JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've run across versions of this a couple of times in the last month. The rule is either (1) you can't rent one of their firearms if you are alone, or (2) If you are alone, you have to have brought your own weapon in order to rent one of theirs.

Neither of these make sense. I always have my own weapons and am unaffected, but, I wonder about what's behind the rule. I asked, politely, both times and got the "that's our policy" with a(n un)healthy dose of attitude. I completely respect their right to make the rules, I just wonder what that particular rule accomplishes.

Does anyone know, or, care to speculate?

I don't agree with the "if you are alone" -- but I completely understand the whole you must bring one to rent one.... they figure why would you rent a gun to kill yourself if you have one of your own.

Wades's in Bellevue, WA has that rule in effect. Too many mentally disturbed folks were renting pistols and then whacking themselves with them. They figure that is less likely to happen if you are with a group.

Well....Wade's has also had at least one murder behind a rented handgun, and an accidental discharge death as well. What I've always wondered is.........after those guns were returned from the evidence locker, were they sold for discount, or destroyed? I'd take a super discount on a body count weapon. Call me morbid, but at least you KNOW it functions properly.

WELL, that makes sense from a business standpoint, but it is annoying to regular range-goers. Personally I'd rather just let social darwinism run its course but maybe if I owned a range I would think differently (They have to deal with a crapload of bullturd legal junk whenever that happens I bet).

I think there was a guy in Florida that did this not too long ago.Went in the range and shot himself in the head. Apparently it's bad for business.

This is not an uncommon occurance.

If you want to rent at Wade's it's either bring your own or bring a friend. I shoot at Wade's and usually bring both my wife and our own gun. Plus by bringing my wife and going on ladies night, I get to play with all of their rental handguns for free!

At The Place To Shoot in Delta Park, they require the same things. Bring your own, then you can rent. Or come with a friend, then you can rent. Here is how they word it (plain writing):

If you come in alone you must bring your own gun.
This is purely a safety issue. If you walk in the door by yourself and you don't have a gun and you want to go out on the range by yourself and shoot our guns... Its just weird, don't ask why, we don’t like it, it just doesn't seem safe to us and we’ve had problems with it in the past. The easy way around this rule if you don’t own a gun, come in with a friend then you can rent our guns. Easy.

I think the way they word it is great. They don't really need a reason anyway. A public business can make any rule they want. If someone doesn't even have a friend they could bring, that says something right there.

I think if you are alone AND you bring a gun with you, you should be able to rent other guns because if you were looking to off yourself, you could have done it already with the gun you already brought.

Problem solved

the Place to Shoot had a woman commit suicide there several years ago as I recall,and that is when they put their rule in place,and others in the area followed suit.
that is how I remember it anyway.

Agreed on the suicide liability.
This is a policy that the range insurers likely force their clients to uphold - it acts to protect the business from lawsuits in cases where an individual might try to off themselves with a rented gun.
The gun ranges are just covering their asses- can't say that I blame them.
J

I have a friend who owns two ranges on the east coast. His advice to anyone planning on setting up an indoor range. Include floor drains allowing it to be hosed and mopped.
He's had to people whack themselves so far.

It's a very intelligent rule.

If you already own a gun, You would have shot yourself already.

If you have a friend with you...

It's not perfect (see the recent mother/son muder/suicide in a range) but if you are socializing with other people, it's at least less likely that you're of a mindset to kill yourself.

~~

Just occurred to me, The prerequisite ownership of a gun for individuals at a range would also serve as a deterrent to an unarmed someone coming off the street, renting a gun and shooting the desk person to steal the armory.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top