JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First off, this is my opinion, you're not obligated to agree.

Classifieds.

Why are people listing every dollar they spend on every accessory as a part of their listing? I get it's an free market and people have the right to charge what they want. But there are so bloody many accessories available out there, it's hard to imagine any two people would agree on the same perfect setup. Thus, i hate to break it to you, a good portion of your aftermarket accessories will be removed and replaced. Also, if you insist on listing these items and their prices in addition to the base price of the gun, why am I not being credited the purchase cost of the original equipment?

Bottom line, your math is flawed and over pricing items because of aftermarket accessories is killing the cost vs benefit of a second hand market. I'll keep buying new over these prices 9/10 times. The real value here are older, out of production and collectable items. Not sure when profiteering became more important than community, but some of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

For those of you butt hurt about my truth, take this into account: many upgrades you do to your home don't actually increase the value. Especially cosmetic upgrades. Fancy dishwasher? No value change. Top of the line heat pump? No value change. These items just increase the desirability of your item vs another item, and may lead to a quicker sale. The investment is unchanged.

honestly who cares. If they want to sell for more than you can buy at a gun store or new online, let them. I just watch their ad as they never sell their item.

But don't like it when the butt hurt seller who cannot sell it for their ridiculous price say ad withdrawn if not sold by weekend or something similar.

also find it funny when they want to add the price of the transfer to price of the gun. lol

The idea is to have a thriving community. I also find satisfaction in that, but so many new people are following suit and I feel it will be detrimental overall. I've made deals with a few here, and they've been wonderful. I don't want to see that ruined.

But is ignoring it and allowing it to ruin the community the right thing to do? Portland is a great case study against that particular approach.

The idea is to have a thriving community. I also find satisfaction in that, but so many new people are following suit and I feel it will be detrimental overall. I've made deals with a few here, and they've been wonderful. I don't want to see that ruined.

Suggest switching to decaf.
But is ignoring it and allowing it to ruin the community the right thing to do? Portland is a great case study against that particular approach.

Actually, I suggest moving to a paid subscription as a supporting member before you complain about the place, otherwise chalk it up to getting what you paid for.

Portland has an even longer case study against that particular approach, too.

Wow. So we're separating it between the have and the have not? Perhaps I was wrong about this community as a whole. And with that attitude from a paid member, why would anyone pay?

First off, this is my opinion, you're not obligated to agree.

Classifieds.

Why are people listing every dollar they spend on every accessory as a part of their listing? I get it's an free market and people have the right to charge what they want. But there are so bloody many accessories available out there, it's hard to imagine any two people would agree on the same perfect setup. Thus, i hate to break it to you, a good portion of your aftermarket accessories will be removed and replaced. Also, if you insist on listing these items and their prices in addition to the base price of the gun, why am I not being credited the purchase cost of the original equipment?

Bottom line, your math is flawed and over pricing items because of aftermarket accessories is killing the cost vs benefit of a second hand market. I'll keep buying new over these prices 9/10 times. The real value here are older, out of production and collectable items. Not sure when profiteering became more important than community, but some of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

For those of you butt hurt about my truth, take this into account: many upgrades you do to your home don't actually increase the value. Especially cosmetic upgrades. Fancy dishwasher? No value change. Top of the line heat pump? No value change. These items just increase the desirability of your item vs another item, and may lead to a quicker sale. The investment is unchanged.
I can see the additional cost for highlighting the letters in crayon though

But is ignoring it and allowing it to ruin the community the right thing to do?
Poor ads (not enough info is my biggest complaint) with or without poor pricing/etc. is not going to ruin the "community". I see more good ads than poor ones.

My fave peeve about ads is when somebody asks 30% over market price for something, but I just shrug and move on. If the buyer can't be bothered to check what the going price is, then that is their problem. Ditto with the accessories.

I do agree that it is kind of silly to list what they paid for something, the prices being so variable at any given time or from one moment to the next. Moreover, I really don't care what you paid for it - not going to guilt me into paying more just because you paid too much or the price dropped since you bought it.

It sucks, but there it is - I've been caught out a few times myself; sold a rifle for $500 less (IIRC) than what I paid for it ($3K) because it would not sell otherwise (had it for sale here for years) and I wanted to sell it.

All that said, people are people and there are sellers who will continue doing these things no matter what someone says or feels. Move on.

Before worrying about any aspect of pricing, first try to begin a discussion with the seller. You'd be surprised at how many so-called active FS ads are like "unattended drift nets", abandoned long ago by hit & run sellers who made their deal and disappeared without bothering to close their FS ad.

If, by some small miracle, you happen to catch a seller's attention, then that's the time to directly discuss specific pricing questions and/or issues with the one and only person who can address them.

Last Edited:
Wow. So we're separating it between the have and the have not? Perhaps I was wrong about this community as a whole. And with that attitude from a paid member, why would anyone pay?
I think he's more hinting at the point that you are in a free forum. Free to you if you choose not to assist with the costs associated with running this fine website. The reality is that this website costs money, and the bulk of it comes from those that are subscribers.

Most of the price gouging comes from one and done individuals looking for a fast profit. I think at this point, most of the new members from 2020 and beyond are in my ignore list.

But it really comes down to, "if you don't like the price, move along". In really doesn't impact you in the slightest to ignore those that are looking to profit on things. I'm general, those with the poor pricing don't tend to participate in our fine discussions on guns.

Can't disagree with your first post Re all the little cool accessories that THE SELLER WANTED, but buyer doesn't. But ruin The Community? Nah. Look at it like this. Your walking down the street, on the sidewalk. Look there! Right in front of you, right in the middle, is a big ol' terd. What do you do? You step over, or around it. Right? Do the same with those kinds of ads. It'd be dumb to step in it once you saw it, and then complain about it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top