JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was looking on the Wade's guns rental website.

Saw at the top on the rentals page:
YOU MUST COME WITH YOUR OWN GUN OR WITH A FRIEND. SOLO SHOOTERS WILL NOT BE RENTED FIREARMS, UNLESS THEY OWN A FIREARM.

What is the reason for this policy? Just curious.

They don't want you to rent a firearm and commit suicide with it. People that bring their own firearm or go with a friend are not likely to shoot themselves.

Could be they had some bad experiences with mentally messed up walk-ins in their area...or just got sick and tired of supplying baby-sitters to keep newbies from scareing the poop outa the regulars.

I used Wade's range with friends a few months back. Nice enough guys at the range. Virtually all their firearms were WAY overpriced as was their ammo. It looked to me just because they were in Bellevue they want to charge a premium for guns. No thanks.

Brutus Out

I used Wade's range with friends a few months back. Nice enough guys at the range. Virtually all their firearms were WAY overpriced as was their ammo. It looked to me just because they were in Bellevue they want to charge a premium for guns. No thanks.

Brutus Out

Yeah, even years ago they were the cream of the crop (loved their stuff too much) when I lived in Issaquah & I'd go to Everett to buy.

YOU MUST COME WITH YOUR OWN GUN OR WITH A FRIEND. SOLO SHOOTERS WILL NOT BE RENTED FIREARMS, UNLESS THEY OWN A FIREARM.

Many years ago there was a "rash" of people renting a gun to go shoot themselves here. There was one shop/range that had several of them in a fairly short time frame. IIRC Wades was the one I kept seeing in the news for this. Lawyers being what they are many ranges started to get leery. Can imagine what their liability bond must be. The one I use a lot, Bulls eye, has so I heard gotten the same. I'm a member so they don't bat and eye. Co worker said a while ago a couple people came in wanting to rent. When they said they had never shot at all the guy would not let them. Told them they needed to take class first. Now this is second hand, so take it FWIW. I can see why they get nervous though. Hate to see a new shooter get a hassle of any kind but the businesses owners has to protect his too. Hell if I had been standing there and heard it I would have asked if I could let them shoot with me for a while. Always up for trying to help out a newbie. Hoping that anyone who learns will also vote to keep the anti's at bay.

I'm guessing to keep people from stealing them that can't buy them legally and or to prevent a suicide incident....

Those are my top two guesses.

Happened at the Clackamas Safety Center a few years ago (2001). Guy walked in, rented a gun and bought ammo, and offed himself on the range.

(OR) Man shoots himself at public gun range (Damn!) - The Firing Line Forums
I visit tri cities in WA a lot and used to go shoot at hole in the wall. This (someone visiting and shooting solo with a rental gun) happened there as well within the last couple years or so and I ain't trying to be near any bad juju when I go shooting so sadly I shoot elsewhere when I go there now.

So if I bring my own gun, can I rent a gun then?
Each range will have it's own rules. Even at the same place they change as those in charge see the need. The one I go to at this time follows: If a member you can walk in with nothing and rent by yourself. If not a member, but with at least 2 of you, then you can rent. If alone and you have your own gun, then you can rent. Just can't go in and say I want to rent with nothing and being alone. They also now ask if you are new. If so if you have ever shot? If you have but are new there they want you to read their rules. If you say never shot at all they are I hear turning you away. Saying go take a class first. Now this could change any time and will be different at different operations too.

This past summer, a guy shot himself, right in front of his own brother, at a range in New Jersey

<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>

I can't begin to imagine how horrendous that was for the brother & everyone at the range to experience. 2nd time it happened at that range too (both this year).

Each range will have it's own rules. Even at the same place they change as those in charge see the need. The one I go to at this time follows: If a member you can walk in with nothing and rent by yourself. If not a member, but with at least 2 of you, then you can rent. If alone and you have your own gun, then you can rent. Just can't go in and say I want to rent with nothing and being alone. They also now ask if you are new. If so if you have ever shot? If you have but are new there they want you to read their rules. If you say never shot at all they are I hear turning you away. Saying go take a class first. Now this could change any time and will be different at different operations too.

Back east there is a lot of attention in the media and local gov on ranges...the one I used to belong to had all 1st time shooters at the range run though a quick basic firearms safety/operations test & then a range rules run down. If you didn't know the basics, taking a very inexpensive short training session was a requirement to use the range. An experienced shooter could bring a new shooter to the range to teach them how to shoot at the RSO's discretion. Plenty of RSOs keeping an eye on things. I think all the ranges I shot over the past several years had the limits on rentals.

I've taken personal responsibility for dozens of first-time shooters since the early 70's. I did my best to start them off safely, helped them develop skills and accuracy, and even influenced some left-leaners to understand that 2A is not a satanic manifesto.

On the other hand, I'm very uneasy around strangers who've not handled firearms before. Or perhaps they're experienced gun owners with really bad habits? How would I know? I don't hang around for long anywhere that I see incompetent behavior with guns.

So are certain range/business owners prudent for not handing guns and ammo over to possible first-timers? Their place. Their call.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads