JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I need it. I've read up and Ive shot at the range and made notes as a shot, but I'm still not comfortable. I would really like to train with someone to get more hands on with different types of scopes, reticles, and measurements. I cant seam to completely wrap my brain around all of it. One problem I'm having is the shooting range is a fixed distance which doesn't help me train. Are there classes around that focus on this or am I stuck with the internet?

A separate question; I was thinking, rather than using a formula to find the range of a target, lets say a 6' tall man, while using a NON ffp reticle, If the target can be ranged simple by using the magnification? IE if for example, I turn the magnification until the target fits inside a given set of marks or dots, if when the target fits inside those dots, the magnification is at 10X then the target is at X distance, but if the target fits inside the same set of dots at 16X magnification, then the target is at Y distance. Comments on this?

You're suggestion works, but it's not optimal. You still need to know your target size for that to work, and if you know that you may as well run the math for ranging with an FFP scope. The advantage to that is your reticle is accurate for holds and movers once you're done ranging. In time you will learn shortcuts, and if you have to estimate on the fly, an FFP scope is going to help you just hold off anyway. Example: say I know off the top of my head that the average man is a half meter shoulder to shoulder, or one meter from belt to the top of the head. If I need to shoot quickly and I look through my scope and see that he fits in my reticle at 1 mil shoulder to shoulder, he's around 500 meters. My dope says 2.75 mils for 500m, and I guesstimate the wind as well. Hold 2.75 plus whatever wind and shoot. For field use, that's where you want to be. Dialing your corrections should be an option, not a necessity. With SFP you are dialing again.
As far as training on ranging, it's really just about learning to read the reticle precisely, and consistently. Remember the things that are going to change your perception of range; the nature of the target, the nature of the terrain, and the light conditions. Light conditions will really change things drastically.
Does that make sense?

I guess I just need opportunity to drill my corrections into my head so I don't have to go to the sheet.

Know of a place around Portland that a guy can work on multiple ranges? I'm sure there isn't a club, but maybe a good spot outdoors?

Not a direct answer to what you are asking but something that will help you.

Get a set of laser range finders and use them all the time in everyday situations. Look at something and guess how far, range, know for sure. You will get better.

I know when I got my first range finder I was shocked for sure at how off I was. I am much better now.

If you are stuck at a fixed range you might try getting some of the scaled down targets for 25yrd (like they use at Appleseed) then figure out what that would represent at 25,50,100 or what ever distances you have to work with. If you have a buddy who can randomly select the targets for you it would be that much better. This is not ideal but should work.

Not a direct answer to what you are asking but something that will help you.

Get a set of laser range finders and use them all the time in everyday situations. Look at something and guess how far, range, know for sure. You will get better.

I know when I got my first range finder I was shocked for sure at how off I was. I am much better now.

HA, I have one. Actually not a bad idea. Maybe I should carry a mildot scope around with me too. lol

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top