JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Apologies if the title is misleading, but I wasn't sure how to otherwise word it.

Do any of you ever take the opportunity, when the conditions are right, to take a shot with your carry gun? I'm not talking about doing stupid bubblegum, but using a chance to test that everything is cool if you need to use yer gun. I'm also not talking about any times you actually take your handgun to the range. I'm talking about; you've been carrying the gun, pull it from holster and shoot. Not a test of the operator, a random test of the tool. A surprise inspection, if you will.

The reason I ask,

Today my grandson and I were out riding dirt bikes and shooting the .22. During our time shooting, he asked if I would shoot my pistol. I didn't have any ammo except what was in the gun, but I though, "What would it hurt to shoot one round?"
So, I took my shot. Hit the "bullseye". Looked like a hero.

Then it dawned on me that I'd never, ever done that before and I wondered if it was something I should have been doing all along.

Thoughts?

Haha, I personally have not but a few of my friends admitted years ago that they did so after having the urge. One would do it in the backroads between Gresham and Clackamas and the other one said he would just go in his backyard and pop a round into the ground because he felt like it. I thought about doing it in my backyard during July 4th since there was so much noise anyways.

I've done it a few times, in the past. However, I don't like driving around with gun shot residue on my hands and a fired pistol on me! Also, I don't want to clean the pistol!
When I go to the range I shoot my CC gun, including my SD rounds. Then I don't mind cleaning it with the other firearms, a little more carefully with a more careful lube job. ;)

14c71cc98b4ce9bd27de4f03def68fec.jpg

No.

But I have twice had the occasion to use a self-defense pistol to put down a small animal hit by a car.

I usually shoot a handgun intended for self-defense enough times that I am fairly sure it will function properly before carrying it for that purpose.

I had a Taurus .357 mag Titanium Tracker that had a really tight cylinder gap (less than 0.001") but I didn't learn that until I put a box of ammo through it and it locked up tight. I've since come to learn that Taurus firearms are a real hit and miss when it comes to quality control.

Every time i go out shooting, i'll make sure to get at least mag through it, it 'cycles' the ammo in the most expedient way :D

But yes, surprise 'testing' is good for you and it.

I shoot the mag of ammo I have in my carry gun every time I shoot, even at the range. Straight from the holster to pulling the trigger, no inspection but no speed drills either.

So far the first bullet has always gone bang - I'm fact I can't think of a time my first mah dump ever failed me.

If it did I wouldn't be carrying that gun anymore until the issue was fixed.

About every 6 months I dump the hollows in my carry gun at the range and replace. Just seems like a good thing to do. Probably not necessary, but if I have the ammo to replace it and the funds to replace those reloaded into the magazine, why not? I see it as replacing a battery prematurely on something like a pacemaker, or a red dot who states the battery lasts 5 years...

Everything I fire is under extremely tight control protocol. asking me to fire randomly is like asking a samurai to randomly slash away at corn stalks; no purpose and no meaning

Everything I fire is under extremely tight control protocol. asking me to fire randomly is like asking a samurai to randomly slash away at corn stalks; no purpose and no meaning
You should probably read the OP's post, specifically the part where he knows the thread title is misleading. I believe it's the very first line he wrote.

Of course not I have a glock, what could go wrong. It's perfect.

Joking.

I do use it at the range or woods when I go shooting.
I'm supremely confident in it going bang everytime. Or I wouldn't carry it.

I did stop one time out in the bend area with my brother and his girlfriend. They were drunk, I was the DD. As usual.
And she was being SUPER annoying. We stopped on BLM land so she could pee. Right as she squatted I emptied my mag into the hillside. Just happened to be my favorite shooting spot.

She almost fell over in her own waste.
I thought it was funny

Of course not I have a glock, what could go wrong. It's perfect.

Joking.

I do use it at the range or woods when I go shooting.
I'm supremely confident in it going bang everytime. Or I wouldn't carry it.

I did stop one time out in the bend area with my brother and his girlfriend. They were drunk, I was the DD. As usual.
And she was being SUPER annoying. We stopped on BLM land so she could pee. Right as she squatted I emptied my mag into the hillside. Just happened to be my favorite shooting spot.

She almost fell over in her own waste.
I thought it was funny

That's funny just reading about it:D:eek:

I do a lot of shooting of "targets of opportunity" when out and about on public land.
After making sure I have a clear and safe back stop , shooting and trying to hit that odd colored rock or left behind can , a pine cone etc ... is a good way to test your gear and shooting skill.
It can show you how you shoot after walking around a bit , in the rain or poor light etc ...
I find this to be good practice for when I hunt and do not see why it wouldn't help with my shooting or carrying of my concealed carry pistol.
Andy

Last Edited:
When I lived in Lakewood I would drive...nevermind
I have stopped and shot a mag of good stuff just cause I had a backstop and a loaded gun,sure
Personally I think it's a waste to shoot of "old" ammo.
Most will be good for manty years

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top