JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up my new toy at the expo center last weekend as well as 2 Wilson combat mags. Finally today I got to go down to Albany and try it out. I was worried about the two Springfield mags that came witht he weapon as they were hard to load. well, to my surprise, they both worked flawlessly while I had 3 FTF with one of the Wilsons. It was always with the first round but worked well after that. Now, I am not the best shot but I had some very nice groups at 10 yards with a few strays which I am sure were my fault. I put around 100 rounds through it, less then I wanted to but I had a ACOG that needed sighted in. as far as the trigger, it was another part I was worried about but the pull was light and the break crisp. I was surprised, it was alot better then either of my HKs. Now my two hard choices, do I buy more Wilson mags or more Springfield. also, do I want to sell of my HK usp 40 now as it has become redundant.

I picked up my new toy at the expo center last weekend as well as 2 Wilson combat mags. Finally today I got to go down to Albany and try it out. I was worried about the two Springfield mags that came witht he weapon as they were hard to load. well, to my surprise, they both worked flawlessly while I had 3 FTF with one of the Wilsons. It was always with the first round but worked well after that. Now, I am not the best shot but I had some very nice groups at 10 yards with a few strays which I am sure were my fault. I put around 100 rounds through it, less then I wanted to but I had a ACOG that needed sighted in. as far as the trigger, it was another part I was worried about but the pull was light and the break crisp. I was surprised, it was alot better then either of my HKs. Now my two hard choices, do I buy more Wilson mags or more Springfield. also, do I want to sell of my HK usp 40 now as it has become redundant.

Wilson magazines are very good.

Did you let the magazines sit loaded for a few days before you used them?

If you did and you are actually having a problem, look into your extractor. A lot of 1911's come from the factory with improper exractor tension. People shrug this off as, "Breaking in." Which is, rubbish.

yeah, they did sit since saturday evening. It could be the extractor but given it was only 1 mag that had problems I am betting more on it being the mag. Next time I get to the range I will see if it happens again.

yeah, they did sit since saturday evening. It could be the extractor but given it was only 1 mag that had problems I am betting more on it being the mag. Next time I get to the range I will see if it happens again.

It does not matter than it was only 1 magazine. I have seen a lot of new 1911's that have too much extractor tension, which is why so many new 1911's do not properly feed the first round or two. A round or two into the magazine you have the breach and recoil cycle helping to bring the slide into battery. On the first round in a magazine you do not really have the same properties applied - not to mention the round is sitting on top as oppose to being thrown into the cycle. You should be able to ease the slide forward by hand - the round should feed without any issues and the slide should go into battery.

If you do not know how to tune your extractor, have someone who knows how do it for you. It only takes a couple of minutes and you can do it at the range. If you know what you are doing you can do it without removing the slide.

I know some SA's don't behave well with Wilsons, or at least that used to be the case. Use the loaded coupon and pick up mags from SA- best price you'll pay!!!

I know some SA's don't behave well with Wilsons, or at least that used to be the case. Use the loaded coupon and pick up mags from SA- best price you'll pay!!!

I have been using Wilson magazines for years on a variety of Springfields without any issues along with many other people, agencies, and detachments.

Many people refuse to accept that their 1911 is not built/set up properly - it is easier for them to blame a product such as a known and trusted magazine.

His described issue is indicative of an extractor ailment.

Since the OP has a new 1911 he should run it through the 1911 extractor test.

I use Wilson Combat officer mags in my SA Ultra Compact with no problems. I also use the 3 SA mags that came with the Ultra Compact with no problems either.

The ONE thing that has happened to me was that the extractor hook broke midway through the second mag after I bought the gun. The previous owner put maybe 50 rounds through it before I bought it from him.

I have read many complaints about SA extractors breaking like mine did, and they will replace it free under warranty if you send your gun back to Springfield. I decided to buy a Wilson Combat Bulletproof extractor, and had it installed locally. It has been flawless since, no FTF, FTE, anything.

Congrats on an awesome 1911. Give the Wilson mags some time loaded, and they should work just fine in the long run.

-------------------------------------------------------

Capitalism is BO$$!!!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews