JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The three most popular premium JHP rounds. Which one looks like the best expansion? Reason I ask, I'm trying to consolidate and settle on one, sell the rest.

From left to right: Gold Dot, HST, Talon.

1602086738869.png

This UTuber has several decent videos showing 9MM JHP performance using ballistic gel (expansion and penetration).

(HST vs Gold Dot vs Critical Duty)

(part 4 of a series)

From what I have seen of the gel tests, the SXT/Talon designs have some variations. IIRC the HST does also - Tactical, Bonded, HST non-bonded?.

I tend towards the bonded in both the SXT and HST type projectiles. As I understand the design, they are better for penetration, including against hard barriers such as car doors and windshield glass.

I slightly prefer the SXT bullet designs over the HST as the SXT seems a better design for feeding, which was why I bought a case of the Black Talon years ago; IMO the rounded nose/HP is less likely to have feeding problems. That said, I have both HST and SXT in .40 S&W and they both function fine in my SIGs.

Barrel length, velocity, medium, design perimeters, caliber, plus considerations for multi denim layers and barrier penetration?

Look. Just do yourself a favor and go with Gold Dot 125gr .357 sig ammo at about 1375fps from a Glock 32.
Hey. It's a 9mm projectile.

Their. That was easy. :D

I run Gold Dot in all my CCW and home defense pistols. That would be 9mm, .40, and .38+p (short barrel load for my short S&W wheel gun).

As they say....one mans opinion....

I went HST mainly due to TPD and PPD testing. Barrier, penetration, windshield etc. I was impressed. Secondarily, if ever accused of using "killer bullets", my default answer would be: "it's what the local police use."
Unfortunately, that may no longer be A helpful response.....

When you test make sure you test in low light/no light. I've found one one your list that used flash suppressant. The others are good at making big fireballs.
If this isn't an issue for you then disregard.

When you test make sure you test in low light/no light. I've found one one your list that used flash suppressant. The others are good at making big fireballs.
This is a great point. I shot a box of my carry ammo during the night shoot at a class I attended to test this. Had others watch from the side as well to compare. No issues so good to go for this part.

I've been using Gold Dot's for a long time because NYPD does and they have great success with it. But with cases of HST, Talons, Gold Dot and then some, I'm really trying to consolidate and pick one. I use the gold dot now without fear, but before I sell whatever I sell I want to be sure I have the best.

I strongly prefer Winchester Ranger T's, and I can usually get them in 50 round boxes. Was $35 for a box of 50, keep a magazine loaded of it in every 9mm in the house. They also shoot well, made sure to shoot some out of my H&K VP70Z(cause it is a carry gun for me) and had no problems making accurate shots on clay pigeons mounted on the hillside at 25-30 yards.

I do like the pricing on Gold Dots in .45 GAP though, 50 rounds for $20 isn't bad same price as most brass case .45 GAP fmj.

Again it is hard to advise when we do not know the particulars. For instance I like 9mm gold dots in 124gr but the 147 9mm gd's do fairly poor with expansion and overpenetrate, so I choose hst's in a 147gr loading What are we talking about 9mm, 45 acp, .357? Also what barrel length? The devil is in the details.

I strongly prefer Winchester Ranger T's, and I can usually get them in 50 round boxes. Was $35 for a box of 50, keep a magazine loaded of it in every 9mm in the house. They also shoot well, made sure to shoot some out of my H&K VP70Z(cause it is a carry gun for me) and had no problems making accurate shots on clay pigeons mounted on the hillside at 25-30 yards.

I do like the pricing on Gold Dots in .45 GAP though, 50 rounds for $20 isn't bad same price as most brass case .45 GAP fmj.
Yea, you'd doubly want to test with that HK.. the deep rifling reduces muzzle velocity more than 100 fps.

I believe most of the premium self-defense loads by the major manufacturers use flash suppressant powders - I know Winchester has for decades, pretty sure Federal does too - at least in my experience they have.

muzzle-flash-comparison.jpg

I have one handgun that has a hybrid comp (holes in the top of the barrel) and while there is flame out the top, it does not interfere with my night vision - it seems mostly subdued and orange colored, but that is with defensive ammo.

I believe most of the premium self-defense loads by the major manufacturers use flash suppressant powders - I know Winchester has for decades, pretty sure Federal does too - at least in my experience they have.

View attachment 759466

I have one handgun that has a hybrid comp (holes in the top of the barrel) and while there is flame out the top, it does not interfere with my night vision - it seems mostly subdued and orange colored, but that is with defensive ammo.

Again it is hard to advise when we do not know the particulars. For instance I like 9mm gold dots in 124gr but the 147 9mm gd's do fairly poor with expansion and overpenetrate, so I choose hst's in a 147gr loading What are we talking about 9mm, 45 acp, .357? Also what barrel length? The devil is in the details.

The caliber is in the thread title...

124gr +P gold dots, 147gr Ranger Talons OR 127gr +P+ Talons, 147gr HST, 3.5 to 4" barrel performance.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top