JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I committed to purchasing the 8lb jug of Ramshot Competition powder that has been lingering in the classifieds for awhile.

Ramshot claims that it is not position sensitive and the burn rate is right next to red dot in the charts. Published loads exist for pistol loads in 380, 9mm, .40 s&w, 38spl, 45acp and 45 lc. If you have used the powder in pistol loads how did you like it?

I am interested in trying it for reduced loads in rifle cartridges, like red dot is used in "The Load". Has anybody here tried Ramshot Competition in reduced rifle loads?

I think I will try a lighter load than the full 13grains specified in the "The Load".

Harris had written about using 6 to 7 grains of powder in this post. I am going to use a Marlin 30-30 to test out the first Ramshot Competition loads. I may ladder them up to 13gr and see if I can get there with out blowing anything up.

"For gas-check bullets loaded without the gas- checks, for cases like the .303 British, 7.62 NATO, 7.62x54R Russian and 30-06, I use 6-7 grains of almost any fast burning powder. These include, but are not limited to Bullseye, WW231, SR-7625, Green Dot, Red Dot or 700-X. I have also had fine results with 8 to 9 grains of medium rate burning pistol or shotgun powders, such as Unique, PB, Herco, or SR-4756 in any case of .303 British or larger."

Source: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?13425-Cast-Bullet-Loads-for-Military-Rifles-Article

I committed to purchasing the 8lb jug of Ramshot Competition powder that has been lingering in the classifieds for awhile.

Ramshot claims that it is not position sensitive and the burn rate is right next to red dot in the charts. Published loads exist for pistol loads in 380, 9mm, .40 s&w, 38spl, 45acp and 45 lc. If you have used the powder in pistol loads how did you like it?

I am interested in trying it for reduced loads in rifle cartridges, like red dot is used in "The Load". Has anybody here tried Ramshot Competition in reduced rifle loads?
Have you checked with the powder manufacturer to see if they have any suggestions on using that powder for a reduced rifle load, similar to Red Dot and Unique? If not, that may be a good place to start.

I've recently started loading reduced loads for 30-30 with Unique. It would be good to know of some other powders that are suitable as well, since you can't always get the powder you desire easily these days.

Last Edited:
Have you checked with the powder manufacturer to see if they have any suggestions on using that powder for a reduced rifle load, similar to Red Dot and Unique? If not, that may be a good place to start.

I've recently started loading reduced loads for 30-30 with Unique. It would be good to know of some other powders that are suitable as well, since you can't always get the powder you desire easily these days.
Unique is a great one with lots of data available but it's hard to get right now and I don't have much in my stash. I have not contacted Hodgdon but I can guess they will not be very helpful. I will start low and work up carefully, paying lot's of attention to the fired brass. I should order some of those Kevlar gloves:)

Last Edited:
Here is some data for 30-30 using a number of different pistol/shotgun powders. I think 5 or 6gr of Ramshot Competition will be a safe starting point in the 30-30 cartridge.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top