Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Range Rule: Can't Rent If You Are Alone?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by rodell, Aug 29, 2010.

1. rodell

rodell Newcastle, WA Active Member

I've run across versions of this a couple of times in the last month. The rule is either (1) you can't rent one of their firearms if you are alone, or (2) If you are alone, you have to have brought your own weapon in order to rent one of theirs.

Neither of these make sense. I always have my own weapons and am unaffected, but, I wonder about what's behind the rule. I asked, politely, both times and got the "that's our policy" with a(n un)healthy dose of attitude. I completely respect their right to make the rules, I just wonder what that particular rule accomplishes.

Does anyone know, or, care to speculate?

2. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

One word, suicide....

3. timbernet

timbernet Boring, Oregon Member

I don't agree with the "if you are alone" -- but I completely understand the whole you must bring one to rent one.... they figure why would you rent a gun to kill yourself if you have one of your own.

4. pirateer2007

pirateer2007 Spokane Wa Member

nailed it :thumbup:

5. HalfNutz

HalfNutz Kirkland (Juanita) Member

Wades's in Bellevue, WA has that rule in effect. Too many mentally disturbed folks were renting pistols and then whacking themselves with them. They figure that is less likely to happen if you are with a group.

6. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

Wait...does that mean if I show up with a friend and he offs himself it's considered assisted suicide? Will I have any complicity in the event? Hmmmmm!

7. SleepynSeattle

SleepynSeattle Seattle Member

Well....Wade's has also had at least one murder behind a rented handgun, and an accidental discharge death as well. What I've always wondered is.........after those guns were returned from the evidence locker, were they sold for discount, or destroyed? I'd take a super discount on a body count weapon. Call me morbid, but at least you KNOW it functions properly.

8. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I think there was a guy in Florida that did this not too long ago.Went in the range and shot himself in the head. Apparently it's bad for business.

9. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

That is completely stupid.

10. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

WELL, that makes sense from a business standpoint, but it is annoying to regular range-goers. Personally I'd rather just let social darwinism run its course but maybe if I owned a range I would think differently (They have to deal with a crapload of bullturd legal junk whenever that happens I bet).

11. ak56

ak56 Carnation, Wa Active Member

This is not an uncommon occurance.

If you want to rent at Wade's it's either bring your own or bring a friend. I shoot at Wade's and usually bring both my wife and our own gun. Plus by bringing my wife and going on ladies night, I get to play with all of their rental handguns for free!

12. CHLChris

CHLChris Portland Metro East Love me some guns! Bronze Supporter

At The Place To Shoot in Delta Park, they require the same things. Bring your own, then you can rent. Or come with a friend, then you can rent. Here is how they word it (plain writing):

I think the way they word it is great. They don't really need a reason anyway. A public business can make any rule they want. If someone doesn't even have a friend they could bring, that says something right there.

13. Wenis

Wenis Tri-Cities, WA Member

I think if you are alone AND you bring a gun with you, you should be able to rent other guns because if you were looking to off yourself, you could have done it already with the gun you already brought.

Problem solved

14. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

the Place to Shoot had a woman commit suicide there several years ago as I recall,and that is when they put their rule in place,and others in the area followed suit.
    that is how I remember it anyway.

15. TANSTAAFL

TANSTAAFL Downtown Seattle Member

Saturday I went to the Kurt exhibit at the Seattle Art Museum--excellent exhibit!

This is the land of SAD..

16. PDXGS

PDXGS Aloha... yes, Aloha, Oregon Member

Agreed on the suicide liability.
    This is a policy that the range insurers likely force their clients to uphold - it acts to protect the business from lawsuits in cases where an individual might try to off themselves with a rented gun.
    The gun ranges are just covering their asses- can't say that I blame them.
    J

17. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Suicide, a long term solution to a short term problem

18. Tornado-Technologies

Tornado-Technologies Hillsboro Active Member

I have a friend who owns two ranges on the east coast. His advice to anyone planning on setting up an indoor range. Include floor drains allowing it to be hosed and mopped.
    He's had to people whack themselves so far.

19. Dnaltrop

Dnaltrop Portland, Oregon Member

It's a very intelligent rule.

If you already own a gun, You would have shot yourself already.

If you have a friend with you...

It's not perfect (see the recent mother/son muder/suicide in a range) but if you are socializing with other people, it's at least less likely that you're of a mindset to kill yourself.

~~

Just occurred to me, The prerequisite ownership of a gun for individuals at a range would also serve as a deterrent to an unarmed someone coming off the street, renting a gun and shooting the desk person to steal the armory.

20. rodell

rodell Newcastle, WA Active Member

Actually, it is a very short solution to a long term problem!