I said, I don't care how much someone paid for the item(s) - they might have paid $1 per round for FMJ 9mm, but that is not what I am going to pay (I am going to wait until 9mm FMJ gets back down to 20 cents or less per round).

Before ranting about the classified section. Maybe try doing a deal or two with other members. @Sweep1308
I see you are all 0/0/0.
Nothing gained. Nothing lost.
Try posting your sh!t for sale for a couple years. Get burned, or make some good friends, by meeting up in person.
Sometimes you get a score. Sometimes you lose a few bucks. It should even out in the end.
I have done multiple deals here. Unsure how the feedback system works, but apparently it's not all encompassing. Firearms, non firearms, reloading. I was merely expressing an opinion of what made this a less desirable place to purchase a firearm. Apparently I'm the only one.

Honestly The ad section is entertaining on so many levels. Waiting for an ad like this

Selling my 40 SW hi point. I think it is made by Smith and Wesson because it says SW (I actually heard this at a gun show)
I know what I have and what it is worth
I am only asking for what I have in it
$600 ( that is what I paid at the pawn shop) plus what I paid for the transfer $50 and sales tax $60
asking for $710

I have done multiple deals here. Unsure how the feedback system works, but apparently it's not all encompassing. Firearms, non firearms, reloading. I was merely expressing an opinion of what made this a less desirable place to purchase a firearm. Apparently I'm the only one.
We're just busting your chops. It's a free classifieds, sans feedback you're dealing with craigslist people regarding flakiness and whatnot. Honestly, I haven't even checked the classifieds in a long time. Other than checking to find new people to ignore and for a good laugh.

It isn't perfect, but some of that has been improved from what it used to be (e.g., UI to help users to provide more info).

But the issues with the seller going on about what he/she paid, etc., are human factor things that are up to the seller since the seller can pretty much say whatever they want. As others have said, if that bothers you (or anyone else), just move on or otherwise ignore it. You will find that kind of "info" on any classified ad platform. Deal with it.

FWIW - the crapping on a given for sale ad was a lot more annoying than the poor info in the original ad.

OTOH - some sellers don't like even informative posts on their ad, so I have stopped posting those (usually), but the rule against complaining about the price/etc., has cut down on a lot of crap and made the ads better.

@Sweep1308 When you jump on here and claim that second hand sellers are not entitled to a profit is the moment you lose me. Who are you to set the market? :rolleyes:
He didn't say sellers were not entitled to a profit. But let's spend another eight pages complaining about someone complaining. Let's beat the dead horse some more and get out the "you must not understand economics" line. Rather than acknowledging that there are some people who think that the $3,000 they spent on custom Glock parts means that others will be eager to pay $3500 for it. Or else it goes back in the safe.

And yes, this post of mine is complaining about you complaining about OP complaining.

@Sweep1308 When you jump on here and claim that second hand sellers are not entitled to a profit is the moment you lose me. Who are you to set the market? :rolleyes:
Didn't say that. Said MOST firearm investments aren't worth more used than new. Many do appreciate, especially older and rare items. Like baseball cards. The mass produced stuff doesn't appreciate, but the Uber rare ones hold and grow.

No amount of info I don't care about in an ad bothers me. What bugs me is when there is too little info in the ad for me to know whether I want the gun or not. Especially when OP posts and goes away and doesn't answer questions. If a 629 has a square grip frame the grip options are limited and none fit my hand. All 629 Classics and all 629 Mountain Guns have round grip frames. But standard models may be square or round. If frame back strap is exposed you may be able to tell from photos. But if grip is big and back strap is covered you usually can't tell. And it can be like pulling teeth to get OP to just take the grip off and look.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top