JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
<broken link removed>

In the wake of the recent shooting in Roseburg, OR, President Obama has made a point to not only talk openly about executive orders regarding gun control, but also plans to make a visit to Roseburg on Friday to underscore the point. He plans to talk to the families of those killed, as well as push for "common sense" gun control.

There's only one problem. It seems quite a few in Roseburg don't want him there.

One Facebook group titled "Stay Out of Roseburg" had over 800 likes in only a few hours. The Heirs of Patrick Henry, another OR-based patriot group, is already planning a rally the morning of Obama's visit, with the express purpose of making it known loud and clear that the President is not welcome in Roseburg. Obviously, this is a peaceful rally, put on by some stalwart patriots who I've had the pleasure of working with and standing next to in the past. They're good guys, and they are absolutely serious about this. Even the brother of one of the wounded had this to say when asked the million dollar question "What would you say to President Obama?"

Facebook signup here:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1642689462646090/

Just ocured to me, you should welcome him, but be honest with your opinion on gun control. It's an opportunity to insert real-life opinion on the matter - despite the price that was paid.

The MSM will be there and will cover the protest. It is worth the trip to be there. A good turnout will send a message to America!

The Anti-Obama meme in the MSM is already forming! This was a lead article Wednesday in the leftist Eugene Register Guard - a newspaper as leftist as the New York Times:

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/lo...age-to-obama-dont-bother-visiting-us.html.csp
Some Roseburg residents' message to Obama: "Don't bother" visiting us

ROSEBURG — Two friends, two coffees, two different opinions.

As Lula Foley and Kimberly Roberts met outside a Starbucks in Roseburg on Tuesday morning, the topic of President Obama's visit on Friday came up between friends.

"I think it's a good idea that he comes," Foley said.

"You do?" Roberts responded. "I don't know, I just don't."

Roberts said she feels that if more people had carried guns on the day the killer came to campus, someone could have stopped him before he took nine lives.

"If they take away all the guns, then that doesn't solve anything," Roberts said. "But it's one of those things. Something needs to change but I think it's more of a mental health issue, and education and family values, than gun control."

Roberts likened the situation to driving on a street that you know is regularly patrolled by police.

"You drive slower because you know there might be a cop on that street," she said. "He may be hidden somewhere and you don't want to get a ticket, so you automatically drive the speed limit and you drive slower. So if you start taking away all the guns, what is going to prevent people from not shooting? Because you know there's no one there to fight against them."

"We do not want him to come"

In an unscientific sampling of Roseburg area residents on Tuesday, more sided with Roberts' views than with Foley's.

Immediately after Thursday's shooting, Obama repeated a call for more gun control. That did not sit well with some Roseburg area residents.

"We do not want him to come, and the veterans don't want him to come," asserted Patti Sciapiti, who said that her husband is involved with the American Legion in Roseburg.

"I don't want him here because I don't think it was proper for him to talk about gun control when the tragedy was just happening," Sciapiti said from the parking lot at Mercy Medical Center. "He politicized it; he even said he politicized it. That's just not right. ... He's not welcome."

One man who said he is a military veteran and provided only his first name, Dave, said he doesn't plan to try to see Obama on the visit, calling him "a jerk."

"They have laws on the books now that cover gun control," he said. "They don't need any more because they already have them. All they got to do is enforce them."

Pretty fair coverage so far by KGW. They just presented the facts and gave viewers the message the protesters were trying to give. Plenty of open carry, but it was low key. The reporter mentioned that a few hundred protesters showed up

KATU, well, about as expected. Of what I saw it was mostly interviews of counter protesters complaining about Obama protesters. Every time they showed a picture of the protesters the angle made it look like only a small hand full showed up.

KOIN, like KGW gave fairly accurate coverage and the best I've seen so far including interviews with the protesters. The also brought up the topic of Executive Orders.

Actually, I was surprised by how balanced the coverage was by KOIN and KGW. I'm pretty much done with news coverage from KATU/ABC news.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top