JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Would anyone know if the Ramline synthetic stocks for the Winchester 94 are any good? Another thread got me to thinking about this as an option to equip the .30/30 with said whilst knocking about the forest and, therefore, protect the original wood.

The stock sets look like this:

ram_94001.jpg

The Winchester in question looks like this:

triente1.png

Thanks!

We're talking about a set of parts that can be easily swapped on and off, guys. Believe me, I get it, and then some, with respect to this classic. I've owned, hunted with, and in one case, restored such a lever-gun. A permanent change to a synthetic set would be unthinkable. But a swap that can be done in a manner of minutes is quite another. The question wasn't if such a set is aesthetically pleasing, because it obviously isn't, but rather if said was a decently produced item to protect the wood of an existing rifle. Nothing more, nothing less. Sheez. :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
I ran across a picture of this rifle and liked the looks of it.
Here's a write up explaining what he did.

444BlackShadow.jpg

Apparently it's considered proper etiquette to a post naked picture of your girl on this site. So, here she is! This is my second Winchester model 94 AE, chambered for .444. My first was a walnut stock model with a 20" barrel. A friend of mine now has that one (lucky bastard).
I purchased the Black Shadow as soon as it came available. One of the first things I did was modify the magazine. I replaced the short tube with a full length tube off a 30-30. I used a forward barrel band off a .44 mag. A little machine work is necessary to perform this modification. I used a milling machine, but a dremel tool could probably be used.
You have to notch and drill the barrel to fit the forward band and magazine plug.

After the magazine modification, I put a Leupold LPS 1.5-6 scope and a set of Leupold QR rings/mounts on the rig. After a while, I decided the scope detracted from the slim lines of the 94. I then mounted a set of "Ghost Ring" peep sights on it. Best iron sights I've ever used, and a perfect match.
I'm a big fan of Vero Vellini rifle slings, so a black sling and a set of Uncle Mikes QR swivels was installed.

Just about every gun I've ever owned has had a Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad, installed by yours truly. The Decelerator really tamed my .458 Winchester and my 375 Weatherby.
4,000 f/lb, 300 grain loads cause the Black Shadow to kick like a mule.
A Decelerator just didn't seem to be enough, so I opted for the Pachmayr 950! This recoil pad isn't as sexy as the Decelerator, however; it works.
The 950 is made for the likes of the .460 Weatherby and .505 Gibbs rifles.
In addition to the 950, I added 10 oz's of epoxy to the hollow, synthetic stock. This extra weight, in addition to the 950, makes this gun a pleasure to shoot.
The extra 10 oz in the stock causes this rifle to balance perfectly in your hand and the total weight is still less then the weight of the rifle with the scope.

I've loaded my own ammunition since I was 17. I'm a big believer that heavy bullets should be used in any gun. There are of course, exceptions. I do have a 180 grain Hornady XTP load that smokes through the chronograph at 3,000 fps!
I developed it for Jack Rabbits. Shooting Jacks with this round is like shooting water balloons! Taint for the squeamish, that's for sure.

My everyday walking around load utilizes a Hornady 300 grain XTP bullet and a full case of Accurate 1680 powder. This load produces right at 4,000 f/lbs of action/reaction. My hunting round is a 300 grain Swift A-frame and the same powder charge.
This round is for Winchester rifles only. It will lock-up a Marlin rifle. The Winchester is just a heavier built rifle. I only shoot bullets that have fully protected noses. Soft lead nose bullets deform slightly when loading and deform under recoil. The Swift bullet is constructed in the same manner as a Nosler Partition, except the Swift has a thicker jacket.
It's probably the best bullet available today for big game hunting with the .444.

The 20" barrel, and the absence of a muzzle break, make this rifle easy on the ears. However, it is loud! My 50 BMG is the only gun I've owned that converts smokeless powder, to noise, with greater efficiency! This little rifle is easy to carry, quick, powerful and fast shooting.
It's essentially a politically correct assault cannon.
Sure, there are more powerful guns out there, but none have all the favorable qualities this rig has, in one package.
Theodore Roosevelt would have called the .444 "Big Medicine."

I've never had the chance to play with the .444 Marlin, but published data on said is impressive. By the time I got into big-bore lever guns, I was already hooked on the .45/70, but there ain't nothing wrong with the .444. Big Medicine indeed. :)

I've seen more than one scabbarded stock busted to heck when a horse decides to squirm around on its back. moral of story.. don't let them do that. lol

I wouldn't consider a ramline stock for anything, a really durable stock? Try a laminated one, think boyds still offers one, winchester offered them for a while. Not sure if they still do.

Your pre 64 97 looks to have had the wood refinished at some point anyways.
And it can be cleaned up again.
It looks fantastic as is. And will only get better looking with honest wear. ;)

If I see you out hunting with plastic on that old fella.
I will ridicule you. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads