Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Range report: Ruger LCR

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by soberups, May 8, 2010.

1. soberups

soberups Newberg Well-Known Member

I took my new Ruger LCR to the range today, and I am very happy with its potential as a summer pocket pistol.

It is light years ahead of the Taurus 85UL and S&W 442 in terms of ergonomics and trigger pull. It will be replacing my current EDC, a S&W 640 .357, as soon as the Galco Pocket Protector holster I ordered for it arrives.

My time at the range was limited, but I was able to shoot off a full box of Remington 125 gr +P JHP's which is the ammo I will be carrying. Offhand, with slow aimed fire, I was able to get 2" groups at 7 yards. It hit to point of aim. Rapid fire gave me palm-sized groups at the same range. The trigger is light, smooth and crisp. Its one of the best DA triggers I have ever used. I did not test it for accuracy at 25 yards, but I have no reason to believe it would fare worse than any other 2" snub at this range.

Recoil is stout but manageable. The grip on this gun is truly amazing; it keeps the bore axis much lower in my hand than my Taurus 85, so the gun is a natural "pointer" and the deep finger grooves and soft textured rubber soak up the recoil and help it stay on target under recoil for fast followup shots. This isnt a plinking gun; after 50 rounds my palm was sore and tingling, but for CCW that is not an issue.

2 other advantages this gun has over its competitors are the oversized trigger guard which keeps it from beating up your trigger finger, and the rounded cylinder release knob which keeps it from chewing up your thumb.

Another thing I really like about this gun is the location of its "Hillary Hole" (lock). It has one in order to comply with Kalifornia requirements...but its located underneath the grip so you will never even see it. To use it, you must first remove the grip using the screwdriver head on the back of the "key". For those of us who have no use for this worthless appendage, its "out of sight, out of mind".

There are only 2 minor issues with this gun. The stock sights are black and very hard for me to see; I dont know why Ruger didnt at least put a hi-visibilty blade on the front. I will be looking for a replacement. The other issue is that the grip caused some interference when I tried to use a speed loader. It is still possible to use one but if you plan on doing so you might need to Dremel a bit of material off of the grip. I use Bianchi Speed Strips to carry my reloads, so this wont be an issue for me.

At 13.5 ounces, this gun just vanishes in the front pocket of the denim or khaki shorts I normally wear. I have been carrying it around the house (unloaded) with no holster, and I hardly know it is there.

Anyone who is tempted to carry a .380 mousegun such as an LCP or a Keltec 3AT for a summer "pocket pistol" would be well advised to consider the LCR instead. I got mine for $437 which is about $100 to $150 more than the mouseguns are going for, but I will save that much on ammo since I will not need to reliability-test the gun with 200+ rounds of the carry ammo I plan on using. Anyone who has price-checked premium .380 ammo lately will know what I am talking about. And, a .38 Special using +P ammo of 125 or 158 grains is a far better choice for defense than any .380 round.

The 5 round capacity is certainly an issue compared with the 7 or 8 rounds on tap in the mouseguns...but the tradeoff is 100% reliability, no jams, a better trigger, and far better ballistic performance.

I give this gun an A minus grade. It would be an A+ if it had better sights and didnt hang up speedloaders.

2. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

I appreciate the review, as this gun is on my short list for a new purchase. Regarding the sights: before a big purchase, try some typewriter correction fluid! "White-out" is easy to apply and touch up, and easy to remove with any gun cleaning solvent if you don't like the effect. You will find that it is incredibly bright in poor light---each cellulose fiber in White-out acts as a single lightpipe, and together gather a LOT of light for the shooter. I use it on the front sight of all of my guns....................elsullo :thumbup:

3. 86-0134

86-0134 north willamette valley Member

wheel guns are not 100% reliable.

4. motoman98

motoman98 Gresham, OR Active Member

Like Ivory soap : 99 and 44/100%

5. soberups

No mechanical device is 100% reliable...but a revolver comes real close. :D

6. littlegsxr

littlegsxr Below Canada. Active Member

I just got the LCP with the Crimson Trace Laser. This thing is nice, I can conceal it in Board shorts, under my shirt at work, or in any nook or cranny. It isn't my 1911, but I can't carry that in ANY clothing combo. A 380 in the pocket is better than being empty handed when I need it.:gun15:

7. ChicagoGuy

ChicagoGuy Woodinville, WA Member

I'll second Soberups' review. I picked this up about two weeks, for the exact same reasons and very pleased with how well it handles.

Before I bought it, I test fired it with both the Hogue and CT grips, and ended up getting the CT grips. I'm normally big on Hogue, and have them on my GP100, but the LCR fit my hand a tiny bit better with the CT grips. Recommend holding both before buying.

8. Will

Will Everett Active Member

And now Ruger is releasing the LCR in .357 mag. A sweet pistol just got a little sweeter! From what I read it will be about $50 more than the .38 spl model. I'm still saving to buy my LCR so by the time I have the $ the .357 model will be in the shops.

9. soberups

If you have the opportunity to do so, try renting one at a range and firing some full Magnum loads thru it before you spend the extra $50. My prediction is that fast, accurate followup shots will be basically impossible due to the recoil. I would bet that 99% of the people who buy one of these will wind up carrying it with .38+P loads anyway, which sort of defeats the purpose since the cheaper .38spl version of the gun is also rated for +P. I can see the value in the Magnum chambering for full-sized or steel-framed revolvers that will be used for plinking, but the LCR isnt a plinking gun and the .38+P load is plenty powerful enough for its intended purpose.