Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Range report - Zastava M57

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Ballistic, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Ballistic

Ballistic Salem, Oregon Active Member

Well, I just bought a brand new Zastava M57.

This is the new clone of the TT-33. It shoots 7.62x25 and has a few structural differences from the original. It has a magazine safety, so you can't shoot without a magazine in place in addition to a regular safety.

It came feeling pretty rough and I had a hard time working the slide. But this improved with the initial cleaning.

The trigger is a bit heavier than i like. When i got to shoot it, i was disappointed to find that it shot left and very low. It was only after 30 or 40 rounds did i discover that i was really rusty and need to get out and shoot more. After a while my shooting skills came back. But it was still shooting a bit left and low. I noticed that the sights were dovetailed and though it is sold as having fixed sights, i took a punch and hammer and made a slight adjustment.

When i felt that my shooting was at its best, i put 9 rounds of my Romanian surplus at about 25 feet and you can see the results. That’s about the best i can shoot, so i’m very happy with the gun. Once it breaks in i think it will only improve.
    M57target_zpsd340d6fc.jpg

M57target_zpsd340d6fc.jpg

2. 45 for me

45 for me Oregon Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review. Do you have a picture of the pistol? What ammo are you shooting? Also, a heavy trigger can move your shots to the lower left, are you going to try and improve the trigger?

3. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

The original did not have a manual safety. The heavy trigger was the safety more or less... If you ever run across a used bullet proof vest, shoot it, those 7.62 Tokarevs will zip right through...

4. Ballistic

Ballistic Salem, Oregon Active Member

I found that the gun had a rather heavy trigger. In fact, I thought it was comparable to the CZ-52, which was notorious for its trigger. I am not going to do anything to the gun until I feel it has really broken in. I have a Romanian TT-33 and it's trigger is quite nice; maybe this one will loosen up with some use. It shoots the 7.62x25 which used to be one of the cheapest bullet around, but stores go wise to that. It's a small, fast bullet with a heavy copper jacket, so it's great for punching holes in things and doing serious damage to fruits and vegetables. The safety is built into the slide. F1YM57.jpg