JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
She's not doing bad stuff. She's just a brat. And Talks back. And doesn't have a clue How nasty she is acting. Anyone else deal with this?
the last thing a teenage girl THINKS she wants is her parents. she wants her friends and thats it. it will pass. just keep being a good parent and dont let her get away with everything. actions have consequences. we were 13 once.

dude. teach us.

:eek::rolleyes::eek::D:D:p:p
Between 13 and 17 you're doing well if you keep them alive. Just realize that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. She will come to you some day and tell you that she doesn't understand why or how you put up with her during those years. Just smile and hug her. It took my oldest until she was 30 to do that. She was the most hard headed. Had to learn everything the painful way. In the end all of the angst on both sides doesn't really matter. Things will work out.

She's not doing bad stuff. She's just a brat. And Talks back. And doesn't have a clue How nasty she is acting. Anyone else deal with this?

Part of it is a faze they seem to go thru. Mine did the same thing. But I had to balance correcting the nastiness and not being to harsh because some of it is normal. One good thing you have going for you is no cell phone when they were a little older I got the girls a phone with a limited amount of time and it was only for our communication. Not for her personal use if she wanted one for that they had to get a job and pay for is themselves.

Stacy

My daughter is nearly 2, but I've got some experience leading and working with youth groups and at risk kids.

Teenage years are incredibly tough. Kids will try to keep their parent's approval but will sacrifice it for friend's approval. They want to do everything on their own. Their hormones go crazy and I can't help but compare it to the terrible twos that I'm now getting.

This is a time when your daughter's social circle will make a big impact on her. I hope that you've facilitated who that circle is. She'll pick key people she idolizes - make sure they're good role models.

Realize that she's just 5 short years from being an adult. Let her make decisions, even if you see the wall she's about to run into, let her hit it. Continue to teach and guide and remind her that you're on the same team. Start having conversations about what she wants for herself in 5, 3, 1 year and get her to think bigger than the next day's drama. This is your in: you won't forget those goals, but she will and often.

Your relationship is going to morph from parent - child and leader - follower to equal teammates. Many parents can't handle this and I've seen far too many relationships fall apart. Your daughter is becoming an individual and you need to always be her dad, but start being her friend as well. Good luck, I'll be in the same boat in a short decade.

Just turned 13

Our third (and last) child was a daughter. We didn't do anything differently with her than the first two kids. Round about 13, things got pretty ugly. We had a year from Hell. It was rough. But she settled down and soon after straightened out. Just stay the course and keep doing what you think is right and it may turn out okay.

All true what everyone said above. One thing I found to be my rudder as well as theirs was to not to have different expectations just because they were girls. In raising them I was fairly mission oriented and I made sure that they knew the only thing that could hold them back was themselves. If I had boys I would have raised them the same way, well except for the dresses, chit-chat sessions and Sailor Moon years...
But my experience so far is that the teen years haven't been bad at all and my girls still have my back.

I have 15 and 18 year old daughters. I have long said that when they turn 12 they should be sent away somewhere, and not allowed to return until they turn 18 ! Actually mine were pretty bad from 12-16. Sounds like yours, didn't do bad stuff, just snotty, always thinks they are right, moody, bubblegumy, etc.but It gets better. My 18 year old hit 16 and it was like a switch flicked inside of her, all of a sudden she was helpful, respectful, asked for advice (and took it !), just a fantastic little human. My 15 year old is almost 16, and is starting to turn that way. It was rough for awhile ! Even when they were in thick of being bad, they were still really good at school and around friends parents, always volunteered to help other people, great grades, FFA officers, etc. People always told my wife and I how great out girls were.......and we always wondered if there was some mistake ! our kid? the little moody one? My wife said she was the same way herself when she was 12-18!

I'm so glad I was born male !

My daughter was an only and I remember that age. What helped the most I think is that she was involved in a family martial arts class since she was 10 and that
centered her a lot. She stayed with it till she went off to collage. It gave her an outlet for any frustrations and pressures she had with friends and school.

My 1st two kids were girls, then a boy.
My wife at the time was just the sweetest. She & I clashed often about the kids.
It was always my position that we needed to be strict. It 's easier to be tough, then lighten up, vs the other way.

Sorry, that doesn't help ya much.

That's a good idea! Also my kids don't have cell phones.
wow 13 and No cell phone! maybe thats why she has an attitude! :) I have 3 daughters 2 are grown now, youngest is 12, what i did since i didnt have a son was put them all in sports" basketball, softball etc. they balked at first of course but once they got involved they all loved it! it also gave them an outlet, built their confidence and gave them exercise which alot of kids dont do today, at 13 she may be having some issues at school with other girls? or boys? you have to dig a little to get to what is bothering them so patience and talking with them helps them to open up a little, may take some time but worth a try. Good luck!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top