JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Gun Tested
Colt Detective Special SF-VI

Ammo Used
100 rounds 130gr. WWB FMJ .38spl
50 rounds 158gr. MagTech FMC-Flat .38spl.
20 rounds 135gr. Gold Dot GDHP .38spl+p

ColtSF-VI.jpg

Build Quality
This gun is an exceptionally well made firearm. It is solid and nicely finished. Colt really knows how to make a nice revolver. The only negative to this model (and many Colt revolvers) is there does tend to be some sharp corners. This gun has none of those since I did a little fluff-n-buff on it when I bought it.

Performance
Since this gun is a revolver you would expect nothing less that perfect performance and it does not disappoint. The gun functioned flawlessly. It pointed naturally and was very comfortable in my hand. The wood grips I customized for it made it very easy to hold onto while shooting. This gun is a DAO model so it did take more effort to shoot accurately, but a combination of the solid stainless build, the natural pointability (for lack of a real word) of the gun, and an excellent smooth and crisp DAO trigger made this pony easy to tame...even with +p ammo.

Accuracy
This gun is a DAO model with a bobbed hammer so there is no single action option. That makes shooting jagged little holes very unlikely at any distance. At least it does for me. Still, I found the gun was dead on target at 50ft. It grouped very nicely for a small self defense gun. I also found it to shoot nicely from the hip and to be quite capable of hitting its target at 90ft. with a little extra effort and focus.

DSIItarget.jpg

Flaws
The gun did have some very sharp edges when I first got it, but that was easily taken care of with a bt of sanding. The gun is also a bit heavy and a bit thick due to the fact it is solid stainless and has a six shot cylinder...but those are also pluses in some ways.

Final Impression
This is probably the best snubbie revolver i have ever owned. It shots great, carries easily, performs flawlessly, points naturally, and looks amazing on top of it all. It has taken it's rightful place as my new EDC and will probably stay there for quite some time (possibly until I find a decently priced Colt Magnum Carry). If you want to take a few minutes to take off the sharp edges you would have an amazing gun if you bought one. If you prefer a DA/SA capability then there is also a model with that trigger set up.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top