JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

When loading the patched round ball do you bounce the ramrod?

• Total voters
Reactions
When you load a PRB do you bounce the ramrod to finish seating the ball? Feel free to comment.

In my case it seems to depend on what I'm loading. Dueling pistols have a separate rod with a large ball on the end that makes it easy to seat all the way.

My big bore rifles/tradegun get loaded with a traditional wooden rod so I seem to end up doing the bounce to finish seating the ball.

Small bore squirrel rifle gets the push treatment using my short starter to give the final push on the ramrod.

Last Edited:
I do not ... but then I use a tight but not real tight patch and ball combo in my guns.
I do scribe a mark on my ramrods so I know if I seated my load all the down or to see if the gun has a load...
Andy

Just for fun , here are some ramrod tips and ends from some original rifles.
Andy
Rod Ends.jpg

Last Edited:
Depends o the projectile for me and the arm I am loading. Round Ball I usually seat over a fairly tight lubed patch and a little bounce is all I generally need. for Mini Ball or other conical bullets, I have to use special rod ends to keep from deforming the bullet, and those get a firm push to seat over the powder. For Bullets seated with a felt wad, I generally press them instead of bounce, more consistent performance.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top