JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, i almost have enough money saved up for a new pistol. Owning nothing but milsurp, i thought it'd be nice to own at least one new gun. I have it down to either a Beretta 92FS or a CZ85B Combat. To make a final test, i borrowed a friend's Beretta M9 and his CZ 75B and hit the range. Ten rounds at the same target, same ammo (Speer Lawman), and same distance (25 feet).

Since i had room i also shot my Walther P1 and my CZ-82.

I am definitely buying the CZ! If i can only find one.

I'm a big fan of the '85 combat. The grip feels custom made for my hand, right up there with a Browning Hi Power. I'm a southpaw so the ambi controls were important to me. mine came with adjustable sights. I ended up fitting a target hammer to the gun & it made a huge improvement on the trigger. nothing wrong with the 92, the cz just fits me so much better.
20120401_070359.jpg

20120401_070359.jpg

Ditto on the CZ grip - which is one of he reasons I bought a 75BD. I also wanted an all steel gun and when I first held the CZ it was a done deal. Mine does not shoot POA either and groups anything about 3" low and 1" left at about 20 yards but I am looking into some new sights as the stock sights are a little small anyway. With 100 grain bullets and 4.2 gr. of Bullseye it feels like shooting a .22.

If you were aiming for the center of each diamond, I'd rather have the Beretta for its apparently better mating between POA/POI

You're right. The M9 is more accurate, but less precise. The CZ ws more precise, but less accurate. But since the CZ85 Combat has adjustable sights, i could more that precision to center target. That's why i would pick the CZ.

I loved the Beretta, but this is a lot of money for me and i can only pick one. Adjustable sights on a precision handgun is a win-win! On top of it all, the CZ is cheaper:D; what's there not to like...

Last Edited:
I have two CZs; one 75 and 85 Combat, both circa 1994. With handloads the 85 will do 2" groups at 25 yards while the 74 will do 1.5" groups. The 85 had adjustable sights while the 75 does not. However, adjustable sights for the 75 are available at reasonable cost. FYI I have heard that CZs were designed or grew out of the need for a double action based on the Browning HP.

You're right. The M9 is more accurate, but less precise. The CZ ws more precise, but less accurate. But since the CZ85 Combat has adjustable sights, i could more that precision to center target. That's why i would pick the CZ.

I loved the Beratta, but this is a lot of money for me and i can only pick one. Adjustable sights on a precision handgun is a win-win! On top of it all, the CZ is cheaper:D; what's there not to like...

I wouldn't rely on adjustable sights for a duty gun, holstered or on the nightstand. Yes, adjustments can be made to fixed sight weapons, but that wouldn't explain or correct the fliers on both CZ targets.

you should also check gun broker for Czech police trade in pre B 75's. there was a bunch going for around $300. Paintwork was a bit rough, but mechanically sound. Some prefer the single action on the pre b over the B, they didn't have the firing pin block safety.

I have a CZ75B and also compared it to the Beretta before I bought it. My range test was very similiar to your - The CZ is very consistent with a very tight grouping while the Beretta is not quite as tight. I would contribute the Beretta's lack of consistency (at least for me) to its much wider grip. I felt like I was holding a soda can. The CZ's grip is very natural and comfortable. I think that contributed to the repeatability of the pistol.

My only gripe about the CZ75 is its trigger out the box. Very gritty, even in SA. Took a few hundrend dry fire and 200-300 rounds down the range to smooth it out. But still not the best. I am thinking doing a trigger job on it.

Also, while you are out shopping for a CZ, if you can find one. :) I just picked up a CZ P-01. OMG, it's flat out amazing. I am even more accurate with the P-01. I've called CZ-USA and they are out of stock for the next 3 months due to the Czech military placing a large order and that took up all production capacity. There is litereally nothing left in the market. I was lucky to find one used for a reasonable price.

BRAGGERT!.....I've got the same gun in .40. But I prefer the REAL imported Czech beer, Czechvar! Of course, next time I'm down mid-coast I'll need to look up that there NA ZDRAVI stuff, love a good pilsner.

I really enjoy 'em, the gun and the beer. Don't you just love the little raised spots in the grips that fit soo nice in the "Crotch" between your fingers?
Mmmm.

Mike

Don't you just love the little raised spots in the grips that fit soo nice in the "Crotch" between your fingers?
Mmmm.

Mike

Yes I do Mike!

oli700, did you finally find the CZ you were looking for? I found my P-01 just last weekend. So stoked!
I did, stroke of luck......got about 500 rounds through it . Been reloading a grip of 9's for this thing,I am quite taken by it at the moment. The P-01 is the pistol that made me see the light.....I had to have the full size version.

this is the best walk through I have found for the CZ w/decocker trigger job. I did it to mine and it is nicer. I also went from a 20# hammer spring to a 16#
Disassembly and polishing CZ SP01 Tactical *PIC HEAVY* - Calguns.net

you should also check gun broker for Czech police trade in pre B 75's. there was a bunch going for around $300. Paintwork was a bit rough, but mechanically sound. Some prefer the single action on the pre b over the B, they didn't have the firing pin block safety.

Yep, Wideners had them online for $300. Wish I'd done it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top