JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
1. Absolutely the finest SHOOTING revolver I have ever shot. Almost no muzzle 'whip' and negligible recoil - even with factory .357 ammo. It's a 4" that shoots like a 6"
2. Accuracy - not completely determined at this time as all I had was a mixed bag of factory ammo and some of my handloads. It was easy to bounce a beer can at 25 yards shooting instinctively but true accuracy will have to wait until can shoot some good reloads.
3. Sights. It would have been nice if Ruger had put a red plastic inset style on the front to complement the white outline rear so either that gets changed or I will put firesights on it.
4. Grips - the jury is still out on the factory Houge style finger groove but I think I will need to go with the Pachmayr 'Presentation' style - and old favorite of mine.
5. Trigger/Action - not bad for out of the box. SA is about 5 lbs with a bit of creep but a clean let off and NO take up.
6. Fit/Finish - As good or better than any LATE model S & W. All parts fit together perfectly with no gaps, are square with no misalignment.
7. Assessment - Possibly the best 'modern' revolver in it's price range. I could find no Smith & Wesson in this price range that matched its quality.

I really like mine as well, when I go shootin' the GP is one of the guns that always gets shot, in fact sometimes I have to ask to shoot my own gun because others like it so much as well. With my pet hand load today I shot 48 rounds into a 1 1/2" group at 10 yds.

I love my 6" SS model.

Came with the wood inserts which are very comfortable but I switched mine out for the houge rubber grips for hunting so that I didn't ruin the wood (and no I'm not planning on parting with the wood ones ;)). The rubber grips change the feel of the angle for me but after a few chambers I got the feel for it.

My front sight is black with an orange highlight facing the shooter. It's not bad at all. I never even considered trying a fiber optic style sight, that may be nice as long as it didn't detract from the ease of removal from a holster.

Trigger is factory nice but I think about just polishing it a bit to see if it improves it.

Accuracy is as good as I can shoot... I can hit a plate every time I pull the trigger at most distances so that's good enough or me (it's my goto gun at home).

Cost me a Yugo SKS but every time I shoot it I am happy I made the trade;).

1. Absolutely the finest SHOOTING revolver I have ever shot. Almost no muzzle 'whip' and negligible recoil - even with factory .357 ammo. It's a 4" that shoots like a 6"
2. Accuracy - not completely determined at this time as all I had was a mixed bag of factory ammo and some of my handloads. It was easy to bounce a beer can at 25 yards shooting instinctively but true accuracy will have to wait until can shoot some good reloads.
3. Sights. It would have been nice if Ruger had put a red plastic inset style on the front to complement the white outline rear so either that gets changed or I will put firesights on it.
4. Grips - the jury is still out on the factory Houge style finger groove but I think I will need to go with the Pachmayr 'Presentation' style - and old favorite of mine.
5. Trigger/Action - not bad for out of the box. SA is about 5 lbs with a bit of creep but a clean let off and NO take up.
6. Fit/Finish - As good or better than any LATE model S & W. All parts fit together perfectly with no gaps, are square with no misalignment.
7. Assessment - Possibly the best 'modern' revolver in it's price range. I could find no Smith & Wesson in this price range that matched its quality.

Dumped my Taurus SS 4"357 seven shot for my GP100. Best deal I've made in years.

Yep I can't find anything I dislike about it yet and doubt I will. A slightly radiused and larger and hammer spur would have been nice but other than that I no longer need a S & W M-19!

I've had an SP101 for 20 years, great small revolver. The GP100 is on my list of guns I'd like to own someday. But today is not that day. Until then, I'll just dream :(

I love mine, very similar feelings about it, but in 6 inch recoil is almost non existent :)

I polished (to a shine) the internals, super super smooth now, i also lightened the spring kit (ten bucks) with the lightest of 3 options.

I'm better DA target shooting now, SA is a little light for my liking, might try one of the stronger trigger return springs.

Fitted the Wiley Clapp grips as i don't like how the Hogues look, they fell alright though.

GP100-2.jpg

I bought a GP100 blued 6" back in 2011, Loved the feel of the gun but never could get it to shoot right for me. Bought a SP101 the next year and was shocked by how much better the trigger was and how well it shot. Kept shooting the GP100 for another year before i realized its timing was just a little off, causing a gig in the DA trigger. It would try to turn the cylinder before the lock had completely dropped out. Once enough pressure was applied to get past that it jumped past the rest of the trigger stroke. There just was no way to pull the trigger smoothly. I should have sent it back to Ruger to get it fixed but sold it. My heart just wasn't into her anymore.

Yea I wish mine had the wood inset style grips but I can live with them until I decide what I really want but I suspect it will be the Pachmayr Presentation like I have always had and like I put on my inherited Smith Victory shown in another thread. A friend of mine has a blued 6" GP he bought used a couple years ago and it has the wood style so maybe he will like my Houges and we can trade. One thing so far I do NOT like about the GP (over say a S & W) is the smaller diameter ejector rod that does not rotate with the cylinder. It does not have that nice smooth operation like the Smith does but I can see why Ruger did not use this design. Not a huge deal as the trade off for the stronger crane design of the Ruger is obviously what they were after.

I had to look up those presentation grips, they're pretty nice, and a sensible price too, very close to the Ruger Wiley Clapps on mine.

If your ejector rod doesn't feel nice then i'd recommend just cleaning it all out when you finally detail strip the gun. It's not really technically feasible to 100% pull down the cylinder, but you can get all but one part out, and it's enough for full cleaning and lubrication, mine is slick.

Yea I am thinking about doing JUST the red inset front sight as opposed to the full - tilt Firesight set. I shot a M-19 for years with the red inset front and never had an issue. Yea the quick change is pretty cool. I took mine out and re-blued it and painted the grooves on the ramp white but thats just to get by with until I decide on a new sight but I think the red inset is going to be the one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top